Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Confused about Equestrian Education

Nas

I'm confused about the schools in Equestria....Ok, here's what we know so far:

In Lesson Zero, Twilight states that she worries that Celestia will send her back to "Magic Kindergarten", which is assimably in Canterlot. Also beore she went to Ponyville, she was enrolled to Princess Celestia's Magic School for the Gifted, whicj might be for a similar age group. In Ponyville, there is an elementary school where a lot of familiar background and supporting ponies, as well as the CMC go to.

So, the only educational facilities canonically mentioned were low-grade-level, which makes me wonder if that's all the education an average pony needs in their life in that universe. But don't you think it's wierd...?

Think about it, the Mane 6, on the majority of age group people believe they're in, would be about late high school, early-college level. But, as far as we know, none of them go to any kind of school. Also, there seems to be no higher grade-level educational facility in Equestria. I'm wondering, like I stated previously, do the ponies in that world not need a big level of education or something? Pretty smart equines, if ya ask me. O_o

They likely just never mentioned higher-level education. Twilight never mentioned her bro until recently, why couldn't it be the same with higher education? Also, methinks the mane-6 are in their early 20s of life, so they wouldn't be going to high school. They're all independent from their parents, after all.

(edited)

Well, magic kindergarten is obviously the lowest form of education that there is for the unicorn children.

I believe that places like the Ponyville School-house are primary schools for all different types of races of ponies.

Then there is Cloudsdale flight school (it may have a fancier name that I have forgotten). That is of course for pegasi ponies alone. It seems that unicorns and pegasi each get their own separate schools whilst earth ponies don't, a bit biased, but I digress to the matter at hand.

Lifespan may be different so a couple of years at school may be all they need in life. After all, we go to school to get good jobs but for creatures that have their talents outlined on their flanks for all to see, C.V's and GCSE's are not necessary qualifications. On a side note, I always thought that Princess Celestia's Magical School for the Gifted may be an educational type that allows any younger-teenager years of ponies to join. Almost like a secondary school and a college rolled into one where ponies were judged based on talent, not age. That's just my two cents though.

Edited by Gingerpotato

Well, their lifespan is most likely drastically lower than ours, so I guess that's a theory.

Ponyville was said to be hundreds of years old, and Granny Smith was a filly when Ponyville was first established, as shown in the episode "Family Appreciation Day", so Granny Smith is >200 years old, and considered a very old pony. This means that ponies' lifespan are likely at least twice as long as humans, not drastically lower.

Ponyville was said to be hundreds of years old, and Granny Smith was a filly when Ponyville was first established, as shown in the episode "Family Appreciation Day", so Granny Smith is >200 years old, and considered a very old pony. This means that ponies' lifespan are likely at least twice as long as humans, not drastically lower.

But that's not like real ponies! ... But while we are speaking of real ponies, they can't use magic or fly now can they?

Aw, the heck with my theory.

What do you think their cutie marks are there for.

They don't need higher level of education if they will have a long term occupation for their future outcomes.

And I don't want to be going further in detail about fictional ponies.

• Brohoof 1

Well, their lifespan is most likely drastically lower than ours, so I guess that's a theory.

^^ this. I must say it's rather silly they have education. They do have shorter lives, thus, their education is adjusted to where it would be relevant to a human. (excuse the reference)

Twilight never mentioned her bro until recently, why couldn't it be the same with higher education?

I get the feeling that we have more "big" facts to discover with future episodes. I had no clue about Twi's brother until there he was. There may indeed be high forms of education that simply have not been mentioned. Actually, I think it would be more interesting if the education in Equestria was different than ours. I highly agree with removing age expectation from education (in regards to encouraging kids to excel - not procrastinate).

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

The point of education in that world is to fulfill your destiny (receiving your cutie mark)? But then, you'd think the already-marked students, such as Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon, Featherweight, Snips, Snails, etc. would be graduated by now.

IDK, I think I'm a bit lost here. 0-o

Edited by NASCARFAN160

(edited)

Oh, I forget to mention, ya'll can't forget that Twilight is Celestia's most faithful student.

