Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

sorry if some one else asked this, im new and dont know how to search just yet...

what i would like is a my littlle pony game that is an rpg, like tes/fallout/fable...

has someone made a game where you can make and level up your own character? playing along with others (mmo) or by the side of the mane 6?

i plan on geting into game design, and if no one has made one by the time i can, then i will try...

but that may be in a few years...lol

The closest thing to such a game would be Legends of Equestria, but it's not really finished yet. 

Plus, the changes that it will get a C&D once it's finished is pretty high. 

forgive my ignorance... what is C&D? I can only think of " cash and dash"... and that don't seem right...

forgive my ignorance... what is C&D? I can only think of " cash and dash"... and that don't seem right...

C&D stands for cease and desist which is a document sent to an individual or business to halt purportedly illegal activity ("cease") and not take it up again later ("desist"). 

effectivly if someone (like me) creates a game with any/ all the canon, and thus the copywrite material, the "benevolent" company prevents its distribution, even if its free, due to them not geting what they want out of it...(hypotheticaly, i could "buy the rights" to the game, after creating it... and they would allow that, as long as i only show them what i made, and not to the fandom, forums, or steam?)

Hello !

I'm moving this to Sugarcube Corner, as it seems to better suit the intent of discussion of this topic. :fluttershy: Have a great day!

• Brohoof 2

effectivly if someone (like me) creates a game with any/ all the canon, and thus the copywrite material, the "benevolent" company prevents its distribution, even if its free, due to them not geting what they want out of it...(hypotheticaly, i could "buy the rights" to the game, after creating it... and they would allow that, as long as i only show them what i made, and not to the fandom, forums, or steam?)

I wouldn't worry about C&D's. The ones that have been C&D'd were done so because the developer engaged in pre-release activities that forced the IP owner's hand, before completion. Hasbro ignores what it is able to, which is the majority of fandom games that have been released.

Take Legends of Equestria for example. Hasbro is most certainly aware of it, but will not do anything unless the LoE dev team uses a industry visble platform to promote their game that Hasbro cannot ignore.

Not many people in this (or most fandoms) have any real world experience in copyright and trademark protection decision trees at a corporate level. A huge time sink for me in my prior career was interfacing with lawyers and law firms over software IP issues. I have direct operational experience in this matter.

Do not worry about a C&D ;)

• Brohoof 1

hypotheticaly, i could "buy the rights" to the game,
Yes. You could buy the rights to make a game with the copy righted materials. 

Do not worry about a C&D
When making a game that uses things that you don't have the rights to use you should worry about a C&D.  Granted, Hasbro has so far been rather cool with fan projects and there's a chance that they'll allow it but there's also a chance that they will not.

effectivly if someone (like me) creates a game with any/ all the canon, and thus the copywrite material, the "benevolent" company prevents its distribution, even if its free, due to them not geting what they want out of it...

Is that what happened with Fighting Is Magic a few years ago? I joined the fandom too late to play it but I believe I heard that Hasbro struck it down.

Is that what happened with Fighting Is Magic a few years ago? I joined the fandom too late to play it but I believe I heard that Hasbro struck it down.

I don't know... I'm new to online forums and fandom... but its a good probability... companies like their stuff to be known, but prefer to make money somehow...

what i would like is a my littlle pony game that is an rpg, like tes/fallout/fable... has someone made a game where you can make and level up your own character?

Well, there are a number of tabletop RPGs around - there's the specifically-designed Roleplaying is Magic, and any number of D&D conversions such as Courage is Magic and Dungeons and Dragons with Ponies!.

In terms of computer RPGs, there are a fair few RPG-maker games. They don't tend to be very good, mind, but I'm sure there are some that are. Actually built-from-scratch finished games... none that I am aware of. 

i plan on geting into game design, and if no one has made one by the time i can, then i will try... but that may be in a few years...lol

The question you need to answer for an MLP RPG game is what sort of mechanics you plan to use. The D&D conversions I mentioned assume (for the most part) that you want to make a combat-oriented game (as D&D is) whereas what I like about Roleplaying is Magic is that it is more in line with the show in that it caters for a much bigger social focus (and action as well, should it fit the situation. There's a really good YouTube video on non-combat gaming that I would recommend.)

As such, my recommendation if you're planning a MLP-themed game (or a game about talking ponies that dodges copyright issues, which is what I suggest) is to decide on and design the mechanical systems before you start trying to implement them on a computer. Or, at least, familiarise yourself with the processes involved in designing mechanical systems to represent events / encounters / etc. I would recommend pen-and-paper tabletop RPGs as a good place to start, not because they translate into computer games very well but because it will get you thinking about how you can take a series of challenges you wish to present the player(s) with and put them into an abstract mechanical form one can resolve with a combination of random luck and skill without ruining immersion (i.e. make it still feel like ponies working to overcome an obstacle, rather than just rolling some dice.)

Edited by Once In A Blue Moon

Yes. You could buy the rights to make a game with the copy righted materials. 

When making a game that uses things that you don't have the rights to use you should worry about a C&D.  Granted, Hasbro has so far been rather cool with fan projects and there's a chance that they'll allow it but there's also a chance that they will not.

ya, I figured...

