Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which one of the mane six is most likely to die of cancer?

Jade The Pegasister

On 3/20/2018 at 3:33 PM, Jade The Pegasister said:

Yes, all hypothetical stuff by the way guys I’m trying to think for a short animation or story 

If you're thinking of having one of the mane 6 die of cancer, i honestly think you should be more concerned with your mental state of being than a story 

None of them wouldbe, as cancer can be treated easilly with magic.

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Sylveon said:

If you're thinking of having one of the mane 6 die of cancer, i honestly think you should be more concerned with your mental state of being than a story 

None of them would be, as cancer can be treated easilly with magic.

Ponies: We can cure cancer with magic, yet not fix a ruined mane

Seems legit

8 minutes ago, The Nth Doctor said:

Seems legit

If hasbro wants to write convoluted storylines that's not my problem.

• Brohoof 1

11 minutes ago, The Nth Doctor said:

Seems legit

Zecora: "I can brew potions to regenerate bone."

"Yet regrowing manes? Hold the phone!"

full.gif

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

Twilight, from what i hear the more you sit the higher your likelihood to get cancer. And she sure does seem to sit a lot as she stays there for days reading eight seven foot towers of books

11 hours ago, Sylveon said:

Hmm, and why do you suppose that? You don't know the reason that the person wants to write about cancer in the first place. It could be a pretty personal reason - such as it happening within the family - or as a result of exploring the topic in a safe way without having it actually happen in real life.

As far as the likelihood of cancer, that's even supposing cancer is a legitimate condition in Equestria. But assuming it functions similarly to cancer in the real world, I would agree that pegasi are probably the most likely to develop it given their exposure to the sun. Pinkie Pie's poor diet could also contribute to the likelihood of her developing cancer.

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Wolfhog said:

Hmm, and why do you suppose that? You don't know the reason that the person wants to write about cancer in the first place. It could be a pretty personal reason - such as it happening within the family - or as a result of exploring the topic in a safe way without having it actually happen in real life.

As far as the likelihood of cancer, that's even supposing cancer is a legitimate condition in Equestria. But assuming it functions similarly to cancer in the real world, I would agree that pegasi are probably the most likely to develop it given their exposure to the sun. Pinkie Pie's poor diet could also contribute to the likelihood of her developing cancer.

I can understand it being personal. But it's kind of disturbing when people want to bring morbid topics into a cartoon, it's kind of jarring. As saying. Cancer sucks, but serious diseases shouldnt have a place in a cartoon. I can understand it happening, but isnt thd point of personal information supposed to remain, idk, personal? 

i just think cancer and mlp don't mix. 

4 minutes ago, Sylveon said:

I can understand it being personal. But it's kind of disturbing when people want to bring morbid topics into a cartoon, it's kind of jarring.

It's interesting you say that, because there actually have been cartoon movies that have depicted morbid topics. Two I can name off my head are Watership Down (which is based off a novel) and Felidae. (If you're below eighteen, please do not look up the latter. I'll just sum it up by saying that it talks about a lot of adult themes and actually shows some of them in grotesque detail.) There's also adult cartoons specifically catered to adults, and it's very common for them to insert morbid topics either for the sake of satirizing them or shock value. Rick & Morty's got that in spades, and it's one of the more popular adult cartoons; a lot of its themes revolve around a dysfunctional family falling apart at the seams and terrible diseases are so common in it it's parodied within the show itself how often it comes up.

But to be fair, it's understandable why you would view MLP: FiM as being different from those shows, and it's mainly in the fact that many of those shows are cynical in nature. This particular cartoon has a lighter overall tone than them, and such a tone would be diluted with heavier topics. I've gone on record for praising the show for tackling harder topics in a subtler, more optimistic fashion than other shows would dare to. And of course, I would not want outright cancer to show up within the canon that the show has.

That being said, I don't think fanfiction or fan creations should be limited to canon. In fact, I'd go as far as to say the whole point of them is to explore things that the show would not dare to explore. And I think attempting to put a limit on what can be explored through that venue would be arbitrary at best. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm far from a connoisseur of the grimdark, and in fact I vastly prefer a balance within my stories, but who am I to judge those who find value in that kind of work? On the other hand, what I would personally do with fan creations could be out of someone else's understanding, and that's just fine.

16 minutes ago, Sylveon said:

I can understand it happening, but isnt thd point of personal information supposed to remain, idk, personal? 

