Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Am I the only one who doesn't dislike any episodes?

Toastypk

(edited)

This is something I've wondered for some time.

Through general osmosis on this board reading of threads, as well as the episode ratings, I glean people's attitudes toward episodes. Sometimes, some people don't like particular episodes and go into detail why things are OOC or don't make sense or why the episode was bad or didn't like how a character acted or performed or something,

But to me, I've never really felt like I would give any episode less than a 3 out of 5. Nothing has ever really gotten below a "good" to me.

For sure, there's weaker episodes and stronger episodes, and some episodes have issues, and there's legit criticisms that episodes have. 

But even those weaker episodes, I've enjoyed watching.

Although I do draw various notions and observations from the episodes, I'm not one of those big analysing pony watcher types who gets way too into it. I love the character interactions, humor, cuteness, and many things, even if the episode isn't particularly wonderful. The one I would say I like the least would be What About Discord, cause it just seemed to not go much of anywhere and the entire episode being about trying to mimic that one night, but even that episode I didn't dislike.  I feel like an episode would have to leave a bad taste in my mouth for it to be a 2 or less, but that doesn't seem to happen.

I was wondering about this thread with Fake it till you make it, and I was going to start the thread when that aired and talk about why I wasn't bothered, when others were, but now that I saw Non Compete Clause, liked it, and then read that people REALLY hate this episode, I feel really peculiar and that really compelled me to have to start this thread. I mean, AJ and RD are two of my favorites of the mane 6, I had the plushes of the with me as I'm watching it, and the episode, while not neccesarily superb, I liked. I'm wondering if there's going to be an episode I really don't like or not. Is that bad? Is that good?

Somebody make an episode where the mane 6 are staring at a wall for 30 minutes, that could be one I dislike.

Edited by Toastypk
  • Brohoof 8

I think it takes a lot for me to really dislike an episode. The last episode which I considered to be truly awful was P.P.O.V., but it was always few and far between. That being said, if an episode has some depth it causes me to like it a lot more. 

(edited)

I mean, when you have a show with 150+ episodes, you’re bound to run into episodes you dislike. I do envy those who are positive enough to get some enjoyment out of any episode

Edited by Whomps
  • Brohoof 7

21 minutes ago, Ganondox said:

I think it takes a lot for me to really dislike an episode. The last episode which I considered to be truly awful was P.P.O.V., but it was always few and far between. That being said, if an episode has some depth it causes me to like it a lot more. 

That one did have some tension on the relationship of the three of them, and that was pretty deep and concerning, especially when you see how pissed they are at one another. But then that makes you wonder how it gets fixed.

2 minutes ago, Toastypk said:

That one did have some tension on the relationship of the three of them, and that was pretty deep and concerning, especially when you see how pissed they are at one another. But then that makes you wonder how it gets fixed.

My problem with it wasn’t that they were fighting, it’s that the reason for such was bad. The conclusion was just really bad. The tension is fixed trivally because there was no real problem in the first place. 

I think all the episodes are at least watchable to an extent, but there are quite a few that I personally can't stand to revisit. Canterlot Wedding is the earliest example I can think of, with Flutter Brutter being the latest.

• Brohoof 1

No, since there are theoretically infinite universes, there can be a universe where everyone adores very episode of My Little Pony, or one where there is a Chinese dude that likes every episode of the show, etc.

• Brohoof 2

There's only one episode I actually dislike, but besides that, I like all of them in some way or another. 

• Brohoof 2

I’ve found many through the years to be more irritating or boring than fun. “Non-Compete Clause,” for instance, bored me. I envy your ability to be entertained by everything this show has offered. 

2 hours ago, Mystic Brush said:

I dont hate any episodes, i just dislike the boring ones such as, princess spike and AppleJacks day off. i dont mind it. i just would never watch it again.

I am one of those wierdos who actually like Applejack's Day Off. I just found it super interesting compared to the norm, lol. 

• Brohoof 1

I like the vast majority of the episodes and I kind of find some of the over the top reviews with essays about why an episode is bad to be pretentious. No one is impressed that you wrote an essay about why an episode sucks. But remember it’s “cool” not to like things.

I have always felt this way (even not within the realms of MLP).

Here's my criteria for watching an episode of anything:

1. Does it have characters I like or characters written to be liked/entertaining(subjective for me obviously)

Well that settles it then I'll watch this episode again; as I've said before there is no episode of MLP/EqG I'd skip watching. Now when it comes to analysis I can switch my mind and be more critical and less biased but I never let that mindset take over when just watching something. I live my life to be entertained and if you do as well it doesn't hurt that you're more open minded, it just makes it easier. But with that comes the self awareness that you are one exception and not everyone will feel the same so don't let others get you down with their opinions and don't fight them on theirs unless you are willing to attempt a more objective approach to see their side as well.

9 hours ago, SwitchGuy2018 said:

All the episodes, even the most "bad" and "forgettable" have at least one moment worth seeing at least once in my book.

I agree! Even when I haven't found all the episodes as enjoyable, I still don't exactly dislike any I've seen; I just think that all of the episodes have something great going on for them one way or another.

On another note, I do find it kind of weird how much some people can hate a cartoon episode. When I still actively frequented another forum dedicated to MLP I came across many "This episode was complete trash" posts and I kept wondering why the people watched the show in the first place if they had the need to bash that many episodes.

I used to think like that though then i dont know what happened but the something brushed me in the wrong way in one episode and for me that was something that i wasnt able to accept so i havent watched any episodes since. Im pretty sure the episodes after that are good and all but i just cant do it i'll need to get over myself first

3 minutes ago, Manaka Hitomi said:

I used to think like that though then i dont know what happened but the something brushed me in the wrong way in one episode and for me that was something that i wasnt able to accept so i havent watched any episodes since. Im pretty sure the episodes after that are good and all but i just cant do it i'll need to get over myself first

Can you tell me the name of the episode that brushed you the wrong way?

Just now, SwitchGuy2018 said:

Can you tell me the name of the episode that brushed you the wrong way?

well its more of a personal issue for me as the episode itself i think was good and all but it went to a direction that i personally wasnt comfortable with and that combined with the reason that i watched MLP which basically was to avoid all of the stuff iit kinda destroyed the series for me personally as i would kinda have to find another reason to watch the show. Which i wasnt able to find thats why i havent watched any episodes since as i feel that they are not afraid to take that direction again and it is not something that i am comfortable with.