What do you think will happen before 2035?

Anneal

Future Views  

49 users have voted

1. 1. What is your view of the future?

• Very Positive
    • Positive
    • Slightly Positive
    • Moderate / Neutral
    • Slightly Negative
    • Negative
    • Very Negative
    • Other (write in post)

We've had a topic like this before, ran by a person who is unfortunately not here anymore, called "What Will the World Look Like in 2070"? It's mostly a dead topic by now, but I have decided to reintroduce it back...and pull the time a bit closer, to about two decades, mostly because there's slightly more certainty of what is going to happen and what is not.

Now, since I am not intending to make this a debate topic, I am not allowing you to make any predictions related to religion (or atheism). That's one of the more fiery topics on here and I don't want this topic to be locked because someone wanted to argue about God or whatnot.

That being said, predict away! I'll post my own soon, it's kind of a mouthful and it's not easy to do on mobile. :adorkable:

• Brohoof 1

I don't know about what's supposed to happen BEFORE 2035, but that particular year has a few interesting things going for it.

NASA and SpaceX will have a manned flight to mars

The technological singularity is supposed to happen around that year

And Initiative 2035 should complete their goals.

Very excited for those three.

• Brohoof 1

Very negative. Here's why:

• We have both Trump and Clinton running for US president
  • We have Russia teasing the U.S. by sending their jets really close to U.S. naval ships
  • We have North Korea continually launching nuclear missiles 
  • ISIS is spreading like wildfire in the Middle East
  • Saudi Arabia continues to limit rights to women and non-Muslims
  • Chinese and Russians continue to do big hacks to different companies and other networks
  • Israel and Palestine keep going at war

I feel that World War III is gonna happen by 2035 and ISIS, the U.S., Russia, China, North Korea, Iran, Europe and Israel will be involved. 

On the bright side, hopefully I can run for president in 2032 and fix stuff up.

• Brohoof 4

Meh, I think it could go either way. We could have either come up with a solution to global warming and be using only renewable resources, or we could be suffocating in greenhouse gases, waging WW3 around our remaining resources, and struggling with the fact that human existence will most likely be over within a few years. Take your pick.  ;)

There is a lot of bad stuff going on in the world currently. Twisted Cyclone listed a bunch of it and a lot of that does worry me. It makes the future look bleak, as well as my own internal issues. What gives me hope though are my friends here and my boyfriend, looking into the future and seeing me and him living together, that makes me have hope. If it wasn't for that, I honestly would have no hope. Hopefully in the next few years we will be living together. 

• Brohoof 3

Slightly negative, The world's getting slightly shittier every year, i just hope Uncle Sam doesn't draft me into some some god forsaken war, i'm the prime age to get shipped out somewhere. Something's gotta change though, too much pollution, too much war, too much bad politics too many people getting offended by this or that, i just wanna go out and explore a world before we all fuck it up. I'm tired of the down trodden view of things, i want something to change. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm pretty sure a global conflict might spark within the coming decade, if not earlier. The world's economy isn't too well right now. Resources are dwindling. Terrorism is on the rise. Xenophobia. Heck, globl warming is a worse threat than ever before. It's not going to be a pretty century for mankind to say the least.

(edited)

Man, am I the only one who's got a remotely positive outlook for the future?

• DAESH will be defeated no later than 2020. Remnants of DAESH will persist for a while longer, but will be unable to regroup and retake territory and will go the way of FARC.
  • Cuba and the U.S. will strengthen their trade and diplomatic relations.
  • Nicolas Maduro will be booted out of office during the next Venezuelan election.
  • Putin will fall from power in Russia as its economy continues to worsen due to the effects of sanctions and depressed oil prices. With Russian support in doubt, Assad will be forced to make peace with the Syrian opposition and a U.N. Transitional government will be established in Syria. The war in the Donbass will end in a Ukrainian victory. Ukraine will be forced to recognize Russian control of the Crimea, but aside from some harsh words, relations between the two states will remain peaceful.
  • Libya will successfully drive DAESH from its territory and finally begin make good on the promise of the Libyan revolution.
  • Tunisia will continue to successfully experiment with Democracy.
  • Kim Jong-Un will be booted out of power in a Chinese-backed coup.
  • Trump will lose the 2016 election in a landslide to a Clinton-Warren ticket. The Republican Party will either start to move towards the center or will go the way of the Whig Party and collapse.
  • Due to health issues, President Clinton will resign after her first term and Vice President Warren will go on to win two terms.
  • Healthcare reform will continue, with the U.S. eventually adopting the Bismarck model in the mid-2020's.
  • China's economy will stagnate, much as Japan's has. India, meanwhile, will take China's place as the world's fastest growing economy.
  • The U.S. will stop unconditionally supporting Israel (it's already started to happen under Obama) and will press for a peaceful solution to the Palestinian conflict through the use of economic sanctions.
  • Saudi Arabia will begin diversifying its economy and will make "token" reforms in order to avoid the fate of Libya, Syria or Yemen.
  • Steps will continue to be taken by the nations of the world to combat climate change.
  • People in this thread will tell me I'm delusional and that I should stop viewing the world through rose-tinted glasses.

