Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why watching MLP FiM has made me realize I'm not sexist

Tilgoreth

A couple weeks ago TheAmazingAtheist took some test from Harvard that was supposed to determine if you had inherent bias. Anyways I decided to take it to. Will turns out I do have implicit bias against people of other races and the opposite gender. Which really only confirmed something I sort of already knew about myself. Around the same time I got interested in watching MLP FiM. I really enjoyed the first two episodes and decided to watch the entire season. Before I go on I need to explain something about myself. Even though I am young one thing that bothers me personally to an extent is the thought that I am racist or sexist. Even if only subconsciously. Anyways a few weeks ago I started watching Luke Cage. One thing I never thought about while watching it was that there where no white characters. Anyways I only noticed it until one of my family members mentioned it. Usually I am the type of person that once you mention something I can't stop thinking about it. Even if I don't agree with it. What this helped me realize was that I'm not racist. The fact that Luke Cage has like two white actors doesn't bother me. I know that sounds silly but I genuinely don't want to be racist. Now at this point I think you know where this is going. If Luke Cage helped me realize I'm not racist then how did My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic help me realize I'm not sexist. To be honest I'm the type of person that when reading a book will default to assume that a character is white or male. Yes I know I am racist. Anyways I am trying to get better at not doing that. One thing I was worried about while watching MLP was that subconsciously I was substituting the characters female genders for a male one. I know that sounds stupid but this is something that bothers me. I'm not really a nice person in general I guess so I don't want to make things worse by being sexist. Anyways after watching season one I realized that I am not sexist. Even though I am a male and the main characters are female I found that I still enjoyed them and could relate to them. I don't care that there female. And yes I realize it's silly to say that I can relate to amphmorphiszed cartoon characters but that's just the way I feel.

Hey why is no one viewing this?

• Brohoof 1

Assuming that you're a white male, there's nothing wrong with empathizing more with white males.  The fact that they share the same skin color and sex as you makes them that much more identifiable to you, and you're more likely to empathize with them.  That's just how human beings work, and this whole obsession with striving towards being completely unbiased is an unattainable feat.  People will ALWAYS have their biases, and just because you have a preference for one race or sex does not make you a sexist or racist.  What WOULD make you a sexist or racist is if you held beliefs that one race or sex should be put on a pedestal above another race or sex, and nowhere in your post did I see you say that.

Honestly, I just wouldn't worry about it.  Stressing yourself out over something as minor as this isn't healthy.  Just follow the golden rule and you'll do fine  :twi:

Edited by Hazard Time
  • Brohoof 3

It sounds like the test may have bias, considering how theamazingatheist can be maybe he tried to point that out? Idk. I don't like tAA though because he can be immature and uneloquent in his expressions. 

Besides if you didn't notice a movie had no white people obviously you weren't like, dude is it just me or is it getting awefully black in here? Racist people know they are racist, and therefore you are not. I think tAA only mentions the test because of radical feminism. Sounds like assuming material from Harvard is automatically grade a is silly.

• Brohoof 1

It sounds like the test may have bias, considering how theamazingatheist can be maybe he tried to point that out? Idk. I don't like tAA though because he can be immature and uneloquent in his expressions. 

Besides if you didn't notice a movie had no white people obviously you weren't like, dude is it just me or is it getting awefully black in here? Racist people know they are racist, and therefore you are not. I think tAA only mentions the test because of radical feminism. Sounds like assuming material from Harvard is automatically grade a is silly.

Actually GAS got a no implicit racial bias detected score. He used it to show how the Sjws are wrong about him being racist. Also personally the reasons you mentions for not liking him are the exact reasons like him.

Assuming that you're a white male, there's nothing wrong with empathizing more with white males.  The fact that they share the same skin color and sex as you makes them that much more identifiable to you, and you're more likely to empathize with them.  That's just how human beings work, and this whole obsession with striving towards being completely unbiased is an unattainable feat.  People will ALWAYS have their biases, and just because you have a preference for one race or sex does not make you a sexist or racist.  What WOULD make you a sexist or racist is if you held beliefs that one race or sex should be put on a pedestal above another race or sex, and nowhere in your post did I see you say that.

