Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why didn't Zecora rhyme in Swarm of the Century?

Mysterycat

In Swarm of the Century, Twilight asks Zecora for advice and when she gets there Zecora's balancing on a stick and then gets a fright, falls off, and asks "Have you gone mad?" but doesn't rhyme. Why wasn't she rhyming then, and on an unrelated note, why was she balancing on a stick?

Edited by Mysterycat

What if; Zecora speaks in rhyme as a personal control method? She has to think harder about what she is saying before she says it.

That explains this scene actually, she has a spurt of anger; thus a loss of control and as a result she forgets to rhyme.

• Brohoof 2

Coming up with rhymes is really hard.

Probably a spurt of anger and anger is probably something that would make Zecora forget about rhyming. She seems to be a pro at saying rhymes on the spot but I bet her own emotions interfere from time to to time.

What if; Zecora speaks in rhyme as a personal control method? She has to think harder about what she is saying before she says it.

That explains this scene actually, she has a spurt of anger; thus a loss of control and as a result she forgets to rhyme.

I agree, she does seem to do it, as a necessity, but only when her concentration is un interrupted...

she was probably balancing on the post for the same reason, self control... she seems to be like a monk, it would be nice of them to give her more canon backstory, or an explanation of her origins to better illuminate her choices (why rhymes, and lifestyle) 

In Swarm of the Century, Twilight asks Zecora for advice and when she gets there Zecora's balancing on a stick and then gets a fright, falls off, and asks "Have you gone mad?" but doesn't rhyme.  Why wasn't she rhyming then,

I guess it's pretty hard to rhyme in only one line of dialogue.

and on an unrelated note, why was she balancing on a stick?

I'm guessing that was meant to be some kind of Jedi-esque meditation, the same sort of thing she teaches Twilight to do in 'Magic duel'.

• Brohoof 1

She may have been intending to rhyme, but was pre-interrupted by Twilight showing her a Parasprite.

The whole emotions-interfering-with-rhyming thing, as already mentioned, also seems fairly logical, especially as, in one of the comics (I forget what it's called; something to do with magical deer that live in the Everfree Forest), Zecora is chased out of the Everfree by several of its more hostile denizens and yells "Help" without rhyming it with anything (presumably due to her panic).

Besides the issue of imminent danger from Queen Chrysalis, it may just be that that particular Zecora of that alternate reality is different and doesn't rhyme.

Maybe there's a Zecora that talks like a black lady from the American South or Queens in another reality. That'd be a fun treat to see. 

Simple: the same reason that Yoda has been known to speak a sentence in a forward fashion from time to time.

"Only a Jedi could have erased those files."

-Yoda, Attack of the Clones

They can't be perfect all the time.  Gotta cut 'em a little slack.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...