Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is "Open up your eyes" up there with "Be Prepared" from the lion king?

Azureth

I actually think it (Open Your Eyes) is better, because it has emotional weight attached to it as well, rather than just some declaration of evil alone. Be Prepared is pretty awesome, it is my favorite song from the Lion King after all, but Open Your Eyes has a better instrumental and tone to it. It is so good.^_^

• Brohoof 6

Yea I personally don't like Lion King and find it's attempts to be entertaining mundane, so "Open Up Your Eyes" is light years above any song from Lion King.

Except for "Hakuna Matata" still don't like the song, but I'll give credit where credit is do. But "Open Up Your Eyes" is still better.

im not sure you can even compare the two. they are about two completely different things. while they are both very good songs, one is a song about one brother planning to kill the other out of greed and jealousy, while the other is about how the antagonist's life was destroyed and why they are the way they are.

Edited by Jade Fire
  • Brohoof 4

My friend made this comparison, I make a note that poor unfortunate souls is better then be prepared.

But that being said, they are not comparable. Because BPP and PUS the characters are having FUN with it.

Open up yours eyes is a lament....

You want to compare it to a Disney Song? Hellfire... Compare it to Hellfire, and its pretty close over all.

Open up your eyes is calmer and more controlled. (A cold burn) But its still pretty powerful.

It's hands down my favourite song in the movie.  I don't even think the music in the film is that great by the show's standards...except this song.  This song is exactly the kind of amazing I was hoping for with the film's soundtrack.  Oh well, Daniel Ingram really nailed this one at least.  The vocals are great, the instruments are great.  Heck, even this instrumental piano cover is great: 

In fact, listening to it this way actually makes me appreciate the complexity of this track.  The piano may be the most versatile instrument there is, but it's just one instrument.  There are other instruments and the vocals to boot in the actual song.  Yet, it sounds sophisticated in this version, and the softer moments are even more noticeable in contrast to the more intense parts.  I'm not a music expert by any means mind you.  I just think this cover is kind of neat.

• Brohoof 2

On 10/17/2017 at 2:41 AM, Azul Maya said:

NO. It's good - but TLK music is God tier. :P

"God' teair Cue The plauge, from Prince of Eqypt :P The one time you get a Villan song about GOD lol

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, BlinkZ said:

"God' teair Cue The plauge, from Prince of Eqypt :P The one time you get a Villan song about GOD lol

It wasn't really a villain song tho, because the song is sung by the protagonist. :icwudt: 'Playing with the big Boys now' is the villain song in this movie.

Edited by Hierok

10 hours ago, Hierok said:

It wasn't really a villain song tho, because the song is sung by the protagonist. :icwudt: 'Playing with the big Boys now' is the villain song in this movie.

Oh yeah right, sitll love that villain song

• Brohoof 2

Open Up Your Eyes is way better than Be Prepared in my opinion. It has far more emotional impact and it's easily the best song in the movie. Be Prepared is nice but it's not even close to the best in Lion King, nor is is all that high in my rankings of Disney songs in general. When I hear Tempest singing that incredible song it fills me with so much emotion, from the song itself to the way it's presented in the movie. Scar's song doesn't pack much emotion; there's no pain, desperation or really even any hate in it. It's just sort of a matter-of-fact villain song. It's cool, but I'll stick with Tempest here.  

• Brohoof 3

I'll admit that "Be Prepared" is the better number on nearly all fronts, but Tempest's song could have pretty easily fit in to a Disney flick somewhere.  A little bit of tweaking on the lyrics and pacing and you could have had a true classic!  As it is, I still found it to be a fantastic song, easily my favorite MLP piece since "The Magic Inside".

• Brohoof 1

My lullaby>open up your eyes>be prepared

Be prepared has glorious animation and a lot going on. But Tempest's lines and Twilight's expressions and the music in open up your eyes still gives a bit more feel than be prepared.

My lullaby though from lion king 2 has so much power in the villains lust for revenge it just can't barely be beat as a villain song to me. She is nearly orgasmic in her fantasizing about revenge, its chilling and dramatic as all hell.

I adored Open Up Your Eyes, but not as much as Be Prepared. I put Hellfire above both though, if we are just focusing on villain songs. 

• Brohoof 6

2 minutes ago, Jeric said:

I adored Open Up Your Eyes, but not as much as Be Prepared. I put Hellfire above both though, if we are just focusing on villain songs. 

Hellfire will never be topped. Thats why i said my lullaby can barely be beat. Hellfire takes the crown for me.

• Brohoof 2

I felt more badly for Tempest during her song than I did for Scar during his song since,

Scar didn't have a reson to be evil besides jealousy, while Tempest felt bad because her friends abandonded her &

she felt like she didn't have anyone who cared about her.

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 2

Be Prepared is a far better song in my opinion. I did not think Tempest was quite an interesting villain nor was I particularly interested in her background story nor song. 

Sorry, but Be Prepared was much more prepared for success ;)

5 minutes ago, Jeric said:

And bucking agreed. You will find a hard time topping such a song. Sometimes I am still surprised that it was Disney of all companies who allowed that song to be made and presented in the film. Ah the good ol' days :umad:

2 minutes ago, Sunlight Swift said:

Thats why i said my lullaby can barely be beat

"That's my Lullaby" in Lion King 2 comes 2nd after Hellfire for me :wub: 

• Brohoof 1

On 10/22/2017 at 0:28 AM, BlinkZ said:

Oh man I love that song. 

On 10/22/2017 at 1:55 AM, Hierok said:

It’s song by both, the Pharaoh gets a part at the end. 

• Brohoof 1