Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

When I was showing the first episodes of MLP to my friend it got me thinking about my first time watching them and my first impression of the Mane 6. 

Rarity is my favorite character of the Mane 6, but when I first watched the show I really thought of her as shallow:pout:, conceited :proud: and narcissistic :grin:. I really saw her in a bad light and it wasn't until the episode Suited For Success, that I started seeing her for the generous :rarity:, thoughtful :please:and sincere :D pony that she is. It was then that I started noticing her actions more than usual and fell in love with her. :wub:

So I want to know:

Which of the mane 6, or peripheral characters, made a bad first impression on you and when was it (if ever) did they change your opinion of them?

Are they one of, or your ultimate favorite now?

Do you think the writers did that character, or characters, an injustice by premiering them with a lack luster story or painted them in a lesser than greater light?  

• Brohoof 3

I thought Fluttershy was gonna be my favorite and Rarity was gonna be my least favorite, Fluttershy was insanely adorable while I thought Rarity was gonna be the superficial fashionista like other girl's cartoons had.

Fluttershy is now my least favorite character(with RD becoming my favorite instead) as all I felt to her was just being shy and adorable(last two seasons improved her greatly though) while Rarity became my 3rd favorite(formally 2nd but Twilight grew on me more over time and eventually took 2nd instead) who both became both a more interesting character and one of the funniest in the whole show

• Brohoof 3

When I first started watching,  Fluttershy did leave a pretty good impression on me with how adorable she was, and she has been my favorite ever since.

I never thought I would like Rarity as much as I do right now, but then again I never really disliked her.  I did enjoy her rather hammy antics in the begging though.  Once season 4 came around she became one of my favorites as well.

• Brohoof 3

My first impressions have not changed much. Pinkie became my favorite Mane 6 by showing a comic relief who is not incompetent and Fluttershy was my least favorite mostly because her cutesiness reminded me of previous gens. Fluttershy still is on the low end of of my Mane 6 spectrum but I could never hate her because of how much she's developed as a character.

Same with peripheral, Sweetie Belle is still my favorite, and Apple Bloom least but Apple Bloom's grown on me the more episodes tend to focus on her with a group.

• Brohoof 1

Pinkie and Flutters were my favorite characters because Flutters is adorable and Pinkie is hilarious! Spike became the most interesting character to me which is how he eventually became my favorite, but that doesn't mean I don't care about Pinkie or Flutters anymore!

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, Planetaria said:

When I was showing the first episodes of MLP to my friend it got me thinking about my first time watching them and my first impression of the Mane 6. 

Rarity is my favorite character of the Mane 6, but when I first watched the show I really thought of her as shallow:pout:, conceited :proud: and narcissistic :grin:. I really saw her in a bad light and it wasn't until the episode Suited For Success, that I started seeing her for the generous :rarity:, thoughtful :please:and sincere :D pony that she is. It was then that I started noticing her actions more than usual and fell in love with her. :wub:

So I want to know:

Which of the mane 6, or peripheral characters, made a bad first impression on you and when was it (if ever) did they change your opinion of them?

Are they one of, or your ultimate favorite now?

Do you think the writers did that character, or characters, an injustice by premiering them with a lack luster story or painted them in a lesser than greater light?  

For me it was Rarity and Rainbow Dash. I really hated Rarity at first. I thought she was cruel, mean, selfish, and never suffered consequnces for her actions. But after re watching a bunch of episodes she actually grew on me. And Rainbow Dash was just the generic cool guy charcter. At least up until the sonic rainboom episode. That was the fist indication that she wasn't all that. That she was still vulnerable and had anxitey about flying. Which sadly the show hasn't explored that aspect of Rainbow Dash that much. A little bit in the earlier seasons but not so much recentley. 

(edited)

Twilight and Rarity were my least favorite at first and Fluttershy my favorite. Now is Twilight my favorite, then comes Fluttershy and then Rarity.

I still don't like Pinkie and Rainbow that much and Apple Jack stays exectly where she was.

Edited by Hierok
  • Brohoof 1

I don't think I disliked anyone when I first started, though I wasn't a big fan of Rainbow Dash. Partly because back in season 1 her fans were really obnoxious and she was by far the most popular character, yet I never really connected with her that much.

Rarity has always been my most common pick for best pony, that's never changed. Fluttershy has really grown on me, she used to be one of my least favorites, but now ranks near the top. Pinkie Pie unfortunately has drifted ever further downwards, and is likely my least favorite now. Twilight wasn't a huge favorite of mine, but I've found her increasingly dull since she got her wings. Fortunately she's been really fun in Season 7, and I'm starting to like her much more (babies and Princesses bring out the best in her).

• Brohoof 2

15 minutes ago, Philweasel said:

I don't think I disliked anyone when I first started, though I wasn't a big fan of Rainbow Dash. Partly because back in season 1 her fans were really obnoxious and she was by far the most popular character, yet I never really connected with her that much.

Dashie was always to sure of herself if you ask me. The writers tried to hard to make her every ones favorite. :orly:

• Brohoof 1

I also thought Rarity was the prissy brat at first and I didn't like her that much, but she has grown to be my favorite pony. Fluttershy is the opposite, as I liked her a lot during the first season, but she has steadily been pushed down from the top by other ponies who have had better arcs in my opinion.