Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The WPCC Lounge

PinkieShadow

2 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

Well, the pizza was nice, but there were some unexpectedly "hot" bits - I don't recall chilli peppers being on the ingredient list.

Would you add a whole pineapple to a pizza? Or a whole potato?

1 minute ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

Would you add a whole pineapple to a pizza? Or a whole potato?

I think there is a special circle of tartarus reserved for those who put pinapple or sweetcorn on a perfectly good pizza.

Not sure anyone has put potato on one (although I have seen french fries and/or donner kebab meat added on top of one as a "combo")

Edited by CypherHoof

1 hour ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

Oh, like teriyaki? If someone made a teriyaki pizza, then pineapple could work there.

Pineapple works without teriyaki. But also I forgot what a teriyaki even is. Maybe you can remind me

3 hours ago, Olly said:

Sounds like a japanese word

It is a lot like bbq sauce - basically, soy sauce and ginger mixed with enough sugar to make a glaze for meat.

teriyaki chicken works well on a pizza, but so does tandori chicken, bbq chicken, jerk chicken... basically chicken is bland enough on its own that adding more flavour is welcome.

Pinapple is one of those holy war things really - some people point out that pinapple and gammon is a classic pairing for meals, so ham and pinapple should work on a pizza. The problem there is that normally you have a small amount of pinapple to a large amount of gammon, and the almost equal balance on a pizza means it is far, far too sweet - its like putting a sugar cube on there. Things like cherry tomatoes (which are still sweet, but not AS sweet) work better, and then there is the effect pinapple juice has on things like cheese and other common toppings.

Seen some kids pizza with actual apple on there too - which still ain't right.

1 hour ago, Longhaul said:

I think I'm too late for the pizza, so I'll just see about a coffee.

Bit early for pizza here now too - but I always have plenty of coffee :)

1 hour ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

I kinda wish I can get back into art... Wintest quartest is killing me...

I have no idea what that means. But you should always set aside some time each day for art - getting good at art takes regular practice

1 minute ago, CypherHoof said:

Bit early for pizza here now too - but I always have plenty of coffee :)

I have no idea what that means. But you should always set aside some time each day for art - getting good at art takes regular practice

I actually got pizza, then someone offered pizza.

Oh, and any word that ends with -er, replace the -er with -est; for example, faster becomes fastest, better becomes bettest, blender becomes blendest, and linger becomes lingest. Silverstream would become Silveststream because her name's a compound word.

(Photoshop still eludes me...)

9 hours ago, Olly said:

I don't get the hate. Everyone knows sweet and savory is a good combination 

I think because they don't "look" like they should go together, you know?

11 minutes ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

I actually got pizza, then someone offered pizza.

Oh, and any word that ends with -er, replace the -er with -est; for example, faster becomes fastest, better becomes bettest, blender becomes blendest, and linger becomes lingest. Silverstream would become Silveststream because her name's a compound word.

(Photoshop still eludes me...)

I could never get into photoshop, although I know it is the "expected" tool in design agencies. Seriously, Adobe are the Apple of the design market.

Paint Shop Pro was always cheaper and easier to use (and could use photoshop plugins, although almost all of those cost more than PSP itself did)

The GIMP is very photoshop-like, but free (and massively cross platform). I have it on $LAPTOPS[$EMPLOYER] because they are too tight to buy either photoshop OR paint shop pro for me.

The laptop I am trying to learn how to draw on (which has my XPen on it) has FireAlpaca on it for that purpose; I have OpenToon on there too, but that's a bit much for me for now so sticking with FA.

3 minutes ago, Key Sharkz said:

I think because they don't "look" like they should go together, you know?

Its not that surprising a combo; the japanese are big on mixing up sweet and savory, so I have tried some pretty odd combos (cheese and bacon on a sweet pastry, for example) and as mentioned, gammon with pinapple is on the menu at lots of restaurants.

So its not like object to the theory - just I have tried it, and it isn't good.

I'm also having a hard time with Cinema4D; basically industry-level software for 3D modeling and 3D animation that costs thousands of dollars (the only other program I can think of is Maya) compared to Blender, a free 3D modeling program. Then there's Inkscape... And Windows Movie Maker and Paint.NET...

