Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Other elements/virtues for the mane six? (legends of magic)

Unlikeable Pony

so Here's a question; the legends of magic in the show, while also exemplifying the EOH traits of the mane six, seemed to exemplify OTHER traits almost as much if not more as their primary virtues; Rockhoof was more about determination and hard work than Honesty (or honest... AT ALL), Mistmane was about inspiring others and bringing out the beauty/good in them just as much as generosity, and while laughter is supposed to represent hope for what pinkie taught twilight, they emphasized that much more than Laughter for somnambula. Likewise Flash was about courage just as much if not more than Loyalty.

Do you think its possible they might be trying to play up other virtues of the six for this season, and if so what do you expect for Fluttershy and Twilight? (Presuming they're meadowbrook and Starswirl)

7 hours ago, Unlikeable Pony said:

Do you think its possible they might be trying to play up other virtues of the six for this season, and if so what do you expect for Fluttershy and Twilight? (Presuming they're meadowbrook and Starswirl)

Or possibly they aren't even the same Elements.

Most of the forces we see in play in the modern Equestria are linked to the Tree of Harmony, and their Elements are the Elements of Harmony. However, there is no reason to link any of the Legends to those Elements, as it is a stretch to do so. 

Rockhoof is Determination or Commitment; I would say the latter, because ALL the Legendary Elements seem to have determination as a factor. Rockhoof had clearly already been determined, and already had his Cutie Mark, but only in expressing his Element did his true power unlock.

Flash could be Courage, then, and that would fit - but I think a better answer would be Honour, particularly if you take the comic into account. He is willing to risk everything, including his place in the Legion - because he knows it is the right thing to do.  But from another point of view, this too is Loyalty - loyalty to an ideal, to standards you set for yourself and which form a goal.

So, Mistmane? We seem to be mapping her to Rarity, due to the Campfire tales, and because her expression of compassion, combined with self sacrifice, was lauded as her Element in the nightmare moon challenges, despite not itself mapping well to Generosity... but after thinking about that, it does fit Generosity too - because what is the value of a gift that costs the giver nothing, or doesn't reflect an understanding of the needs of the recipient? So, I considered other virtues for this one - Devotion? Compassion? but considering both this tale and the comic, I can't find a good fit, so going to just leave this one for now. (suggestions welcome of course) but have a nagging feeling she fits Fluttershy better than Rarity.

And finally (so far) we have Somnambula. She clearly isn't Laughter, but Optimism (which of course is how Celestia describes Pinkie's talent while listing the traits of a princess) would fit, and we don't really have enough to go on with her to delve deeper.  Hope seems a poor fit, although Faith might work well (and be a bad pun in "leap of Faith" of course)

So, that leaves the two remaining Legends - Meadowbrook and Starswirl himself. I suspect Starswirl is NOT going to be Magic - because we have a famous mage in Meadowbrook - but Wisdom. That would be a poor fit for Twi, but she has thousands of years yet in which to learn :)

Edited by CypherHoof
  • Brohoof 1