Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

animation Disney Afternoon.

CastletonSnob

Anyone remember the Disney Afternoon? It was a block in the 80s and 90s that aired cartoons. It had such great shows as Ducktales, Chip and Dale: Rescue Rangers, and Darkwing Duck.

So, what are your memories of Disney Afternoon? What were your favorite cartoons?

• Brohoof 4

Okay, I didn't exactly grew up with the shows, but I did see them on reruns on Toon Disney in the late 90's.

Gargoyles and Darkwing Duck were my favorites.

• Brohoof 1

Gummi Bears, DuckTales, Rescue Rangers, TailSpin, and Darkwing Duck were definitely in my wheelhouse when I was younger. I actually remember the first airing of the first five episodes of DuckTales back in 1987. 

I was 10. 

:wau:

Anyway, I'm on record saying that Rescue Rangers was my fav. DuckTales a close second. The reboot is fucking amazing and is my favorite animated show in TV at the moment. 

• Brohoof 5

14 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Gummi Bears, DuckTales, Rescue Rangers, TailSpin, and Darkwing Duck were definitely in my wheelhouse when I was younger. I actually remember the first airing of the first five episodes of DuckTales back in 1987. 

I was 10. 

:wau:

Anyway, I'm on record saying that Rescue Rangers was my fav. DuckTales a close second. The reboot is fucking amazing and is my favorite animated show in TV at the moment. 

I think the reboot might be better than the original cartoon.

I've been getting more excited for new Ducktales episodes than new MLP episodes lately.

• Brohoof 1

I remember watching Rescue Rangers and Timon and Pumbaa as a kid, but I'm not sure if I watched the others. I can't remember much about Rescue Rangers, but the episodes I saw of Timon and Pumbaa were pretty funny.

• Brohoof 2

I was all about Darkwing Duck as a kid. Watched a little bit of Rescue Rangers and Goof Troop, but hardly remember much of them to be honest. Except the theme songs, which were all fantastic.

From what I remember, TaleSpin was a pretty good show, but the idea of Baloo from the Jungle Book becoming a cargo plane pilot and going on adventures seems a bit like a distant fever dream.

25 minutes ago, VG_Addict said:

I think the reboot might be better than the original cartoon.

I've been getting more excited for new Ducktales episodes than new MLP episodes lately.

I just started watching and it's kind of fantastic. I didn't watch much TV while I was younger, my parents would just get a few movies on cheap that we would rewatch because kids do that, so there's basically like a handful of taped Duck Tales episodes I remember.

In general, I think kids cartoons are much better these days because they focus more on characters before the adventure/action elements. I watched a couple of the old episodes, and while the writing isn't bad even in the start, it's kind of hard to care about the triplets as characters when they're so identical.

That aside, I just found out this existed and I have to check it out and possibly die from a terminal case of the 90s:

1 minute ago, Ivan The Adorable said:

I was all about Darkwing Duck as a kid. Watched a little bit of Rescue Rangers and Goof Troop, but hardly remember much of them to be honest. Except the theme songs, which were all fantastic.

From what I remember, TaleSpin was a pretty good show, but the idea of Baloo from the Jungle Book becoming a cargo plane pilot and going on adventures seems a bit like a distant fever dream.

I just started watching and it's kind of fantastic. I didn't watch much TV while I was younger, my parents would just get a few movies on cheap that we would rewatch because kids do that, so there's basically like a handful of taped Duck Tales episodes I remember.

In general, I think kids cartoons are much better these days because they focus more on characters before the adventure/action elements. I watched a couple of the old episodes, and while the writing isn't bad even in the start, it's kind of hard to care about the triplets as characters when they're so identical.

That aside, I just found out this existed and I have to check it out and possibly die from a terminal case of the 90s:

I think this is just due to how far writing for cartoons has come since Ducktales premiered. As good as the original cartoon was, the characters in it didn't exactly have a ton of depth. Webby in particular was just the token girl character. Cartoons today put more emphasis on character development. 

Also, both Quack Pack and the new Ducktales try to give Huey, Dewey and Louie different personalities and put Donald in the role of a single father. 

1 hour ago, VG_Addict said:

I think this is just due to how far writing for cartoons has come since Ducktales premiered. As good as the original cartoon was, the characters in it didn't exactly have a ton of depth. Webby in particular was just the token girl character. Cartoons today put more emphasis on character development. 

Also, both Quack Pack and the new Ducktales try to give Huey, Dewey and Louie different personalities and put Donald in the role of a single father. 

I've decided that Quack Pack is basically trying to be Animaniacs, but it stretches a single 5-10 minute bit to 20. It's odd. Even though they gave the triplets different outfits, specialties, voice actors, etc. they still largely feel like the same character.

You can kind of look through the strata in TV animation if you look at the phases broadly, staggered depending on studio. DuckTales and the rest of the Disney afternoon shows kind of reached the peak of what the early model of TV cartoons were expected to do. They tell adventure stories really well. And then the 90s happened and Disney had no idea how to catch the wave anymore when more absurdist toons took the helm.

Edited by Ivan The Adorable

I absolutely LOVE Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers! I didn't catch up with these shows till I was older because I was still in a bassinet at the time they were on TV, but once I was old enough to use a VCR I watched them into the ground. I like DuckTales as well but not as much as RR. Gummi Bears sometimes flirted with greatness but ultimately fell short of my favorites list. 

I remember liking Bonkers okay but always felt they were just trying to make another Roger Rabbit. If they'd have actually made an official Roger Rabbit TV show, without the costly live action integration, that would have rocked my world!  

• 5 years later...

Yep, a definite favorite of mine.  Best still being Gummi Bears, DuckTales (and it's 2017 series), DuckTales, TaleSpin, Darkwing Duck, Aladdin and Gargoyles.

I did enjoy Goof Troops, Bonkers and even Quack Pack to a point.

Also if any of you purchases comics every now and then, both Gargoyles and Darkwing Duck have been revived in comic form courtesy of Dynamite.  Gargoyles even has a spinoff in mini form based of Weisman's planned Dark Ages exploring their days in ancient Scotland when the clan had many more members and Wyvern was first constructed.

Even a collection of the old Disney Afternoon comics "Disney Afternoon Adventures".