Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler My theory as to why Sunset hasn't met with Celestia again yet

MovieLord101

As I said elsewhere on the boards, I was not happy that Sunset's first time back in Equestria recently  (That we know of) did not involve her finally paying Celestia a visit to finally reconcile. However, after thinking it over, I've figured out my own reason as to why she might not have met with her "mentor" after all these years yet. It's clear the people doing the EQG stories might save that for something bigger, hence my reason to speculate. My theory has a good chance of being wrong but who knows:

I don't think Celestia and Sunset Shimmer were just "teacher and student". I think Sunset's really Celestia's daughter.

"BUT WAIT!" you all ask. "Why would a. Celestia lie to Twilight about who Sunset really is/Wouldn't everyone in Canterlot know who Sunset was if she were a princess? and b. How come Sunset isn't an alicorn?" The answers to both are quiet simple, really:

a. First off, we all know Celestia is known for harboring great regrets often like with Sunset running away and Luna turning evil. Luna's also got a lot of inner turmoil, too, as we all well know by now. We saw with Nightmare Moon that, regardless of how many years it's been since her banishment, clearly Luna was regarded as little else than a myth by that point whilst Luna's proven to be terrible with dealing with her guilt (*cough cough the Tantibus incident *Cough cough*). Who's to say Celestia's secretly bad at it too? What if her way of dealing with Luna's banishment and Sunset's disappearance was to all BUT wipe any trace of them from everypony's memories and records using her magic and maybe the Elements (she still was wielding them at the time) as to make Luna mostly a myth and Sunset her student and not her daughter? Think a more powerful version of the "Obliviate" spell from Harry Potter (remember when Hermione used it on her parents at the beginning of "Deathly Hallows Part 1"?). She didn't tell Twilight the truth to keep hiding her guilt.

b. As for why Sunset isn't an alicorn, here's my take: just because Celestia is an alicorn herself doesn't necessarily mean Sunset would be born one as well. Shining Armor and Cadence got really lucky with Flurry Heart being born one. Simple as that given that there aren't any other pure-born alicorns around ATM that we know of.

Again, I might be proven wrong on all of this and it could just be the writers being lazy with continuity but it makes for a good head cannon. Thoughts?

• Brohoof 3

You have a good point. I was being really harsh on Mirror Magic because of the execution of the story and Sunset's character in that was slightly developed. But if that keeps going than Equestria Girls in my opinion will get less worse if it never has anything new.

• Brohoof 1

I'm kinda hardly surprised no one's commenting on my theory. Unless everypony else on here has the same idea.

I know I'm barely on here a lot but some replies would be nice please. :(

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, MovieLord101 said:

I'm kinda hardly surprised no one's commenting on my theory. Unless everypony else on here has the same idea.

I know I'm barely on here a lot but some replies would be nice please. :(

I'm here, and your not responding my reply.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Lonely Fanboy48 said:

You have a good point. I was being really harsh on Mirror Magic because of the execution of the story and Sunset's character in that was slightly developed. But if that keeps going than Equestria Girls in my opinion will get less worse if it never has anything new.

We'll see soon enough...

• Brohoof 1

I guess she's Sunbutt's daughter in SOME alternate universe, which have proven to be canon since EQ

the only pony we've seen her romantic with is Good King Sombra in the IDW "reflections" arc, but Sunbutt was pretty young, then- and Starswirl was still alive- Sunset couldn't possibly be her daughter from that relationship....

12 hours ago, MovieLord101 said:

b. As for why Sunset isn't an alicorn, here's my take: just because Celestia is an alicorn herself doesn't necessarily mean Sunset would be born one as well. Shining Armor and Cadence got really lucky with Flurry Heart being born one. Simple as that given that there aren't any other pure-born alicorns around ATM that we know of.

Or maybe she is an alicorn but has Celestia , or even Sunset herself, made an change of shape by her. 

latest?cb=20111218163509&path-prefix=nl

On 6/23/2017 at 10:03 AM, MovieLord101 said:

Then how come the two haven't met to reconcile yet?

You're missing the focus of the spinoff films! It's not supposed to be about Celestia and Sunset apologizing; it's about the goings-on in an alternative universe. It bugs me when people complain that the focus is not where THEY want to be, rather than accept the focus on what the show runners chose. The complainers just suck the fun out of a decent spinoff! Anyway, about Sunset not apologizing to Celestia, I must argue that you're wrong!

You forgot that in Rainbow Rocks, when Sunset wrote in her magic journal, she clearly said she was going to write to Princess Celestia to get Twilight's help! We don't exactly what was written in there other than an description of the situation in Canterlot High, but for all we know, Sunset wrote a whole page to apologize to Celestia.

Even if Celestia didn't get a chance to see the apology with her own eyes, Twilight could very easily have shown her after Twilight's help has concluded. 

