Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Quitting after the Movie (rant inside)

Sly

Yeah the Mane 6 being reduced and made so low was the thing that killed the finale for me. The worst part is that this isn't something significant, it's just a plot point that sets up as to why Starlight is the only one that can save the day. They just skip over it because the writers know it's not important. No one's going to mention it again unless it's to praise Starlight and her group. There aren't going to be any consequences for what happened, no one's going to react at all to it. Heck only Discord actually showed any kind of emotional investment in helping the Mane 6. Okay it was only for Fluttershy but it's a deal more than anyone else in Starlight's group.

It also feels like the writer are trying to compensate for the Unfortunate Implications in the Cutie Re-mark where they basically said The Mane 6 are the only one's able to save Equestria, but they take it too far in the opposite direction. 

And to agree with CloverClever, the Mane 6 constantly being reduced in these high stakes episodes has been happening ever since A Canterlot Wedding, with the one exception being The Cutie Map along the way.  

I would have much preferred a two-parter where it's the Remane 5 that actually have to be the ones that do something cause it's been six years and they've always played sidekick to Twilight and I would include Starlight now but they're even further down with Starlight, being at best a Lois Lane to her, helpless civilains to her at worst. They are our mane characters, how about they play the hero for once?  And no, being a battery pack to the Elements does not count as being a hero. 

Edited by Sidral Mundet

There's another reason I think it's better for me (and probably for everybody) to quit with the Movie: after the end of the S6, I've did some researches about merchandize-driven serieses and I've discovered with my big sadness.... that no merchandize-driven serieses is conceived to have a proper ending. Shows like Phineas & Ferb, Gravity Falls, Billy and Mandy, Kim Possible, KND, Foster's Home and Wander Over Yonder (althought it ended a season earlier for bad ratings...) were all concivied with an ending in mind, and they ended when the time has come. Also, Samurai Jack was conceived to get its ending, but it never got it because the show was cancelled for bad ratings... until now that its fifth and final season has been confirmed and it will conclude the series once for all. But for shows like MLP... that never happened and never will happen.... for instance: Littlest Pet Shop, who ended this year. Its series finale hardly felt like a series finale and that's because it wasn't concieved to have a proprer ending, because just like MLP it was made to sell toys and since they didn't sold much,  the show was cancelled (neither the writers knew they were writing the last season when they were in the writing phase). Same goes for the previous TMNT serieses: none of them was conceived to get a proper ending or got a proper "ending" and I'm pretty sure the current one won't neither. Same for Jem and the Holograms which despite the success from critics and fans and despite the high ratings, it was still made to sell toys, and since they didn't sell, the show was cancelled despite its success. I'm afraid that MLP will get the same treatment: it will never have a proper "ending" and it will end with something that hardly feels like a series finale only when the sales of the toys will drop. Which is why I'm afraid what's happened in this finale, will happen more often in future, because I think this finale was the first sign that the writers are running out of ideas of what to do with the Mane 6. This is the sad truth about Merchandize-driven shows, and we've to accept it.... Which is why I think quitting with the Movie will be just for the best of everyone. It might not conclude officially the show, but it's the closest thing to a series finale like the ones I've mentioned above we're gonna get (if not better than those as the MLP will be a full featured Movie destined to cinemas while the series finales I've mentioned abovewere just destined to television) so I guess this will be another good reason for quitting MLP with that.

Wow, there's so much jumping the gun here.

So, because of ONE two-parter, you will stop watching a TV-show that you've loved for years? If anything, that tells me your love doesn't run as deep as you'd like to think. Not to mention the reasons for disliking it are quite poor. One can dislike things, to each their own. The reasons you state though...

The changelings did overpower the Mane 6 in S2, Celestia for all the power she has was "overpowered" instantly by the vines that took her by surprise (and same for Luna), Cadance has never been shown to be overpowered and it never bothered anyone... So why now of all times would you dislike the show for something that has been occurring again and again? Besides, ever thought of the changelings attacking them during their sleep? What chance would they have then? Showing the "fight" would have also dissipated the air of mystery of the first episode of the two-parter. "The changelings are back!!" yeah thanks we already know.

