This is basically our equivalent to Sonic 06.

Slashy

• Tried to do a realistic human world and made it boring in the process

• Characters are more subdued to make them more serious

Anything that isn't subdued about a character is overly flanderized

Cutscenes have awkward pacing, as if any snappy dialogue and more cuts would be less realistic or serious

Forces a boring, human love interest onto the main character

Introduces a rival to the main character which becomes the most memorable thing about it

Forces us to care about a new location despite not giving us much of a reason to do so

Despite it claiming to be separate from the original franchise it requires you to be knowledgeable about the world and characters to understand what is going on

• Brohoof 5

Pfft, even if you dislike Equestria Girls which is completely fair, it is absolutely nowhere near the train wreck that is Sonic 06. For starters, I don't feel like EQG is treated any more seriously or realistically than the main series at all. There's jokes like Twilight trying to run like a pony, Trixie and her Peanut Butter crackers, stuff like that. Plus, the humans all still have their pony names and skin colors...I can't look at this world and think realistic for a second. Admittedly, Sonic 06 is still funnier...but that's for all the wrong reasons. :please:

Not to mention, Elise is way, way, way, way, way, way, way more annoying than Flash. At least Flash doesn't get kidnapped twenty times, and if you hate the romance so much...Well, Elise is the one who kissed the dead hedgehog. :awuh:

Plus, this movie doesn't have enough loading screens to be the MLP equivalent to Sonic 06. I know it's a movie and not a video game, but if it really was like Sonic 06, it'd have loading screens anyway.

• Brohoof 12

Sounds like somepony hasn't watched the last 3 movies. And even then, at least from a production standpoint, EQG was made far better than Sonic '06. On a smaller budget. 

Edited by Denim&Venom
  • Brohoof 1

I do agree Equestria Girls still has a lot of issues and I may not like Legend of Everfree that much at all, but it doesn't come off as something like Sonic '06 to me. At least EqG wasn't the start of any downfall for the franchise... CANNOT say the same for Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic '06.

• Brohoof 1

I don't know Sonic 06 whether it's a game or something you watch but eh lot of that sounds similar to Equestria Girls. I can guess how the relation is made. Sunset Shimmer in her evil form looked like a typical Sailor Moon villain.

Edited by cider float

There is no comparison. Sonic '06 was too ambitious what with Sonic Team wanting to incorporate numerous playstyles, many of which weren't even necessary to begin with, and trying to finish a game within a ridiculous schedule limit all because Sega wanted it released in time for the PS3's launch that year.

Equestria Girls does have its faults--I won't deny this as even I can see that--and may not be for everyone, but if you give it a chance and see past the tropes, marketing, and other nitpicks, it is actually very entertaining and does well with the characters they use along with the magic lore, and finally moving on from the high-school setting.

• Brohoof 1

There is no comparison. Sonic '06 was too ambitious what with Sonic Team wanting to incorporate numerous playstyles, many of which weren't even necessary to begin with, and trying to finish a game within a ridiculous schedule limit all because Sega wanted it released in time for the PS3's launch that year.

Equestria Girls does have its faults--I won't deny this as even I can see that--and may not be for everyone, but if you give it a chance and see past the tropes, marketing, and other nitpicks, it is actually very entertaining and does well with the characters they use along with the magic lore, and finally moving on from the high-school setting.

Sonic 06 does have its faults--I won't deny this as even I can see that--and may not be for everyone, but if you give it a chance and see past the glitches, crappy playstyles, and other nitpicks, it is actually very entertaining and does well with the characters they use along with the Soleanna lore.

It really isn't a good argument as I can do it too, there are some good points in 06 it is just bogged down by glitches and an overly ambitious goal. Edited by Slashy

There are plenty of problems with the Equestria Girls, but c'mon. There's still plenty of things to like about the series and you can tell from the commentaries that the writers have some fun making it, and it's managed to build a notable fanbase

Sonic 06 is an objectively bad game full of game breaking bugs that hinder the game to the point of being unplayable, as well as shitty gimmicks and an asinine story that makes the awful journey completely pointless in the end, and solidified Sonic's position as the internet's whipping boy

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 1

Honestly, the real Sonic 06 of MLP is Season 3. Though mostly the finale. Horrid musical segments for half the episode, a completely unnecessary plot twist that changed Twilight's character in a negative way... Yeah worst episode in MLP G4 period.

EQG1 is a lazy and objectively terrible film, but it's ludicrous to compare EQG1 to it. 06 is literally unplayable thanks to its game-breaking glitches and impact that caused a near-downfall of the Sonic series. At least, you can ignore EQG when watching the main series, and it didn't make a negative dent to it at all.

And when not focusing on the gameplay and impact, 06's story, voice acting, graphics, atmosphere, and (arguably) characterization are all worse than EQG1's. Its only upside over EQG is the soundtrack.

Yeah except some of these movies are actually good so the comparison doesn't fly. Also I'd hardly call these movies subdued, excepting maybe "Legend of Everfree," which I didn't like but which is still not Sonic 06 levels of heinousness. These movies aren't much more serious than the show proper.

"The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well" is probably closer to the level of unanimous hatred Sonic 06 receives, although I personally have a particular hatred for "Magical Mystery Cure." What a piece of shit that was.

• Brohoof 1