So instead of Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, and some sort of industry level 3D modeling program, it's Paint.NET, Inkscape, Windows Movie Maker, and Blender.

7 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

I could never get into photoshop, although I know it is the "expected" tool in design agencies. Seriously, Adobe are the Apple of the design market.

Paint Shop Pro was always cheaper and easier to use (and could use photoshop plugins, although almost all of those cost more than PSP itself did)

The GIMP is very photoshop-like, but free (and massively cross platform). I have it on $LAPTOPS[$EMPLOYER] because they are too tight to buy either photoshop OR paint shop pro for me.

The laptop I am trying to learn how to draw on (which has my XPen on it) has FireAlpaca on it for that purpose; I have OpenToon on there too, but that's a bit much for me for now so sticking with FA.

The main reason that the professional world relies on Adobe is because of support. Adobe has a team that has almost 24 hour tech service and a huge reputation to protect. They will be on the job to help you faster than any other company that makes such software it seems. Not to mention, Adobe offers so much in the way of tutorials and training on how to use their stuff that others simply lack the resources to do. Sure there are tutorials online on how to use GIMP and PSP, but the issue with them is that companies would rather rely on a company that has people PAID to help rather than free online tools which aren't always reliable and since they are not being paid you can't count on them to help you out when you need it.

I have the Adobe Collection CS6 myself, and while I love it, I will say... It does not work so great these days. For starters... On Mac since most iMacs and even Macbooks now are 4K or even 5K (my model is 5K), the menus in CS6 look like trash because they were not designed for UHD. The fuzziness is unreal.

12 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

Its not that surprising a combo; the japanese are big on mixing up sweet and savory, so I have tried some pretty odd combos (cheese and bacon on a sweet pastry, for example) and as mentioned, gammon with pinapple is on the menu at lots of restaurants.

So its not like object to the theory - just I have tried it, and it isn't good.

Yeah, in theory something should work, but it doesn't always mean that it does, especially when we're talking something so subjective.

My first exposure to Photoshop was when Adobe Flash was still a thing, but that was during a time when my life was dominated with chronic depression and exhaustion. Oh, and hiding 99.99999% of my true self from anyone. (I'm at 95% maybe.)

I also have this "don't expect help from anyone" mentality, so even when I find a tutorial on Blender, I never ask for additional help; i instead see if anyone had the same problem I did and use that answer for myself.

The problem I might have with professional tutorials is there are too many ways to teach the same topics, but my biggest problem right now is that they go through everything with a fine-tooth comb; like, I watch everything at double speed and even that wasn't enough for the Cinema4D tutorial I'm following. It's taking me 20 videos to make something in C4D that conflicts with how I design things whereas it took ONE video on the art style I wanted to learn Blender.

Also, if there's nothing that caters to my art styles, then I don't wanna bother. I wanna ditch Phong shading as a stylistic choice (3D stuff) and I wanna make things overbearingly simplistic but still able to portray something (EG, how I never draw noses or mouths but only use white ellipses as eyes thereby making the eyes go on overdrive for portraying emotions) and I absolutely hate RYB (no respect towards cyan and magenta and I'll refuse to take said colour advice).

I also have this rule about being an artist: NEVER call yourself an artist.

11 minutes ago, SnekEater said:

Morning, troops! How are we all doing today? :)

I have just slept for nearly 15 hours, and Jesus Christ, did I need it. :nom:

Howdy, chief.

About to brew some coffee as I prepare for the last day of work this week. Wife said we are going on a date to the Chinese place if we can get out early. Still not counting on that happening, I'm sure someone for work won't show up and that means I'll have to be in charge again.

31 minutes ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

I'm also having a hard time with Cinema4D; basically industry-level software for 3D modeling and 3D animation that costs thousands of dollars (the only other program I can think of is Maya) compared to Blender, a free 3D modeling program. Then there's Inkscape... And Windows Movie Maker and Paint.NET...

So instead of Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, and some sort of industry level 3D modeling program, it's Paint.NET, Inkscape, Windows Movie Maker, and Blender.

yup, I mostly have free stuff too - hence opentoon. I know toonboom CLAIM to be a cheaper alternative, but they are still outside of a hobbiest price range.