The Mane 6 has been given the Peach treatment!!... So? I'd rather have characters who are shown to be able to fail and not succeed every single time. Why? Because that's just not what happens in life. Sometimes you succeed, most of the time you fail at first and have to learn to improve, but even then you're not safe from making mistakes. If anything, it shows the Mane 6 are just ponies like any others upon whom have been put the burden of the Elements of Harmony. And it ofc gives the chance for reformed characters to show they have truly reformed and grown to actually care, proving that what the Mane 6 have done for them had been the right choice and had not been in vain.

Then the merchandise-shows argument... Now you're truly just looking anywhere and everywhere to comfort yourself in your own decision. I won't bother here. You've known it was a merchandise-show all along, haven't you? :dry:

I've seen some bashing on Newbie Dash too. To those I ask: have you realised the Wonderbolts actually admire Rainbow Dash? She's practically their idol and they're ecstatic to have her join their ranks! Why insult her then?! Because they aren't...? It's quite commonplace in such places, it might not be pleasant to live but soon you will think back on it very fondly while thinking "haha, those jerks! :ph34r: ". It creates a bond between them. They've all failed once at least and all know about it, so why hide it and keep up a "mask"? Nope, no need for that. They're all in the same boat and accept one another for who they are, their flaws included. No need for pretense. AND it's made Rainbow Dash grow past her child semi-trauma. What a great victory over those child bullies!

*sigh* And last word, it's all about "quitting due to speculation". Season 7 hasn't even happened yet, so your fear of having the Mane 6 being constantly sidelined like that one single two-parter is just that. A fear. Not a fact. If season 7 does sideline them again, then that'd be something else. Bad or not, depends...but different matter. :dash:

Edit: forgot to add Sidral Mundet has a good point with the Mane 5. It'd be nice to see them save the day, just like the Reformed 4 (the Re-4-med? Okay that was bad... :blush: ) did in the S6 finale.

Edited by Ninjaed
  • Brohoof 4

Don't quit because you disliked a couple of episodes, if you enjoyed season 6 all that much then one little detail shouldn't stop you from watching more of the show.

I personally don't think this damages their characters at all, they were surprise attacked and captured. You forget they are just regular ponies when it comes down to it, and they can be defeated just like anyone else, especially if they weren't expecting an attack.

You can still quit if you really want to but I'd advise against it if this is the only reason you have.

• Brohoof 3

At least you're being honest about that. I will say, though, that "making Twilight look like a poor teacher" is something I actually don't think the show is doing enough of, because Twilight struggling with her new role sounds a hell of a lot more interesting than the infallibility she displays most of the time now. 

I think Starlight has a more difficult time relating to Twilight and Spike than to Trixie. As much as Twilight and Spike do for Starlight, her relationship with them never feels as close or as sincere as her relationship with Trixie, and because of that, I do just think that Starlight feels that going with Trixie would grant her more comfort than if she went with Twilight. 

Also, this is entirely subjective, but I kind of enjoy watching Twilight get metaphorically smacked around. I guess after her role in "P.P.O.V.," I'm desperate for anything showing her in less than the most glowingly positive of lights; I guess I find it humanizing, and I think that the unceremonious capture of the mane six does that for me as well. 

For the first part, while I was okay with her doing that for the first 2-3 seasons but after that it's started getting old and tiring real quick, outside of finales, she rarely show any sort of personality and she is bland most of the time, trying to be perfect and not thinking outside the box, I was so glad that Starlight arrived, she finally had some sort of personality rather than the predictability that we usually see in her.

As for the second and third part, I was happy that Starlight picked Trixie instead of Twilight, I felt that she was more comfortable being around her that she is around Twilight, I feel that Twilight is no more important than the other ponies in Ponyville.

