Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Opentoonz: A 2d animation software that Pony animators should consider

Plonkett

https://opentoonz.github.io/e/index.html

Just imagine an animation software that's similar to Flash and Toon Boom Harmony, but is instead free and open source just like Blender. That's what this basically is, and it's a pretty powerful tool. It can do both puppet rigging and frame by frame. I feel that this would be a great alternative for people in the fandom who are on a budget and can't afford the other two I mentioned. It's to 2d as Blender is to 3d.

• Brohoof 1

i feel happy reading this.

more people and even the animation industry should consider using this software over adobe animate/flash

i also like to compare it to gimp, af gimp is to photoshop

however, since he has as many features as toonboom, he is another scary tool wich will drive newbies away.
it will take ahile to lear to use O P E N T O O N Z, but if you do, it will be rewarding.

he is capable of holding a pony puppet like you see on adobe's, but you will have more tools to fiddle with it.
compared to toonboom's deformer tool, opentoonz haves the "plastic tool" wich looks more like after effects's puppet tool for animation

but unlikely toonboom, opentoonz deals with both, vector and bitmap, you can animate bitmaps with the plastic tool, but not in toonboom's deformer tool

Yeah plus maybe this could possibly be a really good alternative animation program that the MLP animation team could use to as they could make everything in the show look exactly the same as flash animation with Opentoonz. It would save a lot of money on the show's budget to as it costs them a few thousand dollars a month to use flash. :)

the main point of Opentoonz compared to adobe animate, is that opentoonz uses your PC hardware MUCH more efficiently than adobe animate.
this means that when you play the animation in the program itself, you will get a much more stable FPS in preview

a good move to kickstart pony animators to start using it, is to make a pony puppet for it

Just now, Techno Universal said:

the MLP animation team could use. It would save a lot of money on the show's budget to as it costs them a few thousand dollars a month to use flash. :)

i once asked a profissional on the art industry if they use GIMP wich is opensource
that person said that "no one uses, its all adobe around here"

soo, unless perhaps there is use of blender in the profissional world, its likely there will not be Opentoonz either

@age3rcm

Yeah like honestly the majority of award winning short film animation projects have actually been made with Blender and a lot of them are independently made by a single university student in a time span of up to two years. So they literally might be working on a short animated film in blender independently for two years non stop as a part of their university course in animation. Though really they would probably use Opentoonz in the MLP animation studio if they did a crowd funded side series that was largely inspired by the fandom for a lot of things in the show. :) 

Edited by Techno Universal

(edited)

Fun fact: This program was used to animate movies like Balto, Anastasia, and certain movies like Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle, as well as shows like Futurama and Steven Universe back when it was just called Toonz. It wasn't until two years ago when it finally became open sourced.

Still, would be nice for this program to be able to import 3d objects and environments, and make complex rigs. If someone would make good pony puppets with this software then it will be easier for more animators to get into animation without having to spend a dime.

As for it not being used by the industry, there was actually a film done with it. https://morevnaproject.org/pl/2017/07/22/7620/

Edited by vgmaster9

@Superplay64

i would advise you to invest on it.
know that if you do, you will open paths for the small 2d animation comunity on tthe fandom.

you have DHX leaked puppets to learn from, use the knowledge to build a new puppet in opentoonz.
and by your project, if you choose to use it instead, you will be creating new opentoonz users

(edited)
On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 12:30 AM, Superplay64 said:

I wonder if I should use this instead of Flash for my FiM Fan Episode Project... :ooh:

At the same time, new puppets would have to be built from scratch. :unsure::scoots:

Not just for puppets, but it would also be great for people to perform frame by frame animation on it. From what I hear, the fbf tools are just as strong as the likes of Harmony.

Edited by vgmaster9

• 6 months later...

i am venturing myself with opentoonz.

and boy... how much i am whinning!

unlike the animation posted on the previous, i am going full on vector mode (the artist drew every frame).

that is, i am discovering ways to implement adobe animate and toonboom similarities in workflow to suit it better myself

if all goes well, there will be an open-source pointy ponies puppet available to the public!

• Brohoof 2