Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What bugged me about Season 6.

Buck Testa

You could, but it wouldn't be a strong argument. With that argument any reused plot would be made immediately original by just swapping characters with your own. It takes more than that. 

Perhaps for an older audience, yes, yes it does take more than that, but for children and young, previously-unexposed-to-the-lesson minds? I disagree.

I reiterate: bronies were an unexpected phenomena and the show's company is not writing primarily for their pleasure. It is for little kids. If you did the same thing with birds, and it was with kids that hadn't learned that moral lesson yet, it would be a whole new thing to them.

Edited by Color Song

Perhaps for an older audience, yes, yes it does take more than that, but for children and young, previously-unexposed-to-the-lesson minds? I disagree.

I reiterate: bronies were an unexpected phenomena and the show's company is not writing primarily for their pleasure. It is for little kids. If you did the same thing with birds, and it was with kids that hadn't learned that moral lesson yet, it would be a whole new thing to them.

I really detest the "its just a kids show" argument .In fact I'm pretty sure this lazy idea is why this season was so poorly executed to begin with. "its just a kids show" tells the author they do not have to try, they can use sub par story telling and get away with it cause their audience doesn't know any better. This show became so popular because they DID NOT DO THIS in the first place. Hell, the whole reason the brony thing even happened is because they were actually telling good stories that even an adult could find entertaining. Its kind of mind boggling how you are arguing that lazy story writing is some how a good thing now. 

• Brohoof 1

I really detest the "its just a kids show" argument .In fact I'm pretty sure this lazy idea is why this season was so poorly executed to begin with. "its just a kids show" tells the author they do not have to try, they can use sub par story telling and get away with it cause their audience doesn't know any better. This show became so popular because they DID NOT DO THIS in the first place. Hell, the whole reason the brony thing even happened is because they were actually telling good stories that even an adult could find entertaining. Its kind of mind boggling how you are arguing that lazy story writing is some how a good thing now. 

I'm going to further this point. How many of us would be here if the stories given to us in the first few seasons were lackluster or standard children's show fare? How many of us would be here, debating the quality of a show originally intended for little girls if we weren't invested in the writing and characters to the point where we came together as a fandom!?

I'm with Buck on this one. The excuse of it being children's programming is a cop out for writers who don't want to put forth the effort to write a story that can keep children and adults entertained. There are cartoons throughout history that are an insult on the senses to adults and merely a colorful distraction to children. This show is not one of them. Any devolution to that level of "babysitter TV" would be a crime, and if I had children I wouldn't let them watch something like that.

Now, I'm not saying that Season 6 was bad. We've been through worse. If anything it's the most average season out of the bunch for me. Some good, some bad, no really terrible or fantastic episodes for me, however. They tended more toward the middle of the road. I think it might be because they took fewer risks and went a bit more formulaic, but I hope the new talent will hit a stride next season and make it the best one yet.

I'm still hopeful. No amount of disappointment in any one episode (looking at you, 28 Pranks Later) will ruin my optimism. There have been rough patches before. The show can make it through it, or we can still celebrate the good seasons when the show inevitably kicks the bucket. Just because a show peters out doesn't mean we have to stop celebrating our love for it.

• Brohoof 2

Thing is, there is a clear example of a multiple point of view done right episode in this VERY SEASON, which makes that episode all the more jarring. Saddle Row Review, which I contest is probably one of the single best episodes of the series and the clear winner of the season, told a multiple point of view plot that was actually entertaining, in large part because they made it their own and really highlighted the characters personalities and the fun nature of the show. I don't know who worked on that episode but it blew P.P.O.V out of the water in terms of quality.

I suppose you have a point there, though Saddle Row Review more had "commentary" on the episode by the different ponies rather than showing what happened from exaggeratedly biased individual viewpoints. I do agree the episode was one of the best the show ever had.