Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Lovely Ones

MachineGunLola

Flick was in the girl's bathroom washing her hands when she saw a crying flurry that was kind of coloured like Jillian running into the stall. She heard the blurry girl sobbing from inside the nearby stall. Flick finished rinsing, turned off the tap and went to get some paper towel. While she was drying her hands Flick called "do you need someone to talk to mysterious sobbing bathroom stall?" She was fairly certain it was Jillian but she had witnessed enough to know that if Jillian knew that Flick thought it was her she wouldn't accept her help.

Jillian sighed and opened the stall door.

She wiped at her eyes, opened her purse, and pulled out her makeup to re-do it.

"No thank you, Flick. I'm f-fine."

She smiled weakly.

"Just. This shirt. Cost three-hundred dollars. And now it's got coffee on it, and it's cashmere!"

She stomped her foot.

She smiled at Flick and shrugged.

"I'll just have to deal with it. I always bring spare clothes to school though, thank God."

She opened her backpack and pulled out a spare shirt- plain black.

"This only cost eighty."

She laughed.

"Well, I better go. See you around."

She paused.

"Um. If you ever want to.. Talk or anything.. Here's my number."

She wrote it down and handed it to Flick, then left.

"Who do you think you are, hanging around Jillian, Giant?"

Jillian heard someone saying.

She hurried down the hall and saw the football team around Jake, kicking at him and insulting him.

"She's way too good for you."

Jillian marched right into the middle of the team and shielded Jake.

"You guys need to re-think yourselves. Who do YOU think you are to be doing this?"

She glared at them all.

"But Jillian.."

"Shut the hell up, and get outta here. You won't believe how fast I can have you kicked off the team."

She held up a hand, and the team left.

Jillian turned to Jake and held out a hand to help him up.

"I-I'm sorry for lunch. I wasn't mad at you, and I didn't mean what I said. I was upset because of that girl, and I went into defense mode.." She bit her lip to hold back tears.

"And I know you probably hate me and don't believe me, but that's okay.. I deserve it."

She blinked and a tear fell onto the floor.

Flick was taken aback when Jillian handed her the phone number. "Thanks. I'll call sometime." She turned and left the bathroom. She adjusted the strap of her camera bag awkwardly on her shoulder, shrugged off the weird feeling left over and then left the school to head to her car. She saw the football team beating on some kid and pulled out her camera to take pictures of the chaos.

Jillian ran in a broke up the fight and Flick couldn't stop her shutter. She kept taking pictures of Jillian in her badassness. Flick snapped some pictures of her telling off the jocks, of the jocks' disappointment, fear, and shock. Then through the lens Flick saw Jillian help Jake up and she looked ashamed, Flick was about to put her camera away because she didn't want to see Jillian's shame for some reason. The jocks' shame was fine to preserve but Jillian's shame was private. Before Flick could lower her camera entirely she snapped a picture of Jake's face. She didn't look at it she just wanted to keep the snapshot of his face during Jillian's apology. Maybe someday Jillian would want to see it. Flick continued to her car and drove off to snap some pictures of the student protest in front of City Hall.

• Brohoof 1

Jake looked down at Jillian, already feeling his heart warming up to her since she apologized. He gave a small smile, and brought up his hand to gently wipe away another tear that was on her cheek. "Hey, I don't hate you, so don't think that alright?" he said gently.

Kya awoke, late. She checked the clock. 1:03 pm?! She let out a sigh, not seeing the point in going this late.

She got dressed in her usual, faded, and oversized jeans, a simple gray shirt, and put her hair into a lose braid. She slipped on her old patched brown jacket and picked up Garu, slipping him inside her jacket, so only his head peeked out of the collar. She went outside and looked across the street in horror. Jillian, and Jake. Drinking coffee. And Jillian was staring at her. Kya panicked, she knew Jillian would now harass her about where she lived. Kya sighed and leaned against the wall, petting Garu's head absently.

