Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is it possible the movie could end up being darker than the show?

SteveMorison

The movie will be on the big screen and not on the safe haven that is discovery family. Plus the movie will probably try to appeal to as wide an audience as possible and we tend to expect/forgive darker themes in movies.

• Brohoof 1

equestria girls 1 was on the big screen to, and that wasn't exactly darker, might have a bit darker themes, maybe but it wont be that much of a change. the show is now marketed for all audiences, but it's still marketed towards children the most.

• Brohoof 1

Oh absolutely. If they don't go a bit dark with the story, I'll be surprised. But let's hope it doesn't go to the point where a major character dies. I think it's likely they will because it's the movie, and if they want to go a bit dark with it, they can, and Discovery Family can't stop them. 

• Brohoof 1

Well it was going to be distributed by Lionsgate, right? So it wouldn't surprise me. I don't think it'll be that much darker though but I certainly hope so.

• Brohoof 2

Why should it be?

If the movie keeps the tone of the show, but goes a bit higher then that, i am okay with it.

Why do we need some kind of edginess?

• Brohoof 11

The movie will be on the big screen and not on the safe haven that is discovery family. Plus the movie will probably try to appeal to as wide an audience as possible and we tend to expect/forgive darker themes in movies.

Darker? Not since projectors switched from xenon bulbs to digital.

;)

Seriously though, I think it may tackle more sophisticated themes. We could have a passing of a character.

• Brohoof 2

Not really a big change, but probably slightly darker.

This happens with most every series that gets a movie in theaters, they will usually up the ante a little to make it a little more mature; as an Example, Transformers: the movie had character deaths and characters saying shit in it, and GI Joe the movie had some stuff like globulus being stabbed in the eye or duke having a spear in his chest. So I think it'll probably be more along what we see in the comics, some more violent fights or action scenes, maybe a character having a bruise or two and POSSIBLY an implied death.

But MAJORLY darker? Nah, I'm thinking maybe a little darker or more mature than the S4 Finale, but its not going to go Evangelion on us or anything.

large.png

Well, I'm not expecting characters dying or blood, but I think the movie will reach a point of mayor hopelessness, physical fights, Disney Deaths tropes, etc; as the Mane6 will probably deal with higher stakes

Knowing if they will have a bit of a darker tone at parts is all up to interpretation, but with a big budget full length movie, I'd say the potential for them to do so is much higher. They will have a bit more wiggle room with the movie for this kind of stuff. Me personally, I don't think they will get much darker than anything that we have seen in the show itself, but we'll see. 

• Brohoof 1

Well if by "dark" you mean the stakes are going to be raised, I would say that's all but inevitable. I mean if all we were going to see was two hours (or whatever) of just a season finale two parter, what would be the point in making it into a movie in the first place?

Personally, I'm really excited. I just wish we could have something, anything at this point, even if it's just the concept art of a friggin poster!

Yes I AM that hype!  :=:  :ph34r:  :love:

• Brohoof 1

They may take a more serious line with the film but they will have one eye on the rating when they're making it.  The last thing they'll want to do is isolate the key target audience so I very much doubt the film will contain anything not deemed suitable for 6-8 year old girls.

• Brohoof 2

Why should it be?

If the movie keeps the tone of the show, but goes a bit higher then that, i am okay with it.

Why do we need some kind of edginess?

I agree with this. I'm gonna guess that they're gonna take it maybe to the level of Twilight's Kingdom or The Cutie Re-Mark, possibly a little greater, but not much greater than that. If they make it too edgy, it just might lose all its "MLP-ness".

So yeah, I'm hoping the movie will be exciting, but not like an M-rated video game.

Edited by PGNatsu
  • Brohoof 1

Of course.

Anything is possible, after all.

:lol:

If the movie did end up exploring a more dark tone, I would welcome that 100%.

I think that would be really awesome and a nice change.

Grimdark for the sake of being grimdark does not generally translate to good writing. This is especially true for a series that did not start out that way, such as FiM. 

And besides, it certainly doesn't help that the show's dark moments have consistently shafted Twilight's friends and had her being the one doing anything noteworthy. No particular reason to believe that a dark film would not simply be another Twilight glorification fest. 

• Brohoof 3

Making a generally light-hearted series darker and edgier rarely ever pans out well. Hell, Final Fantasy Tactics and Megaman X are the only times I can think of a light series having a darker take and actually works in their favor. But most of the time they just come out looking stupid and too try-hard(need I remind you of Loonatics Unleashed and Shadow the Hedgehog?)

The movie should work well making the stakes higher, but you don't need to be darker to do that

And besides, it certainly doesn't help that the show's dark moments have consistently shafted Twilight's friends and had her being the one doing anything noteworthy. No particular reason to believe that a dark film would not simply be another Twilight glorification fest.

Don't really see what this has to do with the movie being darker

• Brohoof 1

Making a generally light-hearted series darker and edgier rarely ever pans out well. Hell, Final Fantasy Tactics and Megaman X are the only times I can think of a light series having a darker take and actually works in their favor.

I think that's a bit narrow minded there :P

there are lots of series that are darker than that work out well.

For example, beast wars was darker than the original transformers and it worked out well. The GI joe comics were DRASTICALLY darker than the TV show and they worked out well. Transformers comics and War for cybertron were darker and they worked out well.

Batman is a roller coaster of lighter/darker, with may darker ones, like the Arkham series or the dark knight trilogy, being seen as very good. And I know you've already mentioned megaman, but Megaman Zero was DRASTICALLY darker than the others, and was very good for it, yeah?

Not saying that trying too hard to be edgy and dark can't backfire, but there are many times when it can work. Just there has to be a *reason* for them to go that route, instead of just trying to be dark for the sake of being dark.