That also confuses me, her faithful student in what? Right now, I think it's safe to say that she's just her personal student in learning about Friendship, nothing else educational.

Edited by NASCARFAN160

There must be some form of higher education. Shining Armor is captain of the royal guard, he can't have learned that in kindergarten so there must be some kind of traning school for him to become royal guard and ponies that go there would likely need a certain age since it's kind of like military training. Unless of course Shining Armor is that naturally talented that he needs no training.

That also confuses me, her faithful student in what? Right now, I think it's safe to say that she's just her personal student in learning about Friendship, nothing else educational.

Hey, it is of course in Magic .... and some other things: "The magic of Friendship" ....

She's probably learning advanced magic with Celestia being her personal teacher.

They likely just never mentioned higher-level education. Twilight never mentioned her bro until recently, why couldn't it be the same with higher education? Also, methinks the mane-6 are in their early 20s of life, so they wouldn't be going to high school. They're all independent from their parents, after all.

Actually later in the first season it is revealed that Rarity sill lives with her parents. It was in the episode where Rarity is left to take care of her sister while her parents away for a while. Perhaps they are still in their mid to late teens.

From what I've seen so far higher education seems to be optional-like college. Because there are only a few ponies who seem to have actually attended higher schools (I.e. Twighlight and the magic academy or Fluttershy and Rainbow and the Cloudsdale academy).

Actually later in the first season it is revealed that Rarity sill lives with her parents. It was in the episode where Rarity is left to take care of her sister while her parents away for a while. Perhaps they are still in their mid to late teens.

From what I've seen so far higher education seems to be optional-like college. Because there are only a few ponies who seem to have actually attended higher schools (I.e. Twighlight and the magic academy or Fluttershy and Rainbow and the Cloudsdale academy).

No, Rarity lives on her own and Sweetie Belle lives with her parents. In the episode you were talking about (Sisterhooves Social), their parents were going on vacation and couldn't take care of Sweetie Belle on it, so Sweetie Belle was left to live with Rarity until their parents returned from vacation. You can rewatch the episode or see the summary of it on mlpwiki, if you don't believe me.

Well, learning to fly or finding your special talent(for some) probably isn't as complicated as studying magic, but since Twilight's special talent is magic, she likely requires a higher education to study it so she can master it.

The "my most faithful student" title uses the term "student" in the sense of protege or apprentice, not the more modern Western definition.

And if we accept magic, I think we can accept reasonably long lifespans for ponies.

• Brohoof 1

I would think it depends on the cutie mark and the kind of applications it has. There may be a sort of tutoring system in place where ponies with one cutie mark/talent pass down knowledge to those with the same talent.

Also, cutie marks seem to be mostly quite broad. For example, there are loads of Canterlot guards we see. They probably don't all have shields like Shining Armour, but they probably all have something at least vaguely defence related, as it seems uncharacteristic of Celestia to demand or even suggest that ponies defend Canterlot rather than follow their special talent.

And yeah, they probably have at least as long a lifespan as humans do. In fact, on average it's probably a bit longer. If we assume that they would have a human lifespan in an environment like Earth (I know they're technically horses, but just roll with it) then the conditions in Equestria (very little pollution, far advanced medical knowledge thanks to magic, etc.) probably extend it by quite a bit more. Granny Smith worked on an apple farm, so probably had loads of regular exercise and a great diet as well. I'm not sure a human could get to 200+ even in those conditions, however, so who knows?

Sorry, that went kinda off topic. Actually, those guards etc. might be older ponies who just got bored with routine and wanted a change of scenery, perhaps to follow another 'branch' of their cutie mark. Of course, there's little-to-no proof of any of this in the actual show, so take it as you wish :lol:

• Brohoof 2

No, Rarity lives on her own and Sweetie Belle lives with her parents. In the episode you were talking about (Sisterhooves Social), their parents were going on vacation and couldn't take care of Sweetie Belle on it, so Sweetie Belle was left to live with Rarity until their parents returned from vacation. You can rewatch the episode or see the summary of it on mlpwiki, if you don't believe me.

Oh, I see, that makes sense. I wondered why Rarity was the only pony living with her parents.