I feel the same way, I guess her being the same old pony that she was in Season 1 really turned me off now, now I enjoy the episodes that does have her as a main character because it's the show more interesting for me.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

cut

And taking the risk of seeing the six heroes who accompained me in these hard years of my life reduced to Peach-like losers again? THANKS BUT NO THANKS (for that matter I'm already taking a big enough risk by deciding to watch the S7). The Movie will be perfect as ending for me. I want to remember the Mane 6 as exemplary characters, not as pointless elements to justify a "story" like Peach or Zelda are in their own franchises.

Besides, I should remind you what happened to Spongebob and the original PPG series after they got their own featured movies?

Edited by Sly

And to agree with CloverClever, the Mane 6 constantly being reduced in these high stakes episodes has been happening ever since A Canterlot Wedding, with the one exception being The Cutie Map along the way.  

I would have much preferred a two-parter where it's the Remane 5 that actually have to be the ones that do something cause it's been six years and they've always played sidekick to Twilight and I would include Starlight now but they're even further down with Starlight, being at best a Lois Lane to her, helpless civilains to her at worst. They are our mane characters, how about they play the hero for once?  And no, being a battery pack to the Elements does not count as being a hero. 

This is what I'm afraid of, I felt that the S4 Finale was just a hyped up version of the S2 Premiere, they may have made it more exciting, but it was basically no different to the episode that I just mentioned. I was afraid that they were just going to come up with the same ending every season because they're too afraid to come up with something different for once but after seeing the S6 Finale, I was glad that they are now not afraid to take chances every once a while. I'm hoping the future two parters doesn't go into the path of the early season two parters.

For the first part, while I was okay with her doing that for the first 2-3 seasons but after that it's started getting old and tiring real quick, outside of finales, she rarely show any sort of personality and she is bland most of the time, trying to be perfect and not thinking outside the box, I was so glad that Starlight arrived, she finally had some sort of personality rather than the predictability that we usually see in her.

As for the second and third part, I was happy that Starlight picked Trixie instead of Twilight, I felt that she was more comfortable being around her that she is around Twilight, I feel that Twilight is no more important than the other ponies in Ponyville.

I feel the same way, I guess her being the same old pony that she was in Season 1 really turned me off now, now I enjoy the episodes that does have her as a main character because it's the show more interesting for me.

Not exacty the topic but yes, I like how Starlight is a foil to Twilight's way of thinking. Starlight is all about thinking outside the box, mixing spells together, not conforming to her expectations (why befriend Trixie, she said) and so on. I hope it'll make Twilight think less "by the book" as she realises that's not how Starlight will learn friendship, and realise plans are good and all but that there's usually no universal answer. That'd be a huge step for Twilight.

Last point, I'll have to defend Twilight a bit - she's not the same as he was back in season 1. She use to be somewhat of a jerk back then. Buuut it's true she's been somewhat lacking in the development department recently. She's still one of my favourite characters and will lkely remain so, but I'd like her to learn and grow. No Second Prances made her grow a bit I found, so I enjoyed that in that episode. :P

Edited by Ninjaed
  • Brohoof 1

Not exacty the topic but yes, I like how Starlight is a foil to Twilight's way of thinking. Starlight is all about thinking outside the box, mixing spells together, not conforming to her expectations (why befriend Trixie, she said) and so on. I hope it'll make Twilight think less "by the book" as she realises that's not how Starlight will learn friendship, and realise plans are good and all but that there's usually no universal answer. That'd be a huge step for Twilight.

Last point, I'll have to defend Twilight a bit - she's not the same as he was back in season 1. She use to be somewhat of a jerk back then. Buuut it's true she's been somewhat lacking in the development department recently. She's still one of my favourite characters and will lkely remain so, but I'd like her to learn and grow. No Second Prances made her grow a bit I found, so I enjoyed that in that episode. :P

I have to agree with the first part, I'm hoping for S7 to be an improvement for Twilight because last season was a disappointment for her in my opinion.

I much rather have her as a jerk than what she is now, that's what I miss about her these days.

(used to be an edit, made it a new post for clarity)

Edit: @Sly

That's what I've been saying. You don't answer to any of the points I've raised because you want to comfort yourself in your decision. It's yours and yours only, mind you. I'm just trying to show you how erroneous your reasoning is, and would prefer you leaving for valid reasons. You've liked the season a great deal and because of one two-parter that isn't even saying for sure "this will keep happening", you'll stop?

