Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you oppose the idea of Twilight making the ultimate sacrifice in the grand finale?

SaburoDaimando

I'm not going to have a poll on this, as I would rather have the exact words of those who replied.

Imagine in the grand finale, Twilight Sparkle was forced to make the ultimate sacrifice to save Equestria.  She succeeds, but at the cost of her life.  How would you feel if that happened, that a series that has lasted this long about the magic of friendship, closes out with the sacrifice of Twilight Sparkle to save the future of everyone, even the antagonist of the finale?

• Brohoof 1

Yes I would be opposed since it doesn't fit the general tone of the series. This is Twilight afterall. Maybe if you were talking about Celestia, possibly. 

• Brohoof 12

Even though I would want the show to go out with a huge boom, I want something positive, a final great hurrah from the series. Not a death, not something really negative, nothing like that. A main appeal to this show is its positivity and it should go out on that same note.

• Brohoof 11

Nope.

1. I'm too attached to the character. Even if she were to save Equestria, I do admit that I would be upset.

2. It's just not in the show's nature to kill off a protagonist. Too much positivity. Too much optimism. I can't imagine the show ending on a bittersweet note. Save it for the fan works.

• Brohoof 12

It really depends on the sacrifice. Her life? No thanks.

Her magic, or something else as valuable to her? Maybe that could work.

Honestly, I feel like there are better characters to make that kind of sacrifice, namely all the reformed villains looking to make up for the wrongs they’ve done. Discord, especially, comes to mind.

• Brohoof 5

Definitely not Twilight since she is pretty much the main character of the mane six......you couldn't get any more main than that!

So it wouldn't feel right....it would leave the show on a sad note and would make a lot of Twi fans extremely depressed.

• Brohoof 4

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about sacrifices in shows! But for this show? I don't think that could happen. Unless, of course, it was for a second, and then a different character like Starlight would save her life, and they all live happily ever after! Hey at least that would build some suspense! 

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, ShootingStar159 said:

That's more like it. Maybe have her lose her horn like Tempest Shadow did. That wouldn't be anywhere near as much of a downer. Let her live out the rest of her days.

• Brohoof 6

Come on, its a kids show, Hasbro wouldn't do such a thing like that.

Not to mention all of the Bronie backlash

IMO Twilight is one of the best in the whole series

So yes hugely opposed

I would rather a show run at poor quality than not run at all

*cough*spongebob*cough*

Edited by donttellmum
  • Brohoof 1

Okay, so I'm the oddball as usual. I think that could play out nicely, but sadly, I doubt Hasbro would do that. :(

Dear Anonymous User,

:adorkable: STOP TRYING TO KILL ME!!! - Twilight Sparkle

But Twilight, it'd work out so well!

User,

You. Are. A. PSYCHOPATH!!! -Twilight Sparkle

Please Twily, tell me something I DONT know

Anyways yeah, I'm mega uber sorry but I'd love to see Twily die. It would just work

I doubt Hasbro would allow the staff to have Twilight sacrifice herself even if it would be for a greater cause. Remember that MLP is geared towards a specific age group and despite the staff being able to include references that appeal to adults, ultimately, they have to conform to this group which means no characters can die--I am aware of the whole King Sombra blowing up bit in season three though the comics revived him.

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, CrystalBloodMoon said:

Okay, so I'm the oddball as usual. I think that could play out nicely, but sadly, I doubt Hasbro would do that. :(

Dear Anonymous User,

:adorkable: STOP TRYING TO KILL ME!!! - Twilight Sparkle

But Twilight, it'd work out so well!

User,

You. Are. A. PSYCHOPATH!!! -Twilight Sparkle

Please Twily, tell me something I DONT know

Anyways yeah, I'm mega uber sorry but I'd love to see Twily die. It would just work

You are indeed odd

Just now, Ganondorf8 said:

I doubt Hasbro would allow the staff to have Twilight sacrifice herself even if it would be for a greater cause. Remember that MLP is geared towards a specific age group and despite the staff being able to include references that appeal to adults, ultimately, they have to conform to this group which means no characters can die--I am aware of the whole King Sombra blowing up bit in season three though the comics revived him.

