Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Horror moments in Non-Horror Games?

Jon the VGNerd

Even video games that has nothing to do with horror still has terrifying moments so not everything is all sunshine and rainbows. So today, we venture to discovering non-horror games that still contains horror elements to it. What non-horror video games you find considered horror in general?

The entirety of the level in Rugrats Search for Reptar where you are int he house when the lights are out and ghosts are everywhere. Say what you will, but that level was really creepy for a young child at the time .XD  I.E. me. xc

• Brohoof 3

The entirety of the level in Rugrats Search for Reptar where you are int he house when the lights are out and ghosts are everywhere. Say what you will, but that level was really creepy for a young child at the time .XD  I.E. me. xc

Yeah, I was scared by that level too. I immediately exited the level after I saw the first ghost. 

One moment I remember was from Pikmin 2 with the introduction of the Waterwraith. After being told I can't damage it before the final floor, this music plays:

It's like it's telling you to RUN. Run as fast as you can.

• Brohoof 1

In WoD Shadowmoon Valley in World of Warcraft, there's a little area that has a most beautiful spring.  The flowers are blue and purple like the perpetual night sky, the trees a dark shade of bluish-green.  The small waterfall had light flowing down it.  They could be fireflies, little lanterns of summer nights.  You venture to the top to see if you can find the source of this glimmering light.

It turns out to be piles of dead people, laying in the water.

Edited by Light of Night

Any mechanical-themed level in Sonic (Scrap Brain, Chemical Plant, Metropolis, etc. Bonus points for Planet Wisp for having the technology begin to overwrite the natural landscape.) Plus, there's the horror of the Mobian population being used as living batteries for the badniks.

Star Trek Online, of course, has What Lies Beneath. *shudder*

Do you ever have your volume up really loud but you completely forget and you start playing the game and the sudden sound of a gunshot or whatnot scares the living crap outta you?

Considering how much I like loud music, this is one fact I forget whenever I decide to play Portal 2 or Skyrim nowadays.

In Planescape: Torment there's these orbs made to let you experience something as if you were actually there, as a person who took part in it somehow.

If I remember right they make mention of there being orbs from everything from adventures to sexual experiences and even getting tortured. Implied horror but horror nonetheless.

• 5 years later...

There was a level in the Lost World: Jurassic Park tie in game where you're playing as a tiny Compsognathus. You get chased by a massive carnivore who is much faster than you and shakes the ground every time he walks. That level scared the crap out of me as a kid and the music made it even worse.