As for the "risk" thing, it's been there all along. Every season runs the risk of damaging their characters with bad writing and whatnot. It's no big news. And if your view is that the ponies you love can NOT be "Peach-losers", first you're being disrespectful to Peach (I don't like her either, but still! :( ) but most importantly, you're denying what you don't like and choose to only see what you deem "okay".

That's dangerous thinking. The world doesn't revolve the way you want. Learn to accept how it sometimes goes against what you wish and to keep walking. The ponies you love have faced many hurdles that they didn't want to face nor ackknowledge sometimes. They still kept on walking ever onwards, and that's a great lesson.

Edit2: Hadn't noticed your decision to watch S7 in the end. I highly commend you for that :grin:

I'll leave my first edit untouched for the record, but it would've been different had I read your post fully.

• Brohoof 2

Wow, there's so much jumping the gun here.

So, because of ONE two-parter, you will stop watching a TV-show that you've loved for years? If anything, that tells me your love doesn't run as deep as you'd like to think. Not to mention the reasons for disliking it are quite poor. One can dislike things, to each their own. The reasons you state though...

The changelings did overpower the Mane 6 in S2, Celestia for all the power she has was "overpowered" instantly by the vines that took her by surprise (and same for Luna), Cadance has never been shown to be overpowered and it never bothered anyone... So why now of all times would you dislike the show for something that has been occurring again and again? Besides, ever thought of the changelings attacking them during their sleep? What chance would they have then? Showing the "fight" would have also dissipated the air of mystery of the first episode of the two-parter. "The changelings are back!!" yeah thanks we already know.

The Mane 6 has been given the Peach treatment!!... So? I'd rather have characters who are shown to be able to fail and not succeed every single time. Why? Because that's just not what happens in life. Sometimes you succeed, most of the time you fail at first and have to learn to improve, but even then you're not safe from making mistakes. If anything, it shows the Mane 6 are just ponies like any others upon whom have been put the burden of the Elements of Harmony. And it ofc gives the chance for reformed characters to show they have truly reformed and grown to actually care, proving that what the Mane 6 have done for them had been the right choice and had not been in vain.

Then the merchandise-shows argument... Now you're truly just looking anywhere and everywhere to comfort yourself in your own decision. I won't bother here. You've known it was a merchandise-show all along, haven't you? :dry:

I've seen some bashing on Newbie Dash too. To those I ask: have you realised the Wonderbolts actually admire Rainbow Dash? She's practically their idol and they're ecstatic to have her join their ranks! Why insult her then?! Because they aren't...? It's quite commonplace in such places, it might not be pleasant to live but soon you will think back on it very fondly while thinking "haha, those jerks! :ph34r: ". It creates a bond between them. They've all failed once at least and all know about it, so why hide it and keep up a "mask"? Nope, no need for that. They're all in the same boat and accept one another for who they are, their flaws included. No need for pretense. AND it's made Rainbow Dash grow past her child semi-trauma. What a great victory over those child bullies!

*sigh* And last word, it's all about "quitting due to speculation". Season 7 hasn't even happened yet, so your fear of having the Mane 6 being constantly sidelined like that one single two-parter is just that. A fear. Not a fact. If season 7 does sideline them again, then that'd be something else. Bad or not, depends...but different matter. :dash:

Edit: forgot to add Sidral Mundet has a good point with the Mane 5. It'd be nice to see them save the day, just like the Reformed 4 (the Re-4-med? Okay that was bad... :blush: ) did in the S6 finale.

I have to say that was so well said I could not have hoped for a better way to say it. I completely agree a few episodes should not be a reason to leave ( you can ) but not really something to leave over

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

cut

You're not my mother, I'm free to take my decisions and to feel how I want about something. If I can't be comfortable about seeing the characters I love treated like that after so many years of development, it's my problem, not yours. You want to keep watching the show and see them becoming more Peach-like and why not even becoming jesters and court buffoons? Fine. I won't judge you or anyone for being fine with that idea, but I don't count on my support on that. I've already taken my decision, and I'm not gonna change it. 

