Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

(Poll) What do you think of Starlight Glimmer after Season 7?

ShootingStar159

Starlight after Season 7  

59 users have voted

1. 1. What is your overall opinion on Starlight after Season 7?

• Love Her
    • Like Her
    • Neutral
    • Dislike Her
    • Hate Her
  2. 2. What was your opinion of Starlight after Season 5?

• Loved Her
    • Liked Her
    • Neutral
    • Disliked Her
    • Hated Her
  3. 3. What did you think of her backstory after Season 5?

• It was Great/Fine/Good enough
    • It was weak, but made sense for her character
    • It was weak, but didn’t effect my opinion of her
    • It was weak, and made me think less of her character
  4. 4. With what we’ve learned about her past and personality, what do you think of her backstory after Season 7?

• It’s Great/Fine/Good enough
    • It’s weak, but makes sense for her character
    • It’s weak, but doesn’t effect my opinion of her character
    • It’s weak, and makes me think less of her character
  5. 5. What is your opinion of Starlight’s episodes?

• All Good
    • Mostly Good
    • Mixed Opinion
    • Mostly Bad
    • All Bad
  6. 6. Has your opinion of her changed since she was added to the main cast?

• Yes, it’s more positive
    • Yes, it’s more negative
    • No, it’s always been positive
    • No, it’s always been negative
  7. 7. What do you think Starlight’s role will be in the future?

• Status Quo (Twilight’s Friend/Student)
    • Friendship/Magic teacher
    • Friendship Ambassador
    • Seventh Element of Harmony
    • Alicorn Princess
    • No opinion
    • Other

16 minutes ago, MegaSean45 said:

* Love her

* Like her

* It was great, fair enough!

* Ditto

* Mostly good

* No, always positive

* Friendship teacher definitely suits her! Friendship ambassador position belongs to Spike! ;)

If anything, I hope Starlight gets her own student, like how she was the student of Twilight Sparkle.

1 hour ago, Chrysalis13 said:

I was going to say that role will increase in the future but looking at the Cowboys and Dak this year, that may not be the case.

philadelphia_eagles_my_little_pony_by_pi

Sorry, I couldn't resist. 

10 minutes ago, ShootingStar159 said:

Pinkie Pie is also a friendship ambassador, to the yaks.

Aye, confirmed in the show that Pinkie was the first Friendship Ambassador since it wasn't a title until Pinkie got Twilight to create it. 

• Brohoof 1

Starlight has grown and learned a lot about herself and of her friends since becoming Twilight's student. It's amazing to see her change and transformed into an confident and expressive pony who once left a life of control and fear to eventually become a pony who can understand, feel and share herself to her freinds due to how friendships can work. 

• Brohoof 1

14 hours ago, BlinkZ said:

I have to argue with those that say she just a copy of Twilight. She her own personality and the like.  Sure she has a tendency to use magic a lot, but hey so did Twilight at first(run away snow plow ?)  People wonder why she doesn't use her manipulation skills anymrore. well maybe because it a BAD thing? since when it manipulation a good trait to have?

Although is kind of annoying when she goes "I ran a cult once' and can solve any issue she comes across

her manipulative, ruthless nature is still there. like she snapping Pink's cowbell during RSF and her speech during To Change a Changeling, she literally tried to manipulate Spike during The Crystalling as well. she just doesn't use her nature in villanious way anymore.

The Path To Starlight Fandom 3: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Glim

Season 7 part 1

"Well she practically created her own Mane Six. Sunburst, Discord, Thorax, and Trixie. She needs a fifth."

"Yeah, I'm not sure you are ready yet either girl. We saw what happened when they made Anakin a Knight too early. If you fall in love with Trixie, and fall under the influence of the Sith Lord Tom the Rock ... RIP Equestria."

"TRIXIE! DO THAT THING WITH THE WAVING STARLIGHT'S ARMS AGAIN! THAT WAS CUTE ENOUGH TO FILL A WHOLE EPISODE!!!"

"Magic triggered by emotion? Feeling rejected makes you go all Cult Queen? Girl ... you may want to think about bottling that anger there. That's some potent Unicorn mojo! It's like steroids for unicorns. Wait. Is this why Rarity drama's out all the time? Is this why Twilight panics? OMG Magic is Neurotic!"

"Glimmer! You got it all wrong. You should be more pissed that Trixie ain't sharing her delicious snacks. That's cinnamon! Make her share her snacks before you go all dark and twisty and do something crazy and swap cutie marks"

"OMG Maud! You are going to be friends with Maud! Wait ... you just formed the backup Mane Six!"

"Kites? Ok ... fuck it. You win ... I like you now. Game over man game over."

"Your bed flop ... I feel you. This is me when ever I try and explain life to my cat. My cat just doesn't understand deep philosophy." 

1. What is your overall opinion on Starlight after Season 7?

Great character, I like how she is constantly learning to socialize better, yet still shows some issues caused by having grown without friends.

2&3. What was your opinion of Starlight after Season 5? & What did you think of her backstory after Season 5?

First of all, I must say that I started watching FiM while season 6 was still coming out, when I reached season 5's finale I watched it together with season 6's premiere.
I found Starlight to be an awesome villain because of her manipulation, preparation skills and ability to adapt to Twilight's attacks and counters. I loved Twilight's resolution to offer Starlight the friendship path when she realized it was the right call to strengthen Equestria. I found Starlight's motivation scene to be short and hasted, but she also explained Twilight that she decided to not befriend anypony else after that moment. It made sense to me that even if her initial motivation was weak, the consequences of growing up friendless were enough for her to pursue an utopian dream without strong morals, which led to her villanous actions in the village and her pursue for revenge on Twilight.

