Would you oppose the idea of Twilight making the ultimate sacrifice in the grand finale?

SaburoDaimando

No, I don't watch this show to see main characters die, I love watching obstacles face them and they overcome it together, there are some "safe deaths" they could probably do, but I don't really want that at all.

Yes I would.  I don't really think it would work very well with how Twilight's story and character arc has progressed over the course of the series.  However I could possibly see it working if it was Celestia who made the ultimate sacrifice in the grand finale and she ended up passing the torch to Twilight as her successor as a way to conclude the series.

Edited by cmarston1

I'd oppose it, not only because Twi's probably my favorite, but also because it just goes completely against the happy, optimistic tone of the series. Tragic, sad, or Bittersweet endings have their place in media, but so do happy endings, and I think the happy ending is the far more fitting one for this show. I'd hate to have such a downer ending for a series that's always made me so happy, more than anything.

You can't expect these kinds of sacrifices in a show like FiM. At most, she may sacrifice her magic permanently, or reverting to an unicorn (but even those are a stretch). But while I DO see her sacrificing her life if necessary, the writers won't give her the chance >_>

I would actually like the idea of that, I've always loved ultimate sacrifices in games, movies, TV, etc. It would be a great way to end the series off seeing as Twilight was the original main character in the very first episode. Though knowing Hasbro, I highly doubt the sacrifice would result in her death. Regardless a hard sacrifice of any kind would be nice.

12 hours ago, donttellmum said:

That  rarity emoji gave that first line of dialogue so much sass 

Dude, finish the show, ASAP. Man, you should leave the forum until you're at least S6, spoilers galore 'round here :lol: 

• Brohoof 1

Oh good question. I will reuse the reference I have used before. Twilight sacrifices herself and Applejack gives the eulogy.

"Of all the souls I've encountered in my travels, hers was the most....pony."

It would not fit with the tone of the show, and we already had a fake out in the movie.

I think Twilight given some important task that has her leave her current life in Ponyville is good enough since the Mane 5 have obligations making them stay in Ponyville. Something like she's traveling to the other lands outside of Equestria to spread the magic of friendship and it will be a long time.

This seems very unlikely, but I guess it would depend on how it’s pulled off. However, that seems very out of step with what most of the series aims for, so I can’t help but imagine it’d be jarring and needlessly depressing. I don’t think this show would gain anything from doubling down on intense drama. 

• Brohoof 1

12 minutes ago, ShiftyLips69 said:

Not her life... But her losing her wings would be the greatest thing to ever happen to the show.

Okay, we get it - three posts in three threads - you don't like alicorn Twilight. But now that something wonderful has happened/will happen I don't ever want to see her lose her wings. Lots of new story potential!

Just now, Truffles said:

Okay, we get it - three posts in three threads - you don't like alicorn Twilight. But now that something wonderful has happened/will happen I don't ever want to see her lose her wings. Lots of new story potential!

I got carried away with hating alicorn Twilight.

On 1/25/2018 at 1:11 PM, WWolf said:

That emote is Maud Pie :nom: .

Thank you. I did a spit take when I read that comment. 

Anyway, back on topic. Having her give up something important to her to save others and have it be returned is acceptable, if not overly predictable. Maybe her magic. Maybe have her power object 'A' grant her power to defeat the big bad, but also grant her immortality, knowing she will not grow old with her friends. Then *poof* organic reset achieved that was hinted at the beginning (so it's not a DeM)

:eww: As I've seen people say and agree that this show is too positive for something like that. I personally definitely don't want Friendship is Magic to end yet, I'm just not ready for that. It sucks that such a thing is out of my power but as long as the show goes out with a big Grand Finale, like it deserves, I'll be happy. :wub:

I'd be rooting for her with the largest megaphone bits could buy

Clear the way for a new more interesting generation of ponies/yaks/changelings/griffons/seaponies/dragons/etc

Spice it up a bit for once; it may be "My Little Pony" but ponies are the most boring characters in the show

On 1/27/2018 at 5:05 PM, Truffles said:

Well, it makes way more sense for her to lose her wings rather than her life :dash: . I still see that very unlikely to happen however >_>

2 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Well, it makes way more sense for her to lose her wings rather than her life :dash: . I still see that very unlikely to happen however >_>

I guess I could see her losing her wings as a possibility (an unlikely one as you say) as a sacrifice in the series finale. I just wouldn't like it very much due to recent events. :)