There goes any chance of having a peaceful day...

Jake ordered a simple cappuccino, drinking it as he spoke with Jillian. He noticed Kya, and felt sympathy when he saw where she had come out of. He turned to Jillian, "You know, you may want to talk to her eventually. She's downright petrified of you. Perhaps you should let her know you aren't as bad as she thinks you are"

Flick pulled up to City Hall to see the reporter writing the piece on this student protest interviewing students. Flick stood back taking snap shots of the intense faces on the concerned students' involved. As the reporter moved on to other groups of students to get their perspective for his article Flick would follow along and ask the last group he spoke with to get together for photos. "Alright everyone scoot in together and look angry, or concerned or whatever it is you feel about this issue." The students posed readily for the pictures and Flick snapped photos liberally. After about a half hour of constant snapshots Flick headed back to her Charger and drove off back toward the school.

"Geez, I need a little pick-me-up." Flick thought as she sung loudly, and poorly along with Adele's Rumor Has It. She turned at the lights and headed toward the Starbucks. She pulled in, hopped out, and locked her Charger behind her with a double push of the button. The happy honky of her car affirmed its locked state and Flick sauntered into the Starbucks. She pushed the door open and saw Jake and Jillian, "together again, surprise surprise." Flick smiled and lifted her camera for a quick candid shot of the two together. Jake wasn't popular but he WAS attractive, and nice to everyone, so if he ended up with Jillian they would be a natural power couple and would probably have a couple spread in the yearbook; she'd need photo options for the layout.

Flick stepped up to the counter and ordered a chai latte. As she waited for her order she turned and waved to Jillian, she smiled and held up her phone to indicate that she had put Jillian into her contacts. Flick received her chai and turned to leave, "Thanks man," she called to the Starbucks barista.

Jillian saw Flick wave to her and indicate that she'd put her number in her phone.

She smiled and nodded.

"Well, I- I don't like Kya. She's too wimpy. Maybe she should stick up for herself. And quit stalking you."

Jillian was saying to Jake as she drank her coffee.

"True, but perhaps you should at least let her know you aren't targeting her for anything. Perhaps you can also tell her she needs to toughen up a bit." he told her taking a drink from his coffee.

Jillian smiled.

"Alright. I'll try. Next time I see her."

She finished her coffee and ordered another one.

"Ah, I love iced coffee." She took a big drink.

"Hey, do you wanna go walk Miku with me later?"

Kya rounded a bend and slipped into the shelter, heading to the soup kitchen.

"I'll take the ladle now, Granny." she said, smiling to her not-really-grandma-just-acts-like-it-grandma. The kind woman nodded and took as seat at one of the tables, as Kya ladled soup into bowls for her friends and family.

Jillian smiled at Miku and gave him a kiss when she saw him.

"Who's my baby?" She cooed, and then put him on a leash.

She saw Jake looking at her oddly.

"What is it?" She asked, hoping nothing was on her face.

Flick pulled up to her house and parked her car in the driveway on angle. She never bothered to pull in straight when her parents weren't home. She got out of her Charger and walked into the house double clicking the lock button as she went in a nonchalant fashion that is usually reserved for the extremely attractive or extremely wealthy. Flick was neither, her parents were the wealthy ones, but she pulled off the swagger because she was feeling awesome. I have my photo assignments for yearbook and the paper completely finished. Flick gave a mega-watt smile to nobody in particular, unless her mother's geraniums count, because this meant that she had some free time to work on freestyle photographs for fun. Flick ran up the stairs and neatened her appearance. She changed from her normal black t-shirt and black jeans to a breezy black dress and cute ballerina flats then set out with her camera.

Kya's eyes shot open and she blinked, stumbling up the steps and running into the door.

"please don't hurt me Jillian, I'll pay you if you want, just please don't hurt me..." She said quietly, holding her head and cowering as she waiting for the insults that would send her into another day of sadness.