Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Thorax couldn't disguise his voice?

ggg-2

Or maybe changeling abilities are trainable. 

So Chrysalis is powerful enough to be an exact copy, while Thorax still hasn't learned to do that yet. Or maybe you could just choose not to.

In the book, "Lyra and BonBon and the Mares from S.M.I.L.E." there are changelings that sounded exactly like the actual ponies because no pony ever mentioned anything about their voice changing. And it must have something noticeable because the ponies they were disguised as were known all around Appleloosa

• Brohoof 1

I didn't think there was a reason for him to disguise his voice when he took on the appearance of a pony. No one would recognize him by voice anyway, since no one really knew him. We don't know if Thorax is unable to disguise his voice, but I'm assuming that he does have the abilities of the other changelings. Chrysalis wasn't the only one to be able to change her voice, as seen in the fighting scene between the Mane 6 and the changelings in the Season Two finale (even if it was just mimicry in that instance), so I don't see any reason why Thorax cannot do it either. Also, given that Thorax can speak, perhaps the other changelings can do it too, but have chosen not to thus far?

Edited by Lady Kiriness
  • Brohoof 4

Thorax didn't augment his voice (if that is what even happens), but with the absence of information I place this still in ambiguous theory territory. We know they can alter their voices at will, perhaps he simply had no reason to.

• Brohoof 3

Seems top two theories are that he either didn't need to do so, or he just doesn't have the ability/skill to do so. Since I don't *think* we have seen any other changeling like him change their voice, I will go with that he either can't at all or he can't yet. Chrysalis, being the OG changeling, she could probably do it with ease.

Seems top two theories are that he either didn't need to do so, or he just doesn't have the ability/skill to do so. Since I don't *think* we have seen any other changeling like him change their voice, I will go with that he either can't at all or he can't yet. Chrysalis, being the OG changeling, she could probably do it with ease.

Heck, besides Chrysalis, we've never heard a changeling speak before.

• Brohoof 1

Maybe he could, but the meta reason is that would have required a second VA to step in. No reason to not have him with the same voice since no one would have known the difference since they'd never met him before.  

• Brohoof 1

we know basic changelings can alter their voices, because we've seen them imitate the voices of the main 6.

but thorax wasn't trying to fool anyone into thinking he was a specific pony.  so it wasn't necessary.  

• Brohoof 3

I'm thinking that somehow Thorax copied a exact Crystal pony that looked like his "Crystal Hoof" disguise, voice included. In return, not wanting to feel like a Changeling, he dedicate his entire personality to the likening of the Crystal pony he copied. Thorax's split personality grew over time and he feel like the voice suited him in both Changeling and Crystal pony appearances. He may of never spoken before during the time with the Changelings and Chrysalis but his alter-ego allowed him to speak his mind when he never had a voice before.

I think, if the disguise he had was not an actual pony that existed (Which seems to be the case as no one points him out, they would notice a colt's double going around the empire with Spike otherwise), he really doesn't have any reason to change his voice at all, since if what I said is right, there isn't a "voice" for him to imitate.

He may have just been rather incompetent. Thorax himself said he really didn't fit in with the other changelings and his considering his nervous bumbling personality, it might have just never occurred to him to change his voice. Or he may not have been that skilled at it. Despite fooling the crystal ponies, Cadance, Shining Armor and Twilight, in his disguise as C. Hoof, he didn't do a great job to hide any suspicious behavior on his part.

• Brohoof 1