I think the main thing besides the potential money is protecting canon... they don't want their story taken to places it should not go.

The question you need to answer for an MLP RPG game is what sort of mechanics you plan to use. The D&D conversions I mentioned assume (for the most part) that you want to make a combat-oriented game (as D&D is) whereas what I like about Roleplaying is Magic is that it is more in line with the show in that it caters for a much bigger social focus (and action as well, should it fit the situation. There's a really good YouTube video on the significance of non-combat gaming that I would recommend.)

As such, my recommendation if you're planning a MLP-themed game (or a game about talking ponies that dodges copyright issues, which is what I suggest) is to decide on and design the mechanical systems before you start trying to implement them on a computer. Or, at least, familiarise yourself with the processes involved in designing mechanical systems to represent events / encounters / etc. I would recommend pen-and-paper tabletop RPGs as a good place to start, not because they translate into computer games very well but because it will get you thinking about how you can take a series of challenges you wish to present the player(s) with and put them into an abstract mechanical form one can resolve with a combination of random luck and skill without ruining immersion (i.e. make it still feel like ponies working to overcome an obstacle, rather than just rolling some dice.)

I do agree with you... I have played D&D D20 3.0, 3.5, star wars spinoff, homebrew, and things that me and my friends created from "scratch" using D20 as a core element...

IF I did make a mlp fim game, I would try to make it as much like the actual tv series, that it would be copywrited.

as for "combat" vs "non-combat", I would have combat, but it would feel like "seeing" an episode with your creation/skills.

I don't think I would have dice, or random chance..."you do or do not, there is no try"

following the series this closely would probably irk some of the fandom, but I would want complete immersion as the pony/non pony of your choice... I would also prevent people from "copying" the existing ponies/ characters of canon, as that would break immersion, seeing yourself (effectively) in game...

It's more or less as @@Jeric, mentions, but to add to that:

Hasbro sometimes can cease and desist for no real known reason. Sometimes it just happens and we don't really know much as to why. So essentially when you make any fan made product for the show you always run the risk. Hasbro is mostly okay with it, but they DO have to keep on a face for their investors to show that they are actively protecting their property. While Hasbro may care a bit about their fans, investors generally don't. They care only about cold hard cash.

I wouldn't worry about C&D's. The ones that have been C&D'd were done so because the developer engaged in pre-release activities that forced the IP owner's hand, before completion. Hasbro ignores what it is able to, which is the majority of fandom games that have been released.

Take Legends of Equestria for example. Hasbro is most certainly aware of it, but will not do anything unless the LoE dev team uses a industry visble platform to promote their game that Hasbro cannot ignore.

Not many people in this (or most fandoms) have any real world experience in copyright and trademark protection decision trees at a corporate level. A huge time sink for me in my prior career was interfacing with lawyers and law firms over software IP issues. I have direct operational experience in this matter.

Do not worry about a C&D ;)

It's more or less as @@Jeric, mentions, but to add to that:

Hasbro sometimes can cease and desist for no real known reason. Sometimes it just happens and we don't really know much as to why. So essentially when you make any fan made product for the show you always run the risk. Hasbro is mostly okay with it, but they DO have to keep on a face for their investors to show that they are actively protecting their property. While Hasbro may care a bit about their fans, investors generally don't. They care only about cold hard cash.

yes, I agree... I don't know much about law and or copywrite material... but I do have some..(I guess you could call it...) business sense.

and as for the "random" times they pulled the plug, could be because of what I said before... about the fandom taking sides, and the canon getting fired at... or because their "product name" would be sullied from of the created "fan fic" as a game...

would not surprise me if some of the "investors" were bronies themselves... and they would have a bone to pick with Hasbro for anyone messing with their "fun"...lol

yes, I agree... I don't know much about law and or copywrite material... but I do have some..(I guess you could call it...) business sense.

and as for the "random" times they pulled the plug, could be because of what I said before... about the fandom taking sides, and the canon getting fired at... or because their "product name" would be sullied from of the created "fan fic" as a game...

would not surprise me if some of the "investors" were bronies themselves... and they would have a bone to pick with Hasbro for anyone messing with their "fun"...lol

Most investors are very detached sadly. Which sadly creates an environment where the people bringing the money in aren't as passionate as the people making the product. But yeah, there are tons of reasons to pull the plug on something, and at least 10 I could think of just in a 5 minute period. It sucks when it does happen, but at least it reminds us that Hasbro cares about their product, if they didn't then they wouldn't try to protect it. So that's a plus side!

Most investors are very detached sadly. Which sadly creates an environment where the people bringing the money in aren't as passionate as the people making the product. But yeah, there are tons of reasons to pull the plug on something, and at least 10 I could think of just in a 5 minute period. It sucks when it does happen, but at least it reminds us that Hasbro cares about their product, if they didn't then they wouldn't try to protect it. So that's a plus side!

yes, and as I am a ...(super nerd?) I would follow the series, like a bible, and would not settle for anything less than the canon being translated perfectly... and if there was any gaps, I would try to contact the creators/ actors for the relavent information.

if they could not supply it, I would try to talk it out with them... come to an agreeable position, also fans could be a sorce of inspiration.