Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Console or PC?

kewlman2006

Console (Xbox, Playstation, etc), or PC?  

43 users have voted

1. 1. PC or Console

• Console
    • PC
    • Both
    • Neither

I grew up with consoles, when they were more reliable or on par with a PC. So for the longest time I'd always use them, and met a lot of good friends along the way. Then I managed to save up for a decent computer, and I put some better parts in it to make it run better. That's when I became a PC gamer, because I realized what's the point of paying membership fees if I can do the same here on a stronger system? Now I have an even stronger PC, with games I had on console, and from my childhood thanks to emulators... and my Xbox One is collecting dust. So really its just decoration, I have no reason to turn it on and start paying membership fees again.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

How about both?

Well, I only do the PC nowadays because the modern consoles are not doing the things I loved about consoles as a kid, playing games at a smooth constant framerate (without popups, lag, operating system, internet connections, etc)

If this were 2011-2014, I would've said consoles, and if this were 2015-2019 or so I probably would've said PC. But currently I have a nice gaming PC, a Switch and an Xbox One X and honestly I really feel all of them have their advantages and disadvantage, things I like and things I don't quite like and I'm pretty much open to either. All really comes down to is what systems have the kinds of games I like, what features they have and what sales are going on. In recent times I mostly just find myself preferring certain types of games on PC and other types of games on console.

Edited by SuperNESBrony

I have a computer that plays games WAAAY better than any console (and it's cheaper overall than an X-Box One S or a PS4 Slim (just called the "PS4" in the UK apparently) cause the games are cheaper and you don't need to pay like 75€ a year to play online)

• Brohoof 1

I guess it depends on a few factors. Certain games (like racing games) are much better on console. I know you can plug a controller into a PC, but unless you're using an emulator for an old console, a controller kind of kills the main point of using a PC, and having a controller out in addition to a mouse and keyboard makes things feel really cluttered and in general is just a pain.

Consoles are also great for their simplicity. You just turn it on, go to your game library, and start up a game. Using voice comms on console is a lot easier, too. No crossing your fingers and hoping Discord cooperates.

Of course, there's also the fee you have to pay to play multiplayer games on console, which blows. That's the main reason I stopped playing console games for the most part.

I prefer PC for most of my games (excluding Forza), mostly because games just run smoother and better on PC. A PC is also easy to upgrade down the line when things start getting outdated and games become too hard to run, which is a bonus.

And then obviously there are all the PC games that can't port to console because of their control scheme, or at least wouldn't port very well. A mouse and keyboard has way more potential given the number of buttons compared to a controller. League of Legends comes to mind as a game that would be basically impossible to play on console, and the Terraria console port really doesn't feel great to play.

Edited by BOOker_laugh_at_my_pun
  • Brohoof 1

It all depends on the experience you want and how serious of a gamer you are. Do you like to have an optimized experience with high performance and a good advantage given by great hardware? You play on PC. Are you a casual gamer who just wants to relax? Console might be for you.

PC is more powerful and advantageous, while consoles are more physically comfortable because you can sit on the couch or in your bed. When playing on PC, you have to sit up in a chair, which isn't as comfortable. When I'm feeling more relaxed, I can say that I would enjoy playing Minecraft Bedrock on my Switch more than Java on my laptop, even though I think Java is better. But if you hypothesise that Geometry Dash was on consoles, I'm so serious about the game that I'm always going to play it on PC because it's optimal and I know I can be on the top of my game. It's really all about preference; this "PC master race" stuff really doesn't matter.

• 8 months later...

I had a few consoles when I was a child, but I solely use my PC for gaming. Games are cheaper (not only steam sales), I can design my own PC and put it self together. I have far better control over the system. The only negative point I can think of is having games with bad PC ports, but I'm really selective of my games and I don't do preorder/prebuy anyway.

• Brohoof 2

I play PC, it's cheaper (like more than half sometimes cause I'm in the UK, and I still get heavilly overcharged by about nearly double usually),

It's even more plug and play just to game,
you can play games more versatile (I could play games on a 350€ laptop and get a really good experience with solid framerates)

also pc can be used as just a computer to use the internet or get work done