Honestly, I just wouldn't worry about it.  Stressing yourself out over something as minor as this isn't healthy.  Just follow the golden rule and you'll do fine  :twi:

I'm not really stressing myself out over this. It's more of a casual worry. But it does bother me because can have pretty aggressive thoughts sometimes. And I don't like that about myself.

I do not understand the reasoning. But, okay. I highly doubt you are racist or sexist. If there's no prejudice that you take toward any group then it is safe to say that you are neither of those things.

It's simple, do you have an immediate distrust/other negative feeling for me because I'm black? Or because I'm a woman or because I'm trans? If the answer to those was no, then good job, you can cross "racism, sexism and transits(?)" Off the list of that you fear that you are :P

Let us be friends or something :D

Edited by Hastur
  • Brohoof 1

I do not understand the reasoning. But, okay. I highly doubt you are racist or sexist. If there's no prejudice that you take toward any group then it is safe to say that you are neither of those things.

It's simple, do you have an immediate distrust/other negative feeling for me because I'm black? Or because I'm a woman or because I'm trans? If the answer to those was no, then good job, you can cross "racism, sexism and transits(?)" Off the list of that you fear that you are :P

Let us be friends or something :D

I suppose it's because of some of the things people around me say. I don't want that rubbing off on me. Also part of it is I want to be able to relate people better. Lastly how do I send you a friend invite or whatever because I literally have never used a forum site before.

I suppose it's because of some of the things people around me say. I don't want that rubbing off on me. Also part of it is I want to be able to relate people better. Lastly how do I send you a friend invite or whatever because I literally have never used a forum site before.

also ps how do I use those pony Memphis.

hey can you reply to my comments I'd like to have a discussion about this.
  • Brohoof 1

A couple weeks ago TheAmazingAtheist took some test from Harvard that was supposed to determine if you had inherent bias. Anyways I decided to take it to. Will turns out I do have implicit bias against people of other races and the opposite gender. Which really only confirmed something I sort of already knew about myself.

Don't put any stock in the results of those Buzzfeed style tests, they are utter BS and don't have any actual basis to them.  If you are aware of having bias yourself then that's fine, you probably know yourself better than anyone else does.

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 1

Don't put any stock in the results of those Buzzfeed style tests, they are utter BS and don't have any actual basis to them.  If you are aware of having bias yourself then that's fine, you probably know yourself better than anyone else does.

Actually it was a test made by Harvard. And the amazing atheist got a no implicit racial bias detected score. I got the moderate racial bias detected score.

also f your curious about the test type project implicit Google and you an find the test and take it yourself.

Actually it was a test made by Harvard. And the amazing atheist got a no implicit racial bias detected score. I got the moderate racial bias detected score.

The test was made by a group of people at Harvard that much is true.  But considering the group was working under the name 'Project Implicit' it's pretty clear that they had already decided what their conclusion was going to be and constructed the test to confirm what they wanted it to.  Yes, TJ got the result that you stated, but so could anyone that wants to get that result.  These style of tests can't be viewed with any kind of credibility because all they are designed to do is use loaded questions to lure you to their preferred result and make you think 'Oh my gosh! I am [insert appropriate '-ist or '-phobic' here].

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 1

You needed a TV show to realise your not sexist? Aren't people by default not sexist ?

you didn't have to be a jerk.

The test was made by a group of people at Harvard that much is true.  But considering the group was working under the name 'Project Implicit' it's pretty clear that they had already decided what their conclusion was going to be and constructed the test to confirm what they wanted it to.  Yes, TJ got the result that you stated, but so could anyone that wants to get that result.  These style of tests can't be viewed with any kind of credibility because all they are designed to do is use loaded questions to lure you to their preferred result and make you think 'Oh my gosh! I am [insert appropriate '-ist or '-phobic' here].

Actually all the questions on the test are optional it's a series of pictures you hAve to put in to categories. Also take the test before you make assumptions about it.

Actually all the questions on the test are optional it's a series of pictures you hAve to put in to categories. Also take the test before you make assumptions about it.

