Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think [spoiler] Might be the TRUE villain of the movie?

Unlikeable Pony

So, here's a question: In the prequel comic, we are introduced to strife: a villain who is disgusted by the storm kings jovial personality and lack of "true" malice, who is shown to be very cunning and outright betrays and humiliates the storm king.
He is NOWHERE to be seen in the movie trailer, or any promo material.

Do you think Strife is a comic only thing, or do you think he's being hidden as a villain in the movie like plot twists might be hidden in promo stuff for other movies? (Like how they outright lied bout talia al ghul being in the dark knight rises)

Untitled222.png

(edited)
4 hours ago, cmarston1 said:

I could see this happening, especially if the movie wants to go the modern Disney route and have a surprise twist villain.

One thing also is that Strife is a much more anti-thetical name to the mane six in theme-- Strife being the opposite of harmony after all.

4 hours ago, natemans said:

No. Strife betrays the Storm King

Could be a third party that's trying to play both sides off each other and is more "pure evil" compared to Storm king being a "Selfish/pragmatic evil" kind of character-- Would allow for their theme of befriending others and friendship without feeling too much of a letdown if they have storm king get reformed in order to team up at the end with the heroes to stop a more malevolent one.
In the comic he does a giant speech about "I have no friends because they merely hold you back" thing, which, combined with his more humorous actions in the comic strikes me as intending him to be more of a Discord kind of villain who learns about the value of friends.

Ye probably. Especially considering in the trailer storm king hugs both Twilight and Tempest.

My big thing about doubting myself though is that there is no mention at all of any VA for Strife, which makes it seem less likely he's actually in the movie, unless they're being VERY careful about making him a twist.

Edited by Unlikeable Pony

• 2 weeks later...

I understand what you're thinking re: the comic tie-in but, if there ends up being a secret villain - or ally - in the film, my money would be on Chrysalis for either.

(edited)

I think I would like that very much. I don't like the stormking because of the trailer.

But what or who is strife?

Edited by Hierok

I've never read the comic, but I could definitely see Strife being a villain, going by how you've described him. I do think Storm King is a little comical to be a true villain, going by his demeanor in that one part of the trailer.

So does that mean Tempest is a subordinate of this guy? And the character voiced by Michael Peña is subordinate of her? Are we going to have some long villain chain in this movie?

Alternatively, Storm King IS the villain, but he's just upset that he was betrayed by strife and it's up to the mane six to help him experience friendship again. :P

On 6/29/2017 at 2:52 PM, Unlikeable Pony said:

My big thing about doubting myself though is that there is no mention at all of any VA for Strife, which makes it seem less likely he's actually in the movie, unless they're being VERY careful about making him a twist.

Unless Strife is also voiced by Liev Schreiber. I'm an avid documentary viewer and he can really pull off a wide assortment of tones and voices (as we saw in the trailer with Storm King). That is one way they could pull it off secretly. 

I have also wondered what if it was Tempest Shadow who was the true villain of the movie and ended up betraying The Storm King.

I would actually really like it if the edgy character with a tragic backstory we all assumed was going to be reformed given previous experiences in the show, ended up not being reformed and instead was the true villain of the piece.

5 hours ago, cmarston1 said:

I have also wondered what if it was Tempest Shadow who was the true villain of the movie and ended up betraying The Storm King.

I would actually really like it if the edgy character with a tragic backstory we all assumed was going to be reformed given previous experiences in the show, ended up not being reformed and instead was the true villain of the piece.

she certainly got alot more screentime in the trailer. Barely got any feel for the storm king from it.