Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Starlight being shoved down peoples throat

Firedog

27 minutes ago, Kiryu-Chan said:

I mean, he's not wrong about the disconnect between Starlight and the Remane 5, despite the show pushing her as a 7th main member of the group, they both still feel very much distant, yet the show wants us to believe they're all close. I think that's probably one area both sides of the argument can agree upon

I mean.........what really have we seen that makes them seem like they ARE actually close supposed. From the beginning of that montage in The Cutie Re-mark I've always seen them as seeing Starlight as Twilight's pupil or just another resident of Ponyville given some help to adjust to her new life. Like she isn't invited to things with them, and when do they actually go and talk to her (not the other way around like a student going to her teachers)? When she is brought into their stories it's because she's either useful for the situation (Fame and Misfortune/It Isn't The Mane Thing) or there's a character she is actually close with involved in the story (Crystalling/Shadow Play). I'd say Pinkie is the only one who has been casual with her but that's also Pinkie's nature so....

I can't say this has been the best route for her character but I feel people were so quick to immediately want to see her as a Sunset clone who doesn't deserve to be part of the Mane 6 (which I fully agree Sunset has been wonderfully integrated into her own main cast) that maybe just maybe she never was supposed to feel like that in the first place. All she is is just another character thrown into the ever expanding ensemble cast meant to give some stories to develop secondary characters like herself.

• Brohoof 3

4 hours ago, Kiryu-Chan said:

I mean, he's not wrong about the disconnect between Starlight and the Remane 5, despite the show pushing her as a 7th main member of the group, they both still feel very much distant, yet the show wants us to believe they're all close. I think that's probably one area both sides of the argument can agree upon

Like @KH7672 said, I’m not so sure Starlight is being played off as part of the main group, at least not yet. Who knows, there were some episodes where she was shown being there for Rarity or Fluttershy, so maybe that I’ll change going forward. With what little we saw from the season 8 animatic, they all might be working closely together from now on.

On 2017-10-24 at 1:46 PM, Kiryu-Chan said:

The notion that she doesn't feel a connection to the mane six has potential, but not much is done with it. The show often feels to me like it wants to have its cake and eat it too, so Starlight's appearances often feel like they're taking time away from the mane six. And since I agree with this:

On 2017-10-24 at 0:53 PM, Them's Seeing Ponies said:

There is little personality in Starlight for the audience to connect with, so we feel that DHX's emphasis on her is objectively 'shallow' in some cases.

I find that very frustrating. 

Edited by AlexanderThrond
  • Brohoof 1

I actually agree that Season 7 made her more of an interesting character than in Season 6.  Especially with

Rock Solid Friendship

A Royal Problem(My 2nd favorite episode of the season.  Only the Perfect Pear tops it))

To Change a Changeling

Uncommon Bond

Also, call me crazy, but a while ago, I mentioned about how Starlight should become a mentor to a troubled youngster, just to help with her character development.  And not only that, I would rather it be Starlight's decision rather than Twilight forcing her down this path.  That way, it can help push her into becoming a better pony.

Of course, poking fun at yourself wouldn't hurt, ether.

And on a side note, I still think MLP is becoming more of an Ensemble series.

Edited by SaburoDaimando

Starlight is a character that I have endless mixed opinions on. On one side, she has improved quite a lot, becoming more fleshed out and far more likable, even if she is still overpowered with no explanation. Uncommon Bond was easily her best episode, it was superbly done. Then we get to things like the season 7 finale, ironically right after her best episode and then every other character is made into a fool so it can be the Starlight show at the end. We either get her being written very well, or everyone else being written very poorly to make her look good. Makes it hard to definitively say how I feel about her.

• Brohoof 1

Starlight's cute, but I think she's kinda dull sometimes...

Because of the above, I tend to internally groan at the moment when I realize that the episode I'm watching is a Starlight episode. I don't really see it as a huge issue. I mean it's not something that's gonna ruin my day, so I don't worry about it too much.

Edited by Heavenly Inexplicit

On 10/24/2017 at 2:46 PM, Kiryu-Chan said:

i agree with this, i mean i love her as the 7th myself, but them being too scared to put her with the mane group most times is getting old. i know thats in part because they wanted to work her in slowly to let people get used to the idea of a 7th, and also they didnt want her to be the "7th" officially till the movie was done, otherwise they'd have to rewrite it, but as i said before in other treads, her role right now of being part of the mane group but not really is annoying. hopefully in season 8 now that the movie is done they'll make her the 7th officially, and with her already the 7th teacher of the school of friendship along side the other 6 in the season 8 animatic it's looking like it's headed that way.

Edited by Jade Fire
  • Brohoof 1

• 4 years later...
3 minutes ago, Sven Seelenherz said:

I... I wouldn't call it like that, personally. :twismile: She is an excellent addition to the show and I didn't notice anything bad. :)

We actually need more starlight shoved down or throats!

(edited)

She was pushed in the episodes a lot but she wasn't made out to be a Mary Sue or anything, in fact she was always very flawed and had to constantly learn from past mistakes.

Edited by ExplosionMare
  • Brohoof 1

28 minutes ago, ExplosionMare said:

She was pushed in the episodes a lot but she wasn't made out to be a Mary Sue or anything, in fact she was always very flawed and had to constantly learn from past mistakes.

Actually she is but dosnt do it...she did in one episode and quickly regretted it.

35 minutes ago, Kujamih said:

Actually she is but dosnt do it...she did in one episode and quickly regretted it.

Yeah, she "learns" to appease Twilight then does the same thing all over again