Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Too many facial expressions?

geartree

I have notcied the number of unique facial expressions have increased quite a bit from the beginning of the show. And I appreciate the effort being put in. But I feel like the amount of over exaggerated facial expression takes away from their meaning. Don't get me wrong, over exaggerated expressions are a great way to convey strong emotions in a cartoon, but the more you use them the less intense the emotions feel.

Anyone agree or disagree?

• Brohoof 1

More facial expressions are always welcome in my book. I'm going through season 1 again and while they don't seem stiff per say the animation has definitely improved in later seasons quite a bit, including with the facial expressions. 

That can be true in some instances. The facial expressions do add more to what a character could be thinking or how they convey development besides what they say or do, adds more I suppose.

I think it's a bit eye rolling, if they repeat certain facial expressions, just to please the crowd. Like for example, the Rainbow Dash "So awesome" face, which was reused in Daring Don't.

Other then that, i have no problems.

(edited)

I remember the times when this show felt more mature like animals of farthing wood where characters didn't turn to wacky cartoon figures like Donald Duck, Ren and Stimpy or Spongebob in every episode. Double chin-Tiara was so unnecessary -.-

Edited by Swifty

Too many? Why, you can never have too many facial expressions!

In all seriousness though, I quite like the varied facial expressions. They make the characters less static looking, in my opinion. I mean, they looked fine before, and the animation has always been something I appreciated in this show, but to me, these expressions add even more to it's quality.

Nah, I have no qualms with the liberal use of unique expressions. So long as they use the right ones for the moment, then there's no issue with it. It adds a little flair to the visual qualities.

(edited)

It's one of those things where you have to strike at the right time. The show has a decent enough library of Flash assets to get them through the average episode. It's a regular part of the show's visual language to use a custom facial expression to put an exclamation point on an emotionally-charged moment. There's such a thing as too much of a good thing, so it's good that they keep it to the most opportune times. That's not to mention that the memes that come out of these things are good fun.

Edited by Wind Chaser

I don't think they've been using strong expressions excessively, but I do like that they're using more of 'em. In my book, it's always good to have a balance of exaggerated and subtle emotions~ :derp:

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

The only other option would be for them to use the same facial expressions over and over again. Would you prefer that?

I remember the times when this show felt more mature like animals of farthing wood where characters didn't turn to wacky cartoon figures like Donald Duck, Ren and Stimpy or Spongebob in every episode. 

No you don't. Remember Feeling Pinkie Keen? That was a season 1 episode. Many other season 1 episodes also had cartoonish moments. Remember Pinkie Pie's reaction when she first met twilight? How about when Twilight drank hot sauce?

(edited)

i like the use of more varied facial expressions, it gives the charactors more depth, and some can be fun to use when online or in confersation, but i agree with you in the fact that they can be over use. when this happens it becomes a little, "urgh here we go again" but sometimes if i really like it i get happy when they use it :)

so in conclution, it depends on the facial expression and how it is used it varies from episode to episode

Edited by tesla

Variety is the spice of life as they say and I am loving the variety of expressions they have been using. It is almost like each episode is a little surprise now in what expressions they will use next.

How could one say no to more of this?

post-8308-0-32535800-1466258832_thumb.png

post-8308-0-75417600-1466258859_thumb.png

post-8308-0-52306700-1466258970_thumb.png

Saddle Row Review was awesome for expressions. XD

• Brohoof 1

I think the special facial expressions are really important, because, the more unique of them you have, the more alive do the characters seem. It also makes the characters seem more dynamic and express their feelings even more than with the regular limited face model.

(edited)

The only other option would be for them to use the same facial expressions over and over again. Would you prefer that?

No you don't. Remember Feeling Pinkie Keen? That was a season 1 episode. Many other season 1 episodes also had cartoonish moments. Remember Pinkie Pie's reaction when she first met twilight? How about when Twilight drank hot sauce?

Twilight 's hot sauce face was still okay. I can't remember any real weird face from Pinkie Keen, but i let Pinkie off the hook.

maxresdefault.jpg

No problems with faces like that.

tumblr_inline_nwqf9lPfhi1snqrk2_540.jpg

this was almost too much, but still okay.

I'm talking about the extreme facial expressions. It started to get overboard with faces like this in season 3:

sig-4567540.gasp_2_by_freyacbarber-d8wdi

wtf?

I also disliked the expressions from Crazy Twilight in season 2 and i was glad it didn't happen again too soon.

And then it got really bad with faces like Rainbow Grinch or

sig-4567540.post-5578-0-24702000-1446438

and

sig-4567540.sig-4496316.large.png

This is Spongebob stuff. Cut that out of MLP, please.

Edited by Swifty

What's the problem? This show has always been cartoonish. Complaints would only be warranted if this show was supposed to be realistic, which it isn't. I don't mean to be rude, but something tells me you have little knowledge of animation.

I think this is more about a matter of taste than knowledge of animation.

I thought this show could do without extreme faces and keep things more serious and mature, but i was wrong.

16beb04.jpg

I dont want boring repetitive animation. Cartoons is supposed to be craziness and fun. If i want repetitive animations with serious plot, i will watch animes, there are full of them.  :okiedokieloki:

MORE FACES.  :angry: