Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Potential love interest in season 6

snowflame

Season 6 has so far had 3 new characters that could potentially be love interests, Sunburst for Starlight, Tender Taps for Apple Bloom, and Ember for Spike. What you feel about this?

I rather like this. I do not assume that there necessarily will be romance included but it nice that there is a possibility for it in the future or people just can ship it. So far in the show people have been just shipping people that barely interact for the most part (obviously there are exceptions, I just want to list them). 

• Brohoof 1

I think people are just grasping at straws. There just happens to be three new characters who have interacted with characters of the opposite gender.

Or maybe love is in bloom...

• Brohoof 5

I think no for all of them. FRIENDSHIP is magic. While love magic is strong, as seen in A Canterlot Weding, it's friendship that is the most powerful magic of all, as seen a nd stated both in FiM and EqG.

Spike, Apple Bloom, and Starlight Glimmer have shown ZERO romantic attraction to Ember, Tender Taps, and Sunburst. Neither have Sunburst, Tender Taps, and Ember shown ZERO romantic attraction to Starlight Glimmer, Appe Bloom, and Spike.

Will that stop fans from shipping? Unfortunately, no, because GOTTA SHIP ANYTHING THAT BREATHES THE SAME AIR AS SOMEONE ELSE!!!

But as far as show canon, I can guarantee that all three friendships will remain strictly as that- friendships, and nothing more.

• Brohoof 1

Just as I think sexual tension is not required for a story in many movies (cough, The Force Awakens, cough), I do not think that MLP requires the element of romance for any main character. I suppose I wouldn't mind it, but Starlight and Sunburst is the only pair out of those three that I find probable (as cute as the other two can be).

And I have a suspicion that any canon pairing would "ruin" ships for a bunch of people. I don't think the writers would be so quick to risk the backlash again.

I never really understood the criticism of romance potentially being in the show. Like basically anything else in a narrative sense, whether or not the audience will be generally accepting of any particular character interaction, in this case a relationship, would be dependent upon the writing of that relationship. Now I'm no writer by any means, but I do know that following guidelines of literary technique, much like following guidelines of color theory when coming up with a color pallet, goes a long way in providing solid structure in a story, which obviously helps translate into audience acceptance.

While literary techniques are the closest thing we have to any kind of objective criteria in writing from a creative sense, the potential to mess it up is still always there lurching in the corner. I wouldn't be against it from any sort of moral sense, regardless if the shows demographic is for young children, as I think it's clearly been proven from the proliferation of the fandom that the show more practically appeals to a much wider audience than decided on the corporate level. That's not to say theming wise the show needs to tackle more mature romantic stories, there was a book recently released about Shining Armor and Cadence trying to get Flurry Heart to bed by reading bedtime stories to her. I won't spoil the conclusion outright, but the book ends on a very sweet, subtle romantic note that I see draws a beautiful picture on what the show could potentially tackle in the near future.

And perhaps this might just be the case, the dude who wrote the book is actually writing some episodes for season 6, which will be his debut appearance writing for the pony show.

Anyways, I wouldn't object to romance, the show has clearly changed quite a bit from what it once was, and injecting new stories to tell can affect the longevity of the brand in good or bad ways. It all really comes down to the writing. 

Edited by bamboozled321

People keep finding this every single season.

"Sir, these two characters had a friendly interaction with each other!" "SHIP EM!!! LET THE FLAGS FLY!!!!"

SHIPPERS!! SHIPPERS EVERYWHERE!!

Edited by The Coffee Pony
  • Brohoof 5

I don't mind the odd bit of romance involving side characters like Cadance and Shining Armour, but I really don't want to see the main cast getting involved in it.  I like the cartoon the way it is, and I especially like the fact that they have taken it this far without trying to shoehorn in love interests for everyone and thus disrupting the dynamic of the whole thing.  The whole premise of the cartoon is after all that, friendship is magic, and I for one, am quite happy to see that remain the focus

So far there isn't any evidence to suggest there will be a major romance this season there is enough evidence to suggest that they may be teasing shippers slightly. If I had to say which of them was the most likely and would make the most sense canonically I would have to say Starlight Glimmer and Sunburst.

I think no for all of them. FRIENDSHIP is magic. While love magic is strong, as seen in A Canterlot Weding, it's friendship that is the most powerful magic of all, as seen a nd stated both in FiM and EqG.

Spike, Apple Bloom, and Starlight Glimmer have shown ZERO romantic attraction to Ember, Tender Taps, and Sunburst. Neither have Sunburst, Tender Taps, and Ember shown ZERO romantic attraction to Starlight Glimmer, Appe Bloom, and Spike.

Will that stop fans from shipping? Unfortunately, no, because GOTTA SHIP ANYTHING THAT BREATHES THE SAME AIR AS SOMEONE ELSE!!!

But as far as show canon, I can guarantee that all three friendships will remain strictly as that- friendships, and nothing more.

^This.

I agree that introducing new characters are great but then they're just new characters. For all I know we may not actually see them for a considerate amount of time or maybe not at all and canonically speaking, will not have enough substance to develop any romantic endeavors in the show.

There's no way Sunburst x Starlight will be a thing. I will not deny that there definitely has been cartoons in which two siblings are in a relationship, but in a show like MLP:FiM, the chances of that happening is miniscule. It's so easy for people to look at it on the surface and misinterpret it as incest.

Besides which, I'd much rather see Sunburst and Starlight have a close relationship as siblings rather than lovers. It fits their personalities better and is more relatable for the general audience. Plus I'm all for seeing better portrayals of sibling relationships in TV shows.

Edited by Odyssey

I Think that Sunburst x Starlight will be pushed HARD, and honestly, it seems like its a very good relationship: the two were designed from the ground up to be together, much like cadence/Shining armor, so they work well together.

Tender taps is a bit of a stretch, but I think the two have a nice contrast with each other (Applebloom is very gruff for a girl and comes from a more rugged background which juxtaposes with tender taps shyer nature and being a dancer, something generally seen as a feminine past time). I'd like to see this explored more, but I think its still very much a jump at this point to assume the two will be love interests :P

There's no way Sunburst x Starlight will be a thing. I will not deny that there definitely has been cartoons in which two siblings are in a relationship, but in a show like MLP:FiM, the chances of that happening is miniscule. It's so easy for people to look at it on the surface and misinterpret it as incest.

Besides which, I'd much rather see Sunburst and Starlight have a close relationship as siblings rather than lovers. It fits their personalities better and is more relatable for the general audience. Plus I'm all for seeing better portrayals of sibling relationships in TV shows.

Woah woah WOAH. Where did you get the idea that the two were brother and sister from? :/

Woah woah WOAH. Where did you get the idea that the two were brother and sister from? :/

Wait, they're not siblings? Oh gosh, that's embarrassing. I swear I did hear that they were siblings in the Season 5 finale, but it goes to show that I really haven't been following MLP:FiM all that much nowadays.

Never mind what I said. If people want to ship the two, then I don't really care. I really shouldn't be posting stuff like this in the first place. :/

It seems this season is much more shipping focused. 3 major pairings in just after 4 episodes. Add some future discoshy and soarindash episodes into the mix and you already get more shipping than previous seasons combined.

I didn't really see any of those pairings being shown in a romantic light, they're just forming or reforming friendships between members of opposite genders. Of course, that's not to say I'd be bothered by any of them becoming more than that, with one definite exception. Dragon Lord Ember seems like she's much older than Spike, so I don't think there's any more chance for that ship than there is for Spike/Rarity.