Right when I get to season 3 you spoil it

Jk I don' mind spoilers

Also who would kill off Twilight

47 minutes ago, ShootingStar159 said:

That made me think of what else she could lose. Her alicorn status which would end up with her as a regular unicorn again.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, SkyPie said:

That made me think of what else she could lose. Her alicorn status which would end up with her as a regular unicorn again.

Or they could just pull a Gravity Falls on us and do something like that but them return the thing she lost

• Brohoof 2

Similar scenarios have been discussed before, this would never happen :maud: .

:wacko: 

Oh I didn't answer the question! I guess I do oppose it I guess :wacko: 

Edited by WWolf
  • Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, WWolf said:

Similar scenarios have been discussed before, this would never happen :maud: .

:wacko: 

Oh I didn't answer the question! I guess I do oppose it I guess :wacko: 

That  rarity emoji gave that first line of dialogue so much sass 

You know, normally I'm all for that kind of thing. In this case though I really don't think it works. See, in Avatar, Aang was willing to risk his very soul to safely neutralize Ozai. As energybending Ozai actually put Aang at more risk than simply killing him would have. In that though, it made sense. The show is named after what he is and the requirements of that vocation make up most of the themes for both it, him, and the sequel series. So Aang putting himself in a position where he would die or worse in order to save the world from a madman fits not only his character but the spirit of the show.

To have Twilight sacrifice herself would actually go against the show's core message. Not that saving your friends at the cost of yourself isn't noble, but it really doesn't have much to do with who Twilight is and what the core of the show is about. Twilight started the show already perfectly willing to go to any lengths to save Equestria. She was so convinced of her own intelligence and capability that she didn't want to share that responsibility with others. One could call that noble in of itself, self-reliance, not wanting to put others in harms way, etc. On the other hoof, it could also smack of pride. That Twilight wanted to take the world upon her shoulders because she was convinced only she could do so. It's an odd and not totally good or bad starting point. What Twilight needed to learn was that not only is the world better looked after when you have friends who are genuinely invested in you as a person, your life is better and that makes you even more capable.

So to have her pay the ultimate price to save the world would almost be like saying that nine seasons of character development and she was right from the very start. That it IS better to take the world upon your shoulders alone. Kind of defeats . . . the entire preceding show doesn't it?

• Brohoof 4

If they were going to go that route, I think it would be more likely that it would be a Power Rangers in Space-esque situation where it would be Celestia that sacrificed herself.  But like people have said, it probably wouldn't ever happen, because Hasbro would never have the guts to take the show in that kind of direction.

As for how I'd feel, that's hard to say.  If it was done well and there was a really good reason for it, I would probably be alright with it.  But it would really have to be something huge that would cause that kind of sacrifice to be necessary.

Edited by SBaby

Well on TV Tropes, this was a WMG for the 2017 movie. It involved Twilight destroying a mothership by flying into it and emptying all her magic into its core at point-blank range to cause a chain reaction that destroys the whole mothership (Independence Day). At least that sacrifice wasn't fatal, for Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy saved the exhausted Twilight from falling to her death shortly afterwards.

2 hours ago, donttellmum said:

That  rarity emoji gave that first line of dialogue so much sass 

Wasn't Rarity. I suppose if you only just started season 3 you don't know who that is, so I won't spoil anything

I would oppose killing off Twilight (or any of the characters, really) as a way of generating tears and drama in a series finale. It's cheap and creatively bankrupt way to do it, and is unnecessary since there will be enough emotional currency as it is with the characters wrapping their stories up.

Plus that would leave Spike without his closest partner, and that's just not something I want to see him go through for a long time.