Very negative. Here's why:

• We have both Trump and Clinton running for US president
  • We have Russia teasing the U.S. by sending their jets really close to U.S. naval ships
  • We have North Korea continually launching nuclear missiles 
  • ISIS is spreading like wildfire in the Middle East
  • Saudi Arabia continues to limit rights to women and non-Muslims
  • Chinese and Russians continue to do big hacks to different companies and other networks
  • Israel and Palestine keep going at war

I feel that World War III is gonna happen by 2035 and ISIS, the U.S., Russia, China, North Korea, Iran, Europe and Israel will be involved. 

On the bright side, hopefully I can run for president in 2032 and fix stuff up.

I don't think Putin's regime will last beyond the next five years or so: it's already showing signs of rot after barely two years of economic sanctions. Likewise, DAESH will not outlast this decade, nor will it take over the Middle East. It doesn't have the resources to do so. North Korea is probably the only issue I agree with you on, but even there, I think Kim Jong-Un will be ousted in a palace coup before he can do anything too stupid.

Edited by Silvestra Spooner
  • Brohoof 2

Probably nothing substantial that matters to most people. 

by 2035 there will probably be 4 times as many electric and hybrid cars on the road as their are now, but it still will be predominantly petrol

phones will be the way to go, and there will probably not be as big of a market for custom gaming pcs anymore.. 

These are the things I feel more comfortable guessing will happen

By the year 2035,

-people will have their personal technology implanted in their wrist or eye

-cancer will be a serious but more treatable disease with a higher survival rate

- the 3D printer will be in 30% of US homes

-cyber crimes against technology in people's bodies will be a very public concern

- 20% of US households will have a self-driving car

- Social Security will raise the retirement age to 75

- There will be an international research facility on the moon

- Our current (2015) fashion styles will look absolutely ridiculous (but will also be really popular in a retro way)

-Typing will be a required class in school

• Brohoof 1

Skynet will happen and the human race will have to go to war with the machines.

Colossus will happen. World domination of humans after detonating only two nuclear warheads in their silos. No robots need apply. 

Meh, I think it could go either way. We could have either come up with a solution to global warming and be using only renewable resources, or we could be suffocating in greenhouse gases, waging WW3 around our remaining resources, and struggling with the fact that human existence will most likely be over within a few years. Take your pick.  ;)

Neither of which will happen. Totally renewable resourced (even stretching it and including hydroelectric and nuclear power) countries still aren't possible in the next few decades...yet, but I doubt anyone is ignoring global warming (it is real, but some still debate whether it is anthropogenic, natural, or both) and many countries are doing something to deal with it. We're still going to face adverse effects, though...I'll mention them later on in my list of predictions. Even then, humans are extraordinarily stubborn and we've proven to survive some rather extreme scenarios, so we're not going extinct because of global warming (but again, we'll still face serious consequences).

Either way, my list, part based on evidence and part speculated:

Medical: Some of the deadly diseases we have, mostly in the developing world, are facing steep declines. Malaria can be cured, long-term universal flu and melanoma vaccines are widespread, and polio has been eradicated. Tuberculosis has also been cut to a third of its amount – some diseases like hepatitis C actually become rare. While cancer continues to claim many lives, survival rates for certain cancers have significantly increased and there is better treatment for it. Alzheimer's, unfortunately, continues to increase in affected numbers, but development in the medical field will eventually make treating Alzheimer's a reality and not just a dream.

