Wouldn't words like "Nopony" be unnecessary?

Unity

I just typed out "Nobody" on a different website and it got me thinking on why the ponies actually say it.

They say things like "Nopony" instead of "Nobody" but that really seems unnecessary, maybe they have actually said "Nobody" before and im just missing it but i can't recall it but i could have sword it has been said.

Well anyways, my reasoning for thinking it is unnecessary is that we dont say "Nohuman" or anything like that, and Ponies have body's too and as far as i can tell "Nobody" applies to anything that has a body, so not really a reason to make it "Pony" instead.

Thoughts?

• Brohoof 1

Untitled.png

It's really just a silly, cute little way to differentiate the way ponies speak from how we do. "Pony" is awfully close to "Body" after all, so it's not hard to just change the words a bit. Plus, these ponies love making horse puns, just take a look at all their town/city names. "Ponyville", "Canterlot", "Fillydelphia", "Manehatten". 

Pretty sure they've said things like "Somebody" or "Someone" before a few times though too, maybe those instances just slipped by the writer's.

• Brohoof 5

Twilight is best pony.

Why hello MLPForums! What have ya been up to?

It's really more of a harmless spin on the word, to make it more appropriate for a show which stars ponies. Similar to the phrase 'everypony' being used, as opposed to 'everybody'

• Brohoof 2

At first I rejected the zero, but that was because I simply didn't understand it. Now I do.

It makes for a wonderful Brony identifying mark so I can't complain. In a hardcore sci-fi world it would be accepted that "person" is inseparable from "pony" and either would be acceptable, but... ehh... I'm more than down with it. Real challenge is NOT saying "pony" in 'secular' conversation... I've come close a few times :D

dieWifTheHerd.gif.35285b33b6e55f13821c42e0296af040.gif

"You can anybody instead of anypony. Frankly, I don't see what the point of that is."

tumblr_m2byz9PxM21qjdq87o4_1280.jpg

I'm getting PONY.MOV callbacks from this. ^_^

It's not about whether or not it's necessary, it's just something they do to be cute, and that's really all there is to it. One thing that's not been said yet though that I will bring up is that I do understand the confusion that would cause for other creatures besides ponies, especially with the emphasis on diversity in the types of Equestrian beings in the current season. Sometimes, they say every/any/no creature. Other times, they still say every/any/nopony. I do have to confess to chuckling at the goofiness of them referring to creatures who are clearly not ponies as such. :laugh:

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

"You can anybody instead of anypony. Frankly, I don't see what the point of that is."

tumblr_m2byz9PxM21qjdq87o4_1280.jpg

One thing that's not been said yet though that I will bring up is that I do understand the confusion that would cause for other creatures besides ponies, especially with the emphasis on diversity in the types of Equestrian beings in the current season. Sometimes, they say every/any/no creature I do have to confess to chuckling at the goofiness of them referring to creatures who are clearly not ponies as such. :laugh:

Wasn't that specifically encouraged in the School of Friendship? I thought for sure that it was. And while it would feel like an insult to call anyone "creature" on Earth, it doesn't seem out-of-context in their world. I kind of wonder what term progressive humans would use if we were suddenly thrust into a Star Trek-ish galaxy teeming with sentient life-forms of every shape and size.

dieWifTheHerd.gif.35285b33b6e55f13821c42e0296af040.gif

What the above one said.

It's just a simple way of making the show what it is. It's a detail really, a minor one, but still important. Because what is the show but a bunch of minor details? You could then focus on the fact some of them have hooves drawn, but most do not. So let's take that away too, it's unneccessary. Certain ones wear some cosmetic items on themselves, but still most of them wear nothing. Let's get rid of that too. And before you know it, you are left with a bland show that, although entertaining to some extent, is missing that special "something" that makes it wonderful. The essence.

The devil's in the details.

Signed,

your local awooist.

• Brohoof 2

ss.jpg.aeda24b4fffcece6dbcbd671ce8d08f8.jpg.2e087456cec99833c153f33e137a4d8f.jpg

𝕿𝖆𝖐𝖊 𝖒𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖗𝖔𝖚𝖌𝖍 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖓𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙, 𝖋𝖆𝖑𝖑 𝖎𝖓 𝖙𝖔 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖉𝖆𝖗𝖐 𝖘𝖎𝖉𝖊! 𝖂𝖊 𝖉𝖔𝖓'𝖙 𝖓𝖊𝖊𝖉 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖑𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙, 𝖜𝖊 𝖑𝖎𝖛𝖊 𝖔𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖉𝖆𝖗𝖐 𝖘𝖎𝖉𝖊! 𝕴 𝖘𝖊𝖊 𝖎𝖙, 𝖑𝖊𝖙'𝖘 𝖋𝖊𝖊𝖑 𝖎𝖙, 𝖜𝖍𝖎𝖑𝖊 𝖜𝖊'𝖗𝖊 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖑𝖑 𝖞𝖔𝖚𝖓𝖌 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗𝖑𝖊𝖘𝖘! 𝕷𝖊𝖙 𝖌𝖔 𝖔𝖋 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖑𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙, 𝖋𝖆𝖑𝖑 𝖎𝖓 𝖙𝖔 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖉𝖆𝖗𝖐 𝖘𝖎𝖉𝖊! 𝕱𝖆𝖑𝖑 𝖎𝖓 𝖙𝖔 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖉𝖆𝖗𝖐 𝖘𝖎𝖉𝖊! 𝕲𝖎𝖛𝖊 𝖎𝖓 𝖙𝖔 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖉𝖆𝖗𝖐 𝖘𝖎𝖉𝖊!

If you are not yet subscribed to Syrex, frankly, what are you even doing with your life? Best Nightcore & artist cooperation ever <3

I suspect the show runners never intended for the word "creature" to be insulting and was meant to refer to the fact that most of the non-pony students are based off of Mythological Creatures from our world. The fact that on the Character Page of MLP WIKI there's an whole section of link on Animals characters (like cats, spiders, bunnies) AND a section on Creature characters (Changelings, Hippogriffs, Dragons, and other kinds of fantastic and mythological species) supports the intention that calling someone a creature does not necessarily mean the person is racist. Since they ARE based on creatures of mythology. Besides, none of the students objected to being called creature by the pony teachers during the fight in the hallway.

As for me personally, I've always prefer using variations of "-body" or "-one": Someone, Anybody, Everyone and Nobody (please no Kingdom Hearts reference here; I'm being serious)

• Brohoof 1

A Dragon as big as his love for Disney and has his head in the clouds literally and figuratively

948524045_DragonWillGuideBannerbyWifeofHawks.jpg.d26404e241135b8f330fd49c3a2858d9.jpg 

Ask Will Guide | Signature by Wife of Hawks | WiiGuy2014’s OCs

It has no reason whatsoever that they use it. G1 didn't do it, so why would G4 feel the need to start it? Especially now with the introduction of the student 6 it's grating. 'Everypony', 'nopony' etc. at least work sort of as word play, but 'everycreature' is just plain stupid. I'm probably being a bit too harsh on it here, but I really, really don't like the forced way they adhere to it even now. Keep the 'everypony' for all I care, but at least say 'everyone' or 'everybody' when addressing the students who aren't ponies.

• Brohoof 1