It's up to the discretion of the person and their willingness to release such personal information. No one else gets to make the call on how personal something must be to them, nor what they do with that personal information. It's theirs to share (or not) as they want to.

Fiction is a great way of unpacking personal experiences without risking harm to yourself or others around you by exploring it out in the real world. Vent art is something that exists for a reason, and it's very common for fiction writers to have been cited to write something when they were in a dark place. 

That being said, there's nothing wrong with feeling like the tone of cancer vs. the tone of MLP: FiM have a grand enough dissonance for you to be put off by it. I myself would likely not read a MLP fanfiction that has cancer as the focus. It's just that I'm not really all that weirded out by the idea that someone out there would want to write it, even if it's not my cup of tea. Actually, I'm a little more surprised I haven't heard about it before this thread.

20 minutes ago, Wolfhog said:

It's interesting you say that, because there actually have been cartoon movies that have depicted morbid topics. Two I can name off my head are Watership Down (which is based off a novel) and Felidae. (If you're below eighteen, please do not look up the latter. I'll just sum it up by saying that it talks about a lot of adult themes and actually shows some of them in grotesque detail.) There's also adult cartoons specifically catered to adults, and it's very common for them to insert morbid topics either for the sake of satirizing them or shock value. Rick & Morty's got that in spades, and it's one of the more popular adult cartoons; a lot of its themes revolve around a dysfunctional family falling apart at the seams and terrible diseases are so common in it it's parodied within the show itself how often it comes up.

But to be fair, it's understandable why you would view MLP: FiM as being different from those shows, and it's mainly in the fact that many of those shows are cynical in nature. This particular cartoon has a lighter overall tone than them, and such a tone would be diluted with heavier topics. I've gone on record for praising the show for tackling harder topics in a subtler, more optimistic fashion than other shows would dare to. And of course, I would not want outright cancer to show up within the canon that the show has.

That being said, I don't think fanfiction or fan creations should be limited to canon. In fact, I'd go as far as to say the whole point of them is to explore things that the show would not dare to explore. And I think attempting to put a limit on what can be explored through that venue would be arbitrary at best. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm far from a connoisseur of the grimdark, and in fact I vastly prefer a balance within my stories, but who am I to judge those who find value in that kind of work? On the other hand, what I would personally do with fan creations could be out of someone else's understanding, and that's just fine.

It's up to the discretion of the person and their willingness to release such personal information. No one else gets to make the call on how personal something must be to them, nor what they do with that personal information. It's theirs to share (or not) as they want to.

Fiction is a great way of unpacking personal experiences without risking harm to yourself or others around you by exploring it out in the real world. Vent art is something that exists for a reason, and it's very common for fiction writers to have been cited to write something when they were in a dark place. 

That being said, there's nothing wrong with feeling like the tone of cancer vs. the tone of MLP: FiM have a grand enough dissonance for you to be put off by it. I myself would likely not read a MLP fanfiction that has cancer as the focus. It's just that I'm not really all that weirded out by the idea that someone out there would want to write it, even if it's not my cup of tea. Actually, I'm a little more surprised I haven't heard about it before this thread.

I can understand that. But the issue i have with this, cancer just hits too close to home for me, and i preferabbly would not have to re-live those nightmares but in pony form.

i do not generally support such ideas, but if he wants to write them, go ahead.

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Sylveon said:

But the issue i have with this, cancer just hits too close to home for me, and i preferabbly would not have to re-live those nightmares but in pony form.

I'm sorry to hear that. I understand why you would want to avoid such material because of that. Hopefully I didn't sound judgmental in any of my replies; I only sought, of course, to offer an alternative perspective.

It's a bit heavy for me, too, believe you me.

Just now, Wolfhog said:

I'm sorry to hear that. I understand why you would want to avoid such material because of that. Hopefully I didn't sound judgmental in any of my replies; I only sought, of course, to offer an alternative perspective.

It's a bit heavy for me, too, believe you me.

It's fine. I should've been upfront about it.

that being said, if he wants to write it as a form of coping skills, thsn he can feel free to choose so.

• Brohoof 1

wat

the fuck?

uhm...

maybe twilight or pinkie? Maybe Starl- nvm

yeah those two

Pinkie because of all the sugar and twilight because she'll do something wrong with magic radiation (and i suspect magic exhibits ALOT of radiation) which damages her cells. The problem will be that she won't be able to repair her genetic code at first but i guess she'll figure it out. Or starlight will, if twilight has a brain-tumor.