Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight will become stronger than Celestia

hollow-shades

4 minutes ago, The Artist Formerly Known As A.V. said:

Hide contents

Not "easily," though; the POS was visibly struggling at first.

Spoiler

I rewatched it to make sure and from what I saw he wasn’t struggling to overpower Twilight at all after saying she was almost as strong as Starswirl and that even she is no match for the might of shadows. He just blasted a beam and Twilight couldn’t repel it anymore.

Edited by Peter16373

1 minute ago, Peter16373 said:
  Hide contents

I rewatched it to make sure and from what I saw he wasn’t struggling to overpower Twilight at all after saying she was almost as strong as Starswirl and that even she is no match for the might of shadows. He just blasted a beam and Twilight couldn’t repel it anymore.

Spoiler

Twilight did hold itoff , it didn't immediately overpower her beam, and Starlight would essentially be adding double the power, which was able to push back the beam on the Pony of Shadows, nothing there indicated Starlight is > Twilight when I watch it.

Just now, Ryanmahaffe said:
  Hide contents

Twilight did hold itoff , it didn't immediately overpower her beam, and Starlight would essentially be adding double the power, which was able to push back the beam on the Pony of Shadows, nothing there indicated Starlight is > Twilight when I watch it.

When did I ever say Starlight > Twilight in this scene? I just said able to fight Alicorns.

1 minute ago, Peter16373 said:

When did I ever say Starlight > Twilight in this scene? I just said able to fight Alicorns.

Oh my bad, I must have mistook you with someone else when reading the responses.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2017 at 5:51 AM, Ryanmahaffe said:

And when has Twilight ever proven herself in a fight, she wasn't able to best a unicorn and can't defeat any foe without her friends.

No, but she's given actual chances to fight, and she doesn't do so bad even if she doesn't win. She had a bunch of magic to go against Tirek, but even though she didn't win, she proved herself capable. Remember that she was struggling with the added power shortly before encountering him.

For Starlight, that was no regular unicorn. Though I don't think the writers even know her capabilities.

Twilight even fought a giant worm in season 4. Maybe she didn't beat it, but she didn't lose, and she got to put up a fight that lasted some amount of time.

Celestia meanwhile cowers inside at a corner. What fights has she gotten into in the show to display her "skills"? Chrysalis? Immediately beaten. Chrysalis's statement was there to lessen the loss, but it's a less impressive fight than between Starlight and Twilight. Nightmare Moon in the season 4 flashback? Celestia didn't want to fight, and she sent away Nightmare Moon with the Elements 2 minutes later.

On 10/10/2017 at 5:51 AM, Ryanmahaffe said:

Ignoring the obvious implication that Celestia must have defeated the villains in a few of the timelines is baseless.

What implication? The order of the villains' appearance throughout the show? That's the same episode that had Starlight messing with only one event in not overly fancy ways, and somehow different villains take over. And the time being like a river is a lazy explanation since they didn't try to get into it. The villain shown could've just as easily have been the first and already put Celestia in a corner.

Though would it really matter if Celestia did take care of other villains? She was still unsuccessful at sending away the ones shown in the alternate timelines, which already puts her below the Mane 6. I'm not saying Celestia had to be invincible, but the episode hardly convinced me of her amazing capabilities as a guardian of Equestria since there was always something (even something she beat in one timeline) that will get past whatever the hell she can do.

The point is I want to believe that Celestia is powerful and effective, but the show hasn't done well in supporting that idea.

Edited by Number62

On 9/28/2017 at 9:13 AM, Sunset Rose said:

This is something that irks me a lot about Starlight, actually. I don't understand how she could possibly have been more magically gifted than the element of magic. In terms of power, if you mean their magical abilities then I think eventually maybe Twilight could become gifted enough to surpass Celestia, but Celestia has been alive for a very long time and has eons worth of knowledge. Granted, I don't think I've ever seen Celestia use magic to do little more than shoot lasers at clouds and move the sun. (exaggeration, but there's not much variety in the abilities she's shown.) So over time, as she learns and refines I think Twilight could eventually become so much more knowledgeable than Celestia that her stature as a princess will feel more fitting. It's implied that being an alicorn is what can keep you alive as long as Celestia and Luna have been, so Twilight has the time she needs. She just needs the study, and that's what she's best at.

People are looking at the subject of power levels the wrong way. The length at which ponies have progressed in their studies isn't a good gauge for measuring their magical power, and neither is being an alicorn. It's about their potential. And like someone else had already pointed out, Twilight is not at her full potential by herself, and she's not supposed to be. Her magic is powered by friendship. Without her friends and the other elements backing them up, she's just a unicorn with wings. Starlight just happens to have a bigger drive at learning advanced spells than Twilight does, so it makes sense that she would outclass her individually. None of that really matters because no matter how much knowledge she absorbs, Starlight will never compare to the combined friendship magic controlled by the Mane Six when they're all together. And as the Season 4 finale has proven, neither can the royal sisters. Twilight's fine where she is.

Besides, Starswirl's a unicorn who's more gifted than Starlight and Twilight combined. I don't see nearly as many objections about him having more power than the element of magic.

4 hours ago, KillerKingBakudan said:

People are looking at the subject of power levels the wrong way. The length at which ponies have progressed in their studies isn't a good gauge for measuring their magical power, and neither is being an alicorn. It's about their potential. And like someone else had already pointed out, Twilight is not at her full potential by herself, and she's not supposed to be. Her magic is powered by friendship. Without her friends and the other elements backing them up, she's just a unicorn with wings. Starlight just happens to have a bigger drive at learning advanced spells than Twilight does, so it makes sense that she would outclass her individually. None of that really matters because no matter how much knowledge she absorbs, Starlight will never compare to the combined friendship magic controlled by the Mane Six when they're all together. And as the Season 4 finale has proven, neither can the royal sisters. Twilight's fine where she is.

I was very careful not to use the word 'power' since it didn't suit the question. I'm talking in terms of ability. Though the question is in power, like I said, with time who knows what could happen. 

4 hours ago, KillerKingBakudan said:

Besides, Starswirl's a unicorn who's more gifted than Starlight and Twilight combined. I don't see nearly as many objections about him having more power than the element of magic.

The pillar of sorcery is the equivalent of the element of magic. 

• 4 years later...