I already did the race test after watching the video, irrespective of being optional the questions were so leading it was laughable.

• Brohoof 1

I already did the race test after watching the video, irrespective of being optional the questions were so leading it was laughable.

that doesn't mean anything though unless you have proof that they alter your score.

Actually GAS got a no implicit racial bias detected score. He used it to show how the Sjws are wrong about him being racist. Also personally the reasons you mentions for not liking him are the exact reasons like him.

hey can you reply to my comments I'd like to have a discussion about this.

Idk what to discuss, I made an assumption, you proved me wrong, then the part why you like him is personal preference I don't really have much to say more than what I already did. Which is people whoa re sexist have the Opinion that the other sex is inferior. As long as your opinion is cool its fine right. But yeh, I don't like the amazing atheist, if I wanna watch someone take their shirt off and jiggle their belly in a show of frustration or similar behavior I'll watch a comedy animation or such instead. If you want me to reply to your other comments, but not to me, well I agree with concerned above.

About the Harvard not being perfect thing, people always praise the highest schools and stuff, but at that rate if its true every person should be well known from harvard which isn't the case, prolly a handful each graduation get well known. And if harvard has a women's study course, well that'd speak for itself in regards to feminism.

• Brohoof 2

Idk what to discuss, I made an assumption, you proved me wrong, then the part why you like him is personal preference I don't really have much to say more than what I already did. Which is people whoa re sexist have the Opinion that the other sex is inferior. As long as your opinion is cool its fine right. But yeh, I don't like the amazing atheist, if I wanna watch someone take their shirt off and jiggle their belly in a show of frustration or similar behavior I'll watch a comedy animation or such instead. If you want me to reply to your other comments, but not to me, well I agree with concerned above.

About the Harvard not being perfect thing, people always praise the highest schools and stuff, but at that rate if its true every person should be well known from harvard which isn't the case, prolly a handful each graduation get well known. And if harvard has a women's study course, well that'd speak for itself in regards to feminism.

even if the test is biased that doesn't medically mean the results are false.

even if the test is biased that doesn't medically mean the results are false.

So, you think you might subconsciously be racist?

But tests all have a degree of inaccuracy anyways, and if there are 'iffy' options and people have more self-doubt they are more likely to get the short end of the stick. Its a confidence thing, people with higher confidence overcome obstacles easier and find more good scenarios and avoid bad ones more often. Anywho, who made the test can also be telling, was it a project from a student, or is it a teacher, or is it a teacher selling an sjw book or has a blog youtube channel etc etc. Scientists can be corrupt for publicity to get their name out there, because college debts and competition. Harvard sounds expensive. Plus it being expensive a student composing a test is more likely to reflect their biases on it, because they were a silver spoon so to speak, it leads to being spoiled, not having your ideas denied, which causes a greater consistency of confirmation bias. How long is the test? I could analyze it, or look into who made it possibly. Might not do it immediately though.

• Brohoof 1

So, you think you might subconsciously be racist?

But tests all have a degree of inaccuracy anyways, and if there are 'iffy' options and people have more self-doubt they are more likely to get the short end of the stick. Its a confidence thing, people with higher confidence overcome obstacles easier and find more good scenarios and avoid bad ones more often. Anywho, who made the test can also be telling, was it a project from a student, or is it a teacher, or is it a teacher selling an sjw book or has a blog youtube channel etc etc. Scientists can be corrupt for publicity to get their name out there, because college debts and competition. Harvard sounds expensive. Plus it being expensive a student composing a test is more likely to reflect their biases on it, because they were a silver spoon so to speak, it leads to being spoiled, not having your ideas denied, which causes a greater consistency of confirmation bias. How long is the test? I could analyze it, or look into who made it possibly. Might not do it immediately though.

if by how long is the test in terms of time to take it carts. It took me ten minutes. But there might be like fifteen actually questions with different matching scenarios for each. If you do have time I'd appreciate it if you did analyze the test as I think that would be extremely interesting.

