Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ponyville Mysteries series

Steve Piranha

Hey, I'm surprised no one around here has discussed these yet. It's a series of mystery stories starring the cuties when things start to go bonkers when a new filly named Lilymoon shows-up. I've started when reading them today since it was my first slow work day, and I've got hooked. Can't wait for the other two, as they release in October and January 

2 hours ago, Hierok said:

That sounds nice. Maybe I am gonna read it too, after I read 12 other books for my exam that is. ^_^

They're worth a read. The first two where released at the same day, but the rest will come in October and January. I also noticed a couple of things that I certainly approve, like Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon still have traces of pre-reform rich little bitches, and a filly who can't get spotlight due to meta reasons 

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm partway into the first book and I'm pleasantly surprised.  I mean, the books are clearly for the target audience, so I wasn't expecting to get that into them, but so far the first book has me invested.  I mean, Lilymoon sounds like a bad Sailor Moon OC, like if Minimoon had a sister or cousin or something.  That said, the Trotsylvania angle intrigues me, as does the mysterious air about her, along with sudden unexplained events happening now that she's in Ponyville, and her secret trips into the Everfree Forest.  Yeah, we can check off most of the red herring cliches with her.  

Judging by art for the next two books she's clearly here to stay too for this particular spinoff series.  I've always wondered what it would be like if a spinoff series introduced a recurring character who is not in the show.  I guess I'll have to read on to find out more about her.  Also, if Trotsylvania exists does that mean actual vampire ponies exist and not just that fruit bat BS the show force fed us?

• 1 month later...
On 9/25/2017 at 10:05 AM, Sky Shield said:

So I'm getting a Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys vibe from these...is the 8-11 recommended age accurate? Or would you say it's just as enjoyable for younger/older audience?

I think the age range is accurate, but if you like mystery stories with lots of red herrings and mysteries which don't get solved until the end, I think you'd enjoy it too. In fact, they are making a serious competition to the Daring Do books :D . Oh, and they also make character developments to the cuties, focusing primarily on one each book (or at least the first three :dash: . We have to wait for further releases to see if the trend sticks) 

On 9/25/2017 at 3:48 PM, AlbaTross said:

I'm partway into the first book and I'm pleasantly surprised.  I mean, the books are clearly for the target audience, so I wasn't expecting to get that into them, but so far the first book has me invested.  I mean, Lilymoon sounds like a bad Sailor Moon OC, like if Minimoon had a sister or cousin or something.  That said, the Trotsylvania angle intrigues me, as does the mysterious air about her, along with sudden unexplained events happening now that she's in Ponyville, and her secret trips into the Everfree Forest.  Yeah, we can check off most of the red herring cliches with her.  

Judging by art for the next two books she's clearly here to stay too for this particular spinoff series.  I've always wondered what it would be like if a spinoff series introduced a recurring character who is not in the show.  I guess I'll have to read on to find out more about her.  Also, if Trotsylvania exists does that mean actual vampire ponies exist and not just that fruit bat BS the show force fed us?

Josh Haber and Nicole Dubuc co-authored the book series, and the latter is a co- exec producer this upcoming season. GM Merrow introduced some familiar elements from her Daring Do books like Mrs Trotsworth in Daring Done, so we can hope for Lilymoon to at least make a background appearance.

Well, now we have three books on our plate, and I've loved them all so far. So unfortunate we have to wait until next year for the rest :dry: 

latest?cb=20170905194218

4.jpg519qRJLynuL._AC_UL320_SR218,320_.jpg

Looks like Journey to Livewood will be last one, as there's an unseen antagonist seeking something there. I wonder who might that be? She could be any of the Moon family, as her presence matches with the Moons' moving, but it might be another red herring, as these books LOVES them :D . Then again, One plus is giving unexpected characters some spotlight, and judging for the upcoming books' covers, that won't change  

I read the first two so far and I was pleasantly surprised at how good they were!  I like how the CMCs are branching out to solving mysteries.  While I never saw them as in their sisters’ shadows, I can see how they feel they are and it is nice to have books that get them out of those shadows. 

I need to get to the bookstore to read the third book!  Excited to see that more are coming next year!

Edited by tazmy

• 2 months later...

I'm finally getting back to reading this series and am now halfway through book two.  My impression is still the same: this series is way better than a mystery series starring the CMCs alongside an OC, and is clearly marketed towards the younger audience, has any right to be.  Then again, my impression of FiM in general has been fairly similar since I watched the first episode, so maybe I should just stop being surprised that anything FiM related can make for a fascinating story.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished reading the fourth book, and slept rather late when I wasn't supposed to :D . I didn't feel it was as good as the others, but I think it was because it's building-up to the final arc by revealing who are the antagonists, what they are after, and what role the cuties have to play 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm just over halfway into book 3 now.  There are a lot of fascinating things to unpack, like Scootaloo's aunts being an inter-racial lesbian couple and the fact that she's not even related to the Pegasus by blood.  It's the Earth Pony who's her dad's older sister.  Could Scootaloo be half Earth Pony?  No word on whether her dad is an Earth Pony as that's not necessarily true, but there's still a very good chance that there's Earth Pony blood in her even if he isn't.  So far the only confirmation of interracial relations in the series we've had (other than Cadance and Shining Armor) is that time Mrs. Cake cheated on Mr. Cake and birthed Pound and Pumpkin Cake.

I'm also really fascinated that this book actually makes the Olden Pony...kind of work as an intimidating antagonist.  Maybe it's just me but I never understood why an old mare looking for a rusty horseshoe is supposed to be scary.  Getting me invested in a story about her is a pretty tall order, but Penumbra Quill is succeeding so far.  

• Brohoof 1

On 2/23/2018 at 3:14 PM, AlbaTross said:

I'm just over halfway into book 3 now.  There are a lot of fascinating things to unpack, like Scootaloo's aunts being an inter-racial lesbian couple and the fact that she's not even related to the Pegasus by blood.  It's the Earth Pony who's her dad's older sister.  Could Scootaloo be half Earth Pony?  No word on whether her dad is an Earth Pony as that's not necessarily true, but there's still a very good chance that there's Earth Pony blood in her even if he isn't.  So far the only confirmation of interracial relations in the series we've had (other than Cadance and Shining Armor) is that time Mrs. Cake cheated on Mr. Cake and birthed Pound and Pumpkin Cake.

I'm also really fascinated that this book actually makes the Olden Pony...kind of work as an intimidating antagonist.  Maybe it's just me but I never understood why an old mare looking for a rusty horseshoe is supposed to be scary.  Getting me invested in a story about her is a pretty tall order, but Penumbra Quill is succeeding so far.  

The fourth book is kind of the weakest entry, but it does mark the a milestone in the story, like what's really hidden in the Livewood 

• 2 months later...