Edited by Sly

I have to say that was so well said I could not have hoped for a better way to say it. I completely agree a few episodes should not be a reason to leave ( you can ) but not really something to leave over

Eh... Thanks :blush:

*hides in a hole, hoping to become a tree like in that picture...you know the one*

You're not my mother, I'm free to take my decisions and to feel how I want about something. If I can't be comfortable about seeing the characters I love treated like that after so many years of development, it's my problem, not yours. You want to keep watching the show and see them becoming more Peach-like and why not even becoming jesters and court buffoons? Fine. I won't judge you or anyone for being fine with that idea, but I don't count on my support on that. I've already taken my decision, and I'm not gonna change it. 

Fair enough. One cannot change their mind immediately anyway. I cannot force you to decide something, never been my intention. Just wanted to let you know of the other side of the picture. Take some time to think it through, season 6 is still recent and season 7 is still months away anyway. Maybe I'll still see you then. If not, that'd be a shame but like you said, it's your decision. :grin:

And taking the risk of seeing the six heroes who accompained me in these hard years of my life reduced to Peach-like losers again? THANKS BUT NO THANKS (for that matter I'm already taking a big enough risk by deciding to watch the S7). The Movie will be perfect as ending for me. I want to remember the Mane 6 as exemplary characters, not as pointless elements to justify a "story" like Peach or Zelda are in their own franchises.

Besides, I should remind you what happened to Spongebob and the original PPG series after they got their own featured movies?

Well, if that's how you really feel, then whatever, but I don't think having the mane six reduced to repeat damsels-in-distress is particularly likely. I doubt there's any more stories to be told in that mold, and this trope is already very uncommon in the show. Not entirely sure what people's obsession is with seeing these six be heroic, but I guess that's none of my business. 

I will say, though, that Zelda has hardly been pointless in several of the recent games. She's had a pretty significant and proactive role in just about every single one of the 3D console entries. 

• Brohoof 2

with all due respect, I don't see why you would make a post saying you would be leaving and saying why you hate the ending of season 6 (your entitled to this opinion) but you have to see that other people will have a different view. you did only make this account yesterday and made just this one post. so forgive me if I don't exactly know you. you can leave its fine but respect other peoples views as well instead of just disregarding them " your not my mother" just because they don't agree with you does not make their points invalid

Thing is, I was getting tired of Twilight Sparkle being the main protagonist of the finales, and I thought a change of pace might be good(Heck, I predicted Starlight being the main protagonist of the finale since the premier)

That being said, as a fan of the character, I want her to suffer more at the hooves of Chrysalis(and maybe Tirek) just because it makes for an interesting story.

I've already taken my decision, and I'm not gonna change it. 

Then why post this thread anyway? If i dont like this show, i will leave. No one will know or care if i just disappear right now, and it doesnt matter, you dont like the show anymore and not willing to go back, why bother about people's opinion in this forum? You want attention?  :orly:

Thing is, I was getting tired of Twilight Sparkle being the main protagonist of the finales, and I thought a change of pace might be good(Heck, I predicted Starlight being the main protagonist of the finale since the premier)

That being said, as a fan of the character, I want her to suffer more at the hooves of Chrysalis(and maybe Tirek) just because it makes for an interesting story.

Wow, you're sadistic aren't you? :D

Anyway, I think we're a bit derailing the thread here, aren't we? But if Sly isn't willing to debate any further...does the thread have any point anymore? :confused:

@@Sly, this thread doesn't seem to have a real desire to spark discussion. You said yourself that your mind is made up and are actively ignoring any differing opinions. Also, because this is more about your own personal opinion rather than creating a discussion with everyone else, it would serve better as a blog entry, so I'm locking this topic. Please familiarize yourself with our blog options in the community tab at the top of your screen.

Thanks so much for using MLP Forums and have a great day.

Locking topic.

• Brohoof 1