The people currently running project implicit

http://www.kateratliff.com/

Doing some looking into project implicit it says ' However, these Universities, as well as the individual researchers who have contributed to this site, make no claim for the validity of these suggested interpretations. If you are unprepared to encounter interpretations that you might find objectionable, please do not proceed further. ' 

One study kate did was 'Howell, J. L., & Ratliff, K. A. (2016). Not your average bigot: The better-than-average effect and defensive responding to implicit bias feedback. In press at British Journal of Social Psychology.'

But according to google 75-80% of asians and whites have a white preference (if racism were this common we would still be segregated, so its wrong to assume it implies racism).

The test isn't even determining racism, its determining social bias. To explain the difference, racism= thinking you are superior to other races and you wouldn't care if a lack of diversity occurred world wide or similar ideas. Implicit bias = I was raised in a white neighborhood so being with african americans is a little weird, prolly because I only see them in the news in relation to crime or such, but I know we are equals. 

That means you are not a bigot, just not used to more diverse social gatherings. Like a rich person surrounded by homeless people would feel out of place, doesn't mean every rich person hates poor people even if a test says they have a rich-style preference.

Yet the study she did Biasedly titles it Assumingly 'not your average bigot'. Also she is likely a feminist as did a study involving that as well 'Redford, L., Howell, J. L., Meijs, M. M., & Ratliff, K. A. (2016). Implicit and explicit evaluations of feminist prototypes predict feminist identity and behavior. In press at Group Processes and Intergroup Relations.

'

But she also might not be, but considering its her preferred research she is likely an SJW with an SJW bias.

Thats all I'm looking up for now https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/aboutus.htmlthe founders don't count, they aren't really active, just founded it, the names listed below that are who are currently leading the study, and I don't feel like taking the test.

• Brohoof 2

The people currently running project implicit

http://www.kateratliff.com/

Doing some looking into project implicit it says ' However, these Universities, as well as the individual researchers who have contributed to this site, make no claim for the validity of these suggested interpretations. If you are unprepared to encounter interpretations that you might find objectionable, please do not proceed further. ' [/size]

One study kate did was 'Howell, J. L., & Ratliff, K. A. (2016). Not your average bigot: The better-than-average effect and defensive responding to implicit bias feedback. In press at [/size]British Journal of Social Psychology.'[/size]

But according to google 75-80% of asians and whites have a white preference (if racism were this common we would still be segregated, so its wrong to assume it implies racism).

The test isn't even determining racism, its determining social bias. To explain the difference, racism= thinking you are superior to other races and you wouldn't care if a lack of diversity occurred world wide or similar ideas. Implicit bias = I was raised in a white neighborhood so being with african americans is a little weird, prolly because I only see them in the news in relation to crime or such, but I know we are equals. 

That means you are not a bigot, just not used to more diverse social gatherings. Like a rich person surrounded by homeless people would feel out of place, doesn't mean every rich person hates poor people even if a test says they have a rich-style preference.

Yet the study she did Biasedly titles it Assumingly 'not your average bigot'. Also she is likely a feminist as did a study involving that as well 'Redford, L., Howell, J. L., Meijs, M. M., & Ratliff, K. A. (2016). Implicit and explicit evaluations of feminist prototypes predict feminist identity and behavior. In press at [/size]Group Processes and Intergroup Relations.

'[/size]

But she also might not be, but considering its her preferred research she is likely an SJW with an SJW bias.

Thats all I'm looking up for now https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/aboutus.htmlthe founders don't count, they aren't really active, just founded it, the names listed below that are who are currently leading the study, and I don't feel like taking the test.

sorry I didn't reply earlier. Thanks for exposing the difference between racism and social bias. The latter actually applies to me more. Also yeah I now completely agree with you that test was bogus.
  • Brohoof 1

• 3 years later...

Some test from Harvard that can tell you if you have an inherent bias? I personally wouldn't come to any conclusions off such test even if it was invented by Albert Einstein himself.

It looks like you were led to believe you can’t empathize with people of different race or gender. There’s nothing wrong with that, and certainly there’s nothing wrong with picturing a character as white all the time if you don’t have a visual cue, considering not only (I assume this), most of the US population is white, but also the media most of us consume have been historically full of white people, but that’s a result of the previous point. Hell, I picture characters I can’t see as white people and I’m not even white