Stem cell and gene therapy, which begin to be more common in hospitals in the late 2020s, also allows patients to regrow amputated limbs perfectly and transplant certain organs (some are too complex to be regenerated perfectly, so they remain in development) such as the kidney, spleen, and bladder with virtually no chance of rejection. 3D printing is no longer restricted to inorganic materials and are another option, and so are robotic limbs that can perfectly replicate the functions of real ones. Because of this, world life expectancy jumps from 71 to 75; in some developing countries, women life expectancy goes well beyond 90.

Political: I usually don't want to get into too much detail with politics, but it will experience significant political shifting as Generation X and early millennials come into politics. They are far more diverse in race, sex, class, and culture, and in terms of political thought are much more balanced as Gen-X and millennials are generally more atheist and liberal than their predecessors. In the U.S., libertarians, third-party members, and independents have somewhat more influence, though it is still mostly two-party.

Generation X still holds more influence than millennials (which will get their turn in the mid-21st); this doesn't mean that the newer generations are better than the old, but political change and possibly reform in many countries are guaranteed.

Technology: Hydrogen-fuel and electric cars dominate the car industry and standard fossil fuel cars begin to die out. Hybrids are still the majority, but with continued development, it is short-lived. Some well-off people in the developed world can afford fully self-driving cars (though some settle for semi-autonomous ones as well), and car accidents are greatly reduced.

The 5G standard has replaced the 4G standard; there is ubiquitous computing and extremely high-speed Internet service that covers virtually everywhere in the globe in an unified global standard. Devices are much more personalized and even lighter and thinner than the ones we have today. Desktop computers are being replaced by glass tablets and thinner laptops that have far more computing capability. Carbon nanotube / graphene "stacked" circuits are replacing traditional microchips, which have been miniaturized to only a few nanometers.

(( I have more, but it's a mouthful, like I said. Glad to see people posting.)

Roughly 9,817,920 minutes / 163,632 hours / 6818 days / 974 weeks will have gone by.

And by 2035 everything will be taken over by Google Chrome.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

2035 is only 19 years away. If (recent) history has shown us anything it's that NOTHING HAPPENS ANY MORE. There won't be significant changes in anything. Technology will advance in the same way it has for years, by taking existing tech, rearranging it to look like something new, and reselling it, with only the minimum of improvement needed to keep the dollars rolling in. Medical science will be the same; doling out just enough to keep stringing people along at insane prices. Greed and inflation? Do I really need to even go there? 

After the '60s, no one gave a crap about anything anymore. Everyone got lazy and content to just let the next generation down the line take care of things. Take a look at the movie Tomorrowland. It's a good analogy of the state of human indifference. It's no longer an optimistic innovative society, but a pessimistic and indifferent one. 

People talk about nuclear war, but it's never going to happen. Even if it did, it would merely be flushing a stagnant existence down the toilet. And frankly, at the moment things are getting pretty ripe.  

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 1

2035 is only 19 years away. If (recent) history has shown us anything it's that NOTHING HAPPENS ANY MORE. There won't be significant changes in anything. Technology will advance in the same way it has for years, by taking existing tech, rearranging it to look like something new, and reselling it, with only the minimum of improvement needed to keep the dollars rolling in. Medical science will be the same; doling out just enough to keep stringing people along at insane prices. Greed and inflation? Do I really need to even go there? 

After the '60s, no one gave a crap about anything anymore. Everyone got lazy and content to just let the next generation down the line take care of things. Take a look at the movie Tomorrowland. It's a good analogy of the state of human indifference. It's no longer an optimistic innovative society, but a pessimistic and indifferent one. 

People talk about nuclear war, but it's never going to happen. Even if it did, it would merely be flushing a stagnant existence down the toilet. And frankly, at the moment things are getting pretty ripe.

I'm not sure about that statement. After the '60s was still the Space Race (albeit it lightens up as NASA and the USSR space program groups cooperate), and it certainly wasn't stagnant. I'm pretty sure everyone did care when the NASA sent up Skylab or started the Space Shuttle Program, and the many other programs that finally gave us better knowledge about Venus and Mars ( Venera, Vega, Mars, Mariner, Pioneer, and Viking). And even after NASA and the Russians temporarily lost direction post-Cold War, they went right back to developing new probes and spacecraft; hell, the Mars space probes required even more innovative tech to work, the Dawn probe – the first to flyby Vesta and Ceres – needs scientists to heavily improve on ion propulsion (which had been built well in the 60s and 70s, but this was the first time it was actually built on space probes).