29 minutes ago, Key Sharkz said:

The main reason that the professional world relies on Adobe is because of support. Adobe has a team that has almost 24 hour tech service and a huge reputation to protect. They will be on the job to help you faster than any other company that makes such software it seems. Not to mention, Adobe offers so much in the way of tutorials and training on how to use their stuff that others simply lack the resources to do. Sure there are tutorials online on how to use GIMP and PSP, but the issue with them is that companies would rather rely on a company that has people PAID to help rather than free online tools which aren't always reliable and since they are not being paid you can't count on them to help you out when you need it.

I have the Adobe Collection CS6 myself, and while I love it, I will say... It does not work so great these days. For starters... On Mac since most iMacs and even Macbooks now are 4K or even 5K (my model is 5K), the menus in CS6 look like trash because they were not designed for UHD. The fuzziness is unreal.

Yup. hence the Apple comparison - its actually great, provided you are able and winning to throw money at every problem, every time. And a LOT of money.

29 minutes ago, Key Sharkz said:

Yeah, in theory something should work, but it doesn't always mean that it does, especially when we're talking something so subjective.

yup. hence it is one of those holy wars...

3 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

Yup. hence the Apple comparison - its actually great, provided you are able and winning to throw money at every problem, every time. And a LOT of money.

Apple ironically only gets used in HIGH GRADE industry work because of its price. So like if you go to Pixar or South Park studios... All Macs because they have to complete things fast and every crash will set them back. They need stability, but you pay a high price for it. Like I've never had a slow down, freeze or crash on my iMac, but I also paid a pretty penny for it.

16 minutes ago, SnekEater said:

Morning, troops! How are we all doing today? :)

I have just slept for nearly 15 hours, and Jesus Christ, did I need it. :nom:

Doing great, but then, I credit Coffee for that :)

3 minutes ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

My first exposure to Photoshop was when Adobe Flash was still a thing, but that was during a time when my life was dominated with chronic depression and exhaustion. Oh, and hiding 99.99999% of my true self from anyone. (I'm at 95% maybe.)

Yeah. I need to find a cheap copy of flash (assuming there is such a thing? second hand, maybe?) so I can try and model Ponies for my avatar given my lack of drawing skills. Currently using a pony creator, which isn't terrible, but isn't real great either.

I also have this "don't expect help from anyone" mentality, so even when I find a tutorial on Blender, I never ask for additional help; i instead see if anyone had the same problem I did and use that answer for myself.

Often worth joining such a community and then answering questions you know the answer to (even if it means you have to go try that on your copy, to see how you would solve it). After a while, you feel more comfortable asking your own questions, as you have contributed to the group so should at least get something out of it. And even if you don't - working though other people's problems can often improve your skills.

The problem I might have with professional tutorials is there are too many ways to teach the same topics, but my biggest problem right now is that they go through everything with a fine-tooth comb; like, I watch everything at double speed and even that wasn't enough for the Cinema4D tutorial I'm following. It's taking me 20 videos to make something in C4D that conflicts with how I design things whereas it took ONE video on the art style I wanted to learn Blender.

That's also a problem. If a workflow walkthough in your package doesn't feel right, it probably means the author doesn't think the same way you do - so either you need to change the way your brain is wired, or go find a better author :)

Also, if there's nothing that caters to my art styles, then I don't wanna bother. I wanna ditch Phong shading as a stylistic choice (3D stuff) and I wanna make things overbearingly simplistic but still able to portray something (EG, how I never draw noses or mouths but only use white ellipses as eyes thereby making the eyes go on overdrive for portraying emotions) and I absolutely hate RYB (no respect towards cyan and magenta and I'll refuse to take said colour advice).

I also have this rule about being an artist: NEVER call yourself an artist.

Its one of those things where the title is only worth having if it is given, rather than claimed.

Just now, Key Sharkz said:

Apple ironically only gets used in HIGH GRADE industry work because of its price. So like if you go to Pixar or South Park studios... All Macs because they have to complete things fast and every crash will set them back. They need stability, but you pay a high price for it. Like I've never had a slow down, freeze or crash on my iMac, but I also paid a pretty penny for it.

And yet they are underpowered compared to the market; Given pixar write their own software, I would expect them to be doing so for render farms on a massively fault-tolerant array of commodity hardware. Google and amazon are looking at undersea datacenters now because cosmic rays, and Microsoft already has them.

• Brohoof 1