Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Do you think Cozy Glow was supposed to be a straight-up "twist"?

gingerninja666

This has been on my mind for a little bit. I've seen some people roll their eyes because they thought it was "obvious" that Cozy Glow was evil.

My question is: Was that intentional?

Was Cozy Glow's reveal as a villain supposed to be a thing you wouldn't see coming? Or was she supposed to look suspicious to the audience the entire time?

Because I'm inclined to think the latter. They seemed to be having fun with just how suspicious and overly sacharine she was. I thought the mystery of Cozy wasn't "Is she up to no good?" It was "What's her angle?" The biggest twist for me was that she wasn't revealed to be working with Neighsay.

• The title was changed to Do you think Cozy Glow was supposed to be a straight-up "twist"?

Well anything that got to do with  a cute innocent  little girl with curly hairs is a typical indication that they're evil. 

But then again MLP is already predictable even before this. 

She was slightly weird in "Marks for the Effort," really weird in all of her cameos, and I think by "What Lies Beneath" you were supposed to get the hint, because that episode doesn't even try to hide that she's up to no good. 

• Brohoof 1

she was supposed to be a twist for the characters in the show, but we,as viewers weren't supposed to be surprised by it, at least i don't think we were, i actually thought she'd end up being a Chrysalis puppet tbh, or even a changeling herself(maybe one that happened to be out of the hive during the reformation)

I actually think the twist was decently done. If you look through the progress from episode to episode with the hints, you see a pattern. Marks for Effort and Friendship University had very slight foreshadowing of her actually being evil, then What Lies Beneath made it clear she had an ulterior agenda, but only slightly foreshadowed her being evil, as what she was planning could have been for "the greater good". Then there's definite foreshadowing in the finale, where it's not obvious right away that Neighsay is a decoy main antagonist and that Cozy Glow is just following orders, but by following the hints in the episode, you can tell that Cozy Glow has set everything up and is the true villain. I personally don't think that the twist was badly written or constructed, I just feel that some people went in with a bias after the twist had been spoiled for them. 

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, CloudMistDragon said:

I actually think the twist was decently done. If you look through the progress from episode to episode with the hints, you see a pattern. Marks for Effort and Friendship University had very slight foreshadowing of her actually being evil, then What Lies Beneath made it clear she had an ulterior agenda, but only slightly foreshadowed her being evil, as what she was planning could have been for "the greater good". Then there's definite foreshadowing in the finale, where it's not obvious right away that Neighsay is a decoy main antagonist and that Cozy Glow is just following orders, but by following the hints in the episode, you can tell that Cozy Glow has set everything up and is the true villain. I personally don't think that the twist was badly written or constructed, I just feel that some people went in with a bias after the twist had been spoiled for them. 

Best answer on this page.

Her being a jerk was obvious. But how far she was willing to go, to the point of destroying all magic was the real twist in my eyes.

Like I said, I thought Neighsay was going to be the Final Boss of the Season and Cozy would have a Heel-Face Turn to help our heroes stop him, but no. Her actions were sooooo much worse than Neighsay could ever be. And the icing on the cake is that she's shown absolutely no remose for her selfish actions.

• Brohoof 2

I actually think her being the villain was done a little subtle, but most of us knew of Cozy’s evil intentions due to the leaked synopses of the season even before we even knew what she looked like

I always felt that Cozy Glow was always a bit too nice and sweet, even for MLP standards. It was kinda obvious to me that she was just putting on an act, and I was half-right when she manipulated the Student 6 to doubt their friendships in What Lies Beneath. Her turning out to be evil wasn't all too big of a shock, but I think it was well done.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...