I really like this idea, it would be an amazing reunion between the two. I just don't think it works though; how would pony Sunset be Celestia's daughter, but human Sunset isn't. Almost everything in both worlds is the same, down to Sci-Twi having a dog named Spike. You could say that human sunset died very young, but I don't see Hasbro really going for that idea.

Too bad, cause, like I said, I really love this idea. 

• 1 month later...

It's an interesting thought.  The obvious question then becomes "who is the father".  But then we don't really see a lot of males in MLP.    Star swirl would be a good choice, but he hasn't been around for a very, very long time.  How old is Sunset in her pony form?  Then again it could be the reason he's vanished into the mist of history.  

I'd think the main reason that Sunset wouldn't seek Celestia out is that she's scared.  After everything she did, how can she face the pony who was her mentor?  Another side of this is that now that the portal is on-demand why hasn't Celestia either gone to CHS or summoned Sunset home?  Could it be they are both scared?

Edited by Skytower
  • Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Skytower said:

It's an interesting thought.  The obvious question then becomes "who is the father".  But then we don't really see a lot of males in MLP.    Star swirl would be a good choice, but he hasn't been around for a very, very long time.  How old is Sunset in her pony form?  Then again it could be the reason he's vanished into the mist of history.  

I'd think the main reason that Sunset wouldn't seek Celestia out is that she's scared.  After everything she did, how can she face the pony who was her mentor?  Another side of this is that now that the portal is on-demand why hasn't Celestia either gone to CHS or summoned Sunset home?  Could it be they are both scared?

It's worth noting when Princess Twilight called her to Equestria in "Mirror Magic", she seemed fairly worried about it. I really hope this is meant as foreshadowing for something later, because I think them not tackling her ties with Equestria in future installments would be probably the single biggest waste of opportunity in all of G4.

While many would love to see Sunset reconcile with Celestia, it just isn't seen as being a priority right now with the direction Equestria Girls is going. Besides, Sunset might still not be ready to face her old mentor given what happened between them according to "The Fall of Sunset Shimmer". When she was asked to go back to Equestria according to what Twilight said in her message, she showed hesitation towards going into the portal yet eventually went through with it. Even now after all this time, Sunset still lacks confidence when it comes to going back to the world of her birth.

• Brohoof 1

I wonder if it is because she is becoming more and more comfortable in her human form.  She's been continuously human for years now, with only twice going back to Equestria and assuming her true form.  The first time she seemed to have no trouble with magic or movement, but the second time it took some reminding from Starlight.  Maybe at some point Sunset decided that there was nothing for her in Equestria and pushed everything that reminded her of it out of her mind.  We don't know if she has any family.  Also she has some magic now which was the only thing I think she was really missing about being a unicorn.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Skytower said:

I wonder if it is because she is becoming more and more comfortable in her human form.  She's been continuously human for years now, with only twice going back to Equestria and assuming her true form.  The first time she seemed to have no trouble with magic or movement, but the second time it took some reminding from Starlight.  Maybe at some point Sunset decided that there was nothing for her in Equestria and pushed everything that reminded her of it out of her mind.  We don't know if she has any family.  Also she has some magic now which was the only thing I think she was really missing about being a unicorn.

That's more or less what I've been thinking. Honestly, one of my absolute favorite things about Sunset's character is the fact that, despite spending most of her life as a pony, she managed to fully integrate herself in the human world so well that she almost entirely acts just as human as the rest. There's just something I find incredibly fascinating about all that.

I definitely think future installments should do something involving her either having to revisit her old life (like, she'll be reminded of what things were back in Equestria compared to her new life, and possibly even growing to appreciate things about it that she couldn't before), simply because I think the idea has endless potential, especially given you really couldn't pull off this kind of setup in other franchises and even FiM. Either that, or give her an overarching character arc involving her slowly becoming homesick then eventually having to pick a side; I know something like this was in the initial draft of Friendship Games, but looking at the deleted scenes I honestly don't think this side-plot would've done this idea justice. It deserves an all-out treatment.

At some point she might have to make a choice, but that I think depends on the portal.  Twilight could have taken her back the first time -voluntarily or not- but she chose to let Sunset stay.  

Alone among the girls Sunset doesn't have a set career goal or destiny.  If Applejack ever leaves Sweet Apple Acres it will be for another farm, Rainbow just hasn't settled on a single sport yet, Rarity, Fluttershy, Pinky are set in careers that mach their personalities just as their counterparts in Equestria. They may take slightly different forms, Fluttershy may become a vet and I can see Rainbow joining the air force, but they are pretty much set.  Even Twilight, set her down in a lab or a library and she's set.  But Sunset doesn't really have a destiny yet.  She could easily be an adventuress and she is like Twilight drawn to the sciences, but it's doubtful she ever pictured a destiny for herself that didn't include ruling.  That gives her a lot of flexibility and I hope the writers explore it.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if there was a summons from Celistia would Sunset return?  Say a member of her family or someone she wronged in Equestria heard that she was able to come back and asked Celestia to summon her, would she come?  Or would it depend on who was asking and why?