4. With what we’ve learned about her past and personality, what do you think of her backstory after Season 7?

I think her backstory has some blanks that can be deduced in a broad sense but with enough room to be explored in later seasons (I'm thinking about Starlight's parents and her cutie mark story). Otherwise, I like it to be kept open to interpretation, it's fun to wonder about it and read the different fan theories.

5. What is your opinion of Starlight’s episodes?

I love most of them, with the huge absense of friendship and morals during her youth she's able to provide stories that would not fit any of the mane 6, such as befriending Trixie (almost instantly), messing up during Twilight's lessons, regaining confidence as a leader after her past mistakes, understanding Maud and empathizing with misguided characters such as Pharynx and Stygian.

6. Has your opinion of her changed since she was added to the main cast?

It has improved, at first I found her to be interesting, then likable and now lovable. But I never had a bad opinion of her character.

7. What do you think Starlight’s role will be in the future?

I only hope they won't make her an alicorn, I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with anything else the show may give us with Starlight.

All right, it’s been a few days now, so I wanted to give my thoughts on the poll results, though I would have liked more than 50 votes to give a better sample size. That said, the percentages here are actually in line with other, larger polls I’ve seen, mostly on EQD that I think this is more or less an accurate picture of the fanbases thought on Glimmy. For proof, the EQD poll after season six:

CEED63A5-235F-458F-B8CC-B92A5DC88256.thumb.jpeg.4417d8244135c861083f4b8f07a2e724.jpeg

As you can see, the love percents pretty much match up, and the more negative percents are close enough for a margin of error to account for.

The real surprise here is the utter lack of neutral votes (watch as soon as I post this, a bunch of people answer as neutral). Maybe everyone with a neutral opinion didn’t even feel like taking the poll? Either that, or Starlight has finally had enough screen time for people to make up there’s minds on her.

Bottomline for me is, while fifty votes isn’t much of a sample size, it’s enough for me to take the numbers and answers here seriously. If you don’t want to, feel free to discount anything I say here.

E5E9E566-7CBF-43DB-AC24-0F3A4E203AB2.thumb.jpeg.9ed08980af11edeafc73896ef330f742.jpeg

So the first thing I take away here, is that Starlight was never as widely hated as some people liked/wanted to believe. I took a two season hiatus from the show after season four, and only recently caught up after seeing the fan animation for Lullaby for a Princess, one of my favorite fandom songs. I decided to see what the show was like in season five and right away, Starlight’s amazing performance as the season five villain drew me back in.

I pretty much ignored the fandom while I caught up, largely because when I dipped my toe in I saw what I suspected was the CMC’s Cutie marks(it was :( ), and bailed before anything else got spoiled for me. So imagine my shock when I finished catching up that there was a very, very, loud amount of hate for her character. People were saying things like ‘half the fandom hates her’ and I found that really hard to believe. It didn’t take very long for me to notice that it was almost always the same dozen or so people all bashing her everywhere I went, and I started to suspect that the hate for her was just an obnoxiously loud minority, and polls like the EQD one I posted above reinforced my belief. It’s nice to know that there is a large silently majority that loves her character. It really shouldn’t surprise anyone though, the MLP fandom as a whole has always been pretty positive. Go and look at the poll results here. Even episodes you never hear praise for have a very large amount of positive votes.

Anyways, really got off track there, it looks like pretty much everyone who liked her after season five now loves her, and everyone who was neutral, and a few who didn’t like her, now do. That is an impressive turnaround in only two seasons.

4D96121C-3350-4281-AAAA-F224BC0C7071.thumb.jpeg.42d44a46e4de7ee0ed74ecda291cf0a7.jpeg

Moving onto her backstory... yeah, not at all surprised, half the fandom still think it’s weak. I was surprised to see the ‘makes sense for her character’ option actually lose votes, but I guess most people who thought that way eventually decided her backstory was fine.

What’s really interesting is that number of people who thought it hurt Starlights character was cut by more than half, and the amount who thought it was fine almost doubled. I guess once people got to know her character better, her backstory started to make sense to them.

2147AE91-D969-4A1D-8E10-0EC154B89953.thumb.jpeg.3f0b998a7eadb3555a4cf2d84f4ad251.jpeg

So, yeah, not much of a surprise here. Starlight episodes have been pretty well received, especially in season seven. With that in mind, it’s no surprise her popularity has grown so fast, with 58% saying they’re more positive about her character. I am surprised by how many people think she hasn’t had a bad episode yet, though.

66A2D48F-91F5-426D-AB48-02E68DB4FAD1.thumb.jpeg.febcf6a084f39d4cf40d4876828aa812.jpeg

I’m surprised by how many think the status quo is going to continue for Starlight, but really, it’s all speculation at this point. I feel they will go the seventh element path, to fully integrate her into the main cast and give her journey a more defined end goal, and element of harmony is way more enjoyable than Alicorn Princess. But to each their own.

And lastly, to finish, I’d like to post the current results of EQD’s weekly poll, “Who was the best main character of Season Seven?”

3B8D71C2-6069-418A-AEF9-708BCE7A51B9.thumb.jpeg.53f310cf386ca214728620cf9ba623f9.jpeg

48%? Really? I think she was the best as well, but that’s almost three times as many votes as second place.