The Space Race alone brought new tech such as solar panels (which continues to be improved on today for greater efficiency), laptops, satellite TV, infrared smoke detectors (not directly made by NASA but improved on and used by Skylab), GPS, even something as small as joysticks. There's a ridiculous anount of things that came from space program spinoffs, and even without that you still get tablets and cell phones (built decades before, but now they're far lighter and have far more functions, not something you can do within the 20th century even), various vaccines, antiobiotics, and other medicine (some that have only been introduced less than two decades ago and are very much considered essentials in modern society), even things small like CD-ROM (and now it's vastly improved). If anything it is not "rearranging" things to make it look new (some were based off ideas set in stone some time before, but based off and improved =/= copied off).

And that still goes for social ideas. Second wave feminism in the 70s and 80s finally pulled women to the same playing field as men (if not at least the same opportunities) and the LGBT movement only really gained traction in the 90s. Compared to the 60s where women were told to stay in the kitchen and being gay was apparently equal to sodomy, we've gotten pretty far.

Even today we're hearing about new tech that's coming out, they're far from copying from others (how do you copy 4KHD TVs and the arriving universal flu vaccine, anyways?). Of course there is greed, there always will be. But when you see entrepreneurs like Elon Musk or Larry Ellison or Larry Page and Sergey Brin who actually make progress for humanity (if they just wanted the money they can just shut their services down in a few years and live with their ridiculous loads of wealth) rather than exploit off the poor, that should be a bit of evidence that some people are willing to think more of progress and development, not wealth (like the scientists around the world that work their loads off trying to come up with new things for humanity).

By 2035, we're going to get new problems, some more difficult than others (global warming floods, soaring unemployment due to low-skill automation, record high depression rates), but I think we can handle it. Humans have always faced difficult hardships and can handle more. Like I said, Generation X is getting their turn in politics anyway, we might very likely see large political change in the next decade.

Also, for the people who are talking about Trump and Clinton (I honestly expected that)...a presidential election can't influence very much. We've gotten disappointed over 2004 before, an extra term isn't going to immediately wipe out the U.S., let alone the whole planet.

@@Drunk Not I Am

You are the change you're looking for man. All it takes is one person with a voice and one small act of kindness.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Am I legit the only person excited for the future? Geez ya'll is some pessimistic kids. Look at what I said to Drunk Not I Am and take some initiative for a better future than ya'll be seeing.

• Brohoof 1

All the bad stuff today still doesn't compare proportionally to the bad stuff historically, and with technology and communications improving theres less reason for 1st world countries to war each other, also deterrents.  Not saying its a good thing the bad stuff is happening but it honestly used to be much worse. Like the American civil war didn't 50k people die in one battle? Less than that have died across multiple years in the middle east of our own, and back then 50k people was a lot compared to today.

My bad these are the actual stats If you go with that total for a minute—620,000—the number of men dying in the Civil War is more than in all other American wars from the American Revolution through the Korean War combined. And consider that the American population in 1860 was about 31 million people, about one-tenth the size it is today.Jun 6, 2011

So that's like 6.2million dieing for today's standards. Nothing much wrong with the world right now.

• Brohoof 1

We see drones bombing places now and by 2035 we'll see the first ground-mechs in largish numbers on battle fronts. They will be crude and semi-autonomous, but they'll be effective.

It was been on my mind since 2000 that tech was catching up with sci-fy. And now that we see robodog wandering about they may actually turn out to be legged, which I didn't expect?

The advantage won't be loss of life, but patience. With operator shift changes they can wait for months for a target. Consider the technology a self-propelled land mine with a gun.

@@Drunk Not I Am

You are the change you're looking for man. All it takes is one person with a voice and one small act of kindness.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Am I legit the only person excited for the future? Geez ya'll is some pessimistic kids. Look at what I said to Drunk Not I Am and take some initiative for a better future than ya'll be seeing.

It's mostly based off current events, because the developed world has been hit with a lot more terrorist attacks recently, the 2016 election is disappointing lots of people in the U.S., freedom over the world has been set back (just read the Freedom House 2016 papers), relations are being strained, and it seems like a lot of the progress we are making are being stalled. Not to mention some of the people here are not very well-off and are obviously disgruntled and depressed. I kind of expected the voting results I'm getting now, to be honest, though it's just one day, so I can't jump to conclusions.

• Brohoof 1

• Immunotherapies will turn the tide on all cancers 

Nanobots will be fully tested on human subjects 

Terrorism will be at an all-time high 

More (free) high-speed Internet

Man on Mars

• Brohoof 1