Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will FIM's end cause Discovery Family to fail?

ggg-2

I don't think that Discovery Family will necessarily fail after MLP is complete. I believe Hasbro has gained the right to Power Rangers. I can imagine they'll be showing Power Rangers every now and again. I can also see Hasbro airing MLP when generation 5 is both announced and released. 

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Dynamo Pad said:

I don't think that Discovery Family will necessarily fail after MLP is complete. I believe Hasbro has gained the right to Power Rangers. I can imagine they'll be showing Power Rangers every now and again. I can also see Hasbro airing MLP when generation 5 is both announced and released. 

Power Rangers will still be on Nickelodeon

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, ggg-2 said:

Power Rangers will still be on Nickelodeon

Oh, okay. I honestly didn't know about that. I heard that Nickelodeon didn't have the rights to Power Rangers, while Hasbro had gained the rights. It would be pretty interesting if Power Rangers were to air on Hasbro's TV network. Also, I can see Hasbro airing reruns of all the MLP series. :) 

Edited by Dynamo Pad

Many people don't have access to Discovery Family so they ended up watching the episodes online or through other channels. But in this case, I'm thinking that the channel still has other programs at its disposal which will help keep it afloat, but I don't know if these can measure up to the success that Friendship is Magic was.

Discovery Family is the most expensive channel package provided by the cable companies where I am, so I am not really worried about it's well being. But it probably will loose the crowd that had been subscribed to it because of the show. 

• Brohoof 1

With TV on it's way out and DF becoming more of an edutainment channel spamming re-runs of Cake Boss, I don't really see why it would stay afloat. I think Hasbro will try and use G4's succsess as a bargaining chip to get a proper network deal or some syndication. The only reason I see that not happening is if their contractually locked down with DF for the foreseeable future. . 

• Brohoof 1

If that happens, the only thing that will change is that Hasbro will move on to airing the show on another network. Remember what happened with The Hub? Also, with how quickly they push out MLP-related content, I feel that reruns of the show and shorts will be able to tide over the wait for G5. 

4 hours ago, Dynamo Pad said:

Oh, okay. I honestly didn't know about that. I heard that Nickelodeon didn't have the rights to Power Rangers, while Hasbro had gained the rights. It would be pretty interesting if Power Rangers were to air on Hasbro's TV network. Also, I can see Hasbro airing reruns of all the MLP series. :) 

Hasbro owns the Power Rangers IP while Nick has the broadcast rights.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, PinkiePie97 said:

Hasbro owns the Power Rangers IP while Nick has the broadcast rights.

Oh, okay and thanks for letting me know. So, while Hasbro owns Power Rangers, Nick may still broadcast the show on their network?

2 minutes ago, PinkiePie97 said:

Yes, that’s what that means.

Okay and now I understand. I was under the impression that when Hasbro got the rights to Power Rangers, that they were going to air the series on Discovery Family. Thank you again for clearing that up. :mlp_grin:

3 minutes ago, Bas said:

I don't, care to explain? Doesn't it exist anymore?

It was re-branded as Discovery Family because there wasn't enough money going into the original network. It's been common knowledge what happened for years. 

• Brohoof 1

On 2/19/2019 at 9:16 PM, Bas said:

Not when you aren't living in the US nor Canada. ;)

That shouldn't really matter even if you don't live in North America. It has been talked about to death since it happened a few years back. I'm just surprised that you haven't heard about this until now.

• Brohoof 1

26 minutes ago, Lucky Bolt said:

I agree that FIM has been what made Discovery Family so successful, but I don't see why the channel would fail, especially if Discovery Family does G5 

They could probably get a fair few years out of just re-showing S1-9 - most kids like to re-watch incessantly anyhow :)

11 minutes ago, Bas said:

I hope I don't sound blaming in any way.

I think if you are living in such a country it is way more likely to simply recognize it in daily life, esp if people have been watching that channel.

I must admit I might have also missed that because I only joined MLPF and to that extend the fandom at the end of 2017, despite watching MLP for years. :(

Oh and yeah, I certainly didn't keep me up with any pony news, I still have issues doing that today, no idea how others are doing that if we don't count EQ (which I don't visit).

Even then... if you watched live episode steaming, you would of known by now that happened.

11 minutes ago, Bas said:

I don't even know where to find these streamings.

Normally if you visit EqD when an episode is due to air, they have links to various streaming parties. There is usually one posted on MLPF too.

• 1 year later...