So who is upgrading to windows 8?

chubzz

Who is upgrading to Windows 8?  

54 users have voted

1. 1. Upgrading?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maby

Nope. Tried the beta on a different machine. Ugly new interface, no support for DVD playback unless you pay extra for it (Yes, they actually said that), no Flash (We have HTML5 now, but you can't just throw Flash out the door), etc.

Correct if I'm wrong about Flasg, but I thought I read that once.

• Brohoof 1

hmmm, MABY.

Although it should be bad following Windows pattern

No. heck no. They've really screwed things up here....they've utilized the wrong UI or a computer operating system. Face it, Microsoft, Metro may look and work great on your phone and video game console OS's, but there is NO way that that kind of system can work on a PC... Seriously, it's hideous, and everything's all mixed up. “Where the heck do I go to do this, that, etc.?”, you'll probably ask. It's a garbage pile that they call an operating system upgrade....

Posted Image

I mean, LOOK at it....that's all you need to know.

I think the operating system has been going through a major up-down cycle with XP (good), Vista (bad), 7 (good), 8 (bad)....heck, even the names are getting less creative. Hopefully the negativity stops with 8. I currently am cursed with Vista, so if I upgrade, you bet your flank I'll be getting 7, rather than Windows H8.

Um, what is that? Please tell me it isn't the desktop

KILL IT WITH FIRE!!! So, it wouldn't let me upload my img. Feel that wrath of my Royal Capslock fused with the accursed COMICSANS!

What's this?

BURNED IE8 IS EVOLVING!

Press B to stop evolution!

CONGRATULATIONS! Your IE8 has evolved into: Firefox.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

hmmm, MABY.

Although it should be bad following Windows pattern

Um, what is that? Please tell me it isn't the desktop

Sadly....

EDIT: we'll, actually it's the over-complex anti-user-friendly home screen, which is filled with all these useless apps and gadgets that would only make sense on a video game or smartphone operating system.

Edited by One Reliable Gamer (NF160)

I bet most Windows users are in agreement that the Metro interface is pretty much a bad idea. It looks really unprofessional compared to Windows 7. Mind you Windows 7 isn't exactly super professional. Metro Tiles are whimsical yet leave little options to properly customize.

I tend to set up my Windows to my liking, and being able to do so makes it a great OS to me. I choose how to use it. Going more App based seems like chasing Apple.

If it were possible to turn off the Metro features and keep the improved parts of Windows 8, I would consider getting it if I bought a newer machine. if not, I will wholeheartedly stick to Windows 7.

It seems pretty unanimous that people dislike Windows 8's new inteface, just showing Microsoft might be in for a big mistake. Might be a big risk.

It doesn't have a start menu, so

Although my desktop is touchscreen, so it might work!

Is that the weird OS that looks like the Windows phone OS? If so I'm certainly sticking with Windows 7.

• Brohoof 1

Nope. Looks god awful. Possible restriction to just IE outside of metro. Aero won't be in the final release. The ARM version is so useless, I don't even know why Microsoft wasted resources developing it. It just looks like a pile of failure on fire to me.

I'm going to jump on the bandwagon of what the majority has said and say no for mostly the same reasons. I just finally got use to where everything is on windows 7 and ever since upgrading from Vista all of my programs and games have been running smooth with little to no errors.

Windows 8 already? What's with these people? This time last year they were still advertising Windows 7 as this brand new cool thing.

I'm perfectly happy with Windows 7, so I'm not planning to switch any time soon.

I gotta say, I was the most satisfied with XP, and 7 was a downgrade at first for me, but I grew into it. Unless I get a tablet, I'm sticking with 7 until nothing works on it anymore. I've already got Linux and W7 on this computer, so I have no real reason to get 8.

Nope, I've a couple of the betas, and although they're good it'd be cheaper to get Windows 7.

Windows 8 already? What's with these people? This time last year they were still advertising Windows 7 as this brand new cool thing.

Windows 7 is 3 years old already. Vista was 3 yo when Win 7 was released.

The core will work in the exactly same way on desktops. Metro will have an Aero app. Windows Store is not obligatory to use. There are many minor changes for good; Explorer will be greatly enhanced, full shutdown feature is finally removed, it will boot faster because of it (although not very much faster than a properly configured Win 7), it will also work slightly faster with some hardware. There's no good reason not to upgrade except money for a license time to set up and if Win 8 comes preinstalled there's no good reason to choose Win 7 over it. If one gets a license for free for some reason (e.g. MSDNAA) and has a free sunday, upgrading to Win 8 seems like a good idea, depending on the final release. That's why I voted 'yes', altough I should vote 'maybe', however there's no such option ;)

However most people (apparently 88%) don't get the upgrade for free nor they are proficient in and/or eager to spend a weekend in front of the computer just so they have changes that they don't really care about.

(edited)

Which just makes it more ridiculous on more levels.

Ridiculous how? Major Ubuntu Linux releases are every half a year. Major Mac OS X releases are every 2 years. Just how in hay a regular interval of 3 years between releases is ridiculous on any level and too short at the same time? Edited by Sne