Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Bendy

(edited)

How do you think Princess Celestia and Princess Luna are immortal? And before you question think of Granny Smith, clearly evident that most of pony kind aren't immortal, not to mention Princess Celestia looks like she is only about 20 after a thousand years.

Do you think some other power hungry non immortal Ponies and non Pony creatures alike would want the key to immortality?

I wonder if the show will ever address this? Or if one has never made a fan fiction to address this issue?

Edit on 31/05/2012 : And I just found this on Google but not in search on this site a old thread talking about: Is Celestia immortal?

Edited by Rush
  • Brohoof 1

Only three plausible reasons in my mind are:

A: Cause they're alicorns

B: Cause they're royalty

C: Cause they got empowered by using the elements of harmony for so long *back when defeating Discord, etc*, and it's granted them that power.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Posted Image

I would have said that it was due to their status as royal alicorns. But then Cadance appeared, and from the flashbacks Twi had it's apparent that she has grown. So we may assume that either Cadance is not immortal, in which case Tia and Luna's immortality has no known source. Or Cadance is still very young, and hence will grow until she reaches a similar size as Tia/Luna then she'll stop growing. I think this is the most likely scenario, as when Luna was freed from Nightmare Moon she was about the same size as a regular pony. And a year later we see Luna fully grown again. So I think this means that the alicorns' size is irrelevant, as Luna is still immortal as fa as we know, so Cadance's growth may not be attributed to her potential mortality. And hence all three known alicorns are immortal, leading me to believe that Tia and Luna's immortality is due to their race.

I'm sorry if all that didn't make sense.

Edited by Tom

(edited)

No, because then they'll have eternal reign of Equestia. They can't rule it forever, no matter how old they are.

Well they don't seem to be tyrannical dictators or anything, so why not?

If immortality comes from race as said before, one very wicked individual could harvest the gene that makes an alicorn immortal, and genetically modified themselves to be immortal or even genetically engineer entirely new different species with the immortality gene.

Edited by Rush

I just figure it is because they are demi-gods. I may be over speculating but I think that the alicorns are similar to the Greek/Roman gods. They can reproduce and grow just as normal mortals they could never die of old age, although their immortal status may have a few exceptions (i.e. being killed by other gods or by injury).

I just figure it is because they are demi-gods. I may be over speculating but I think that the alicorns are similar to the Greek/Roman gods. They can reproduce and grow just as normal mortals they could never die of old age, although their immortal status may have a few exceptions (i.e. being killed by other gods or by injury).

I think you're on to something.

Think about it, we've seen Cerberus, and heard about Tartarus. Two known names from Greek mythology, so maybe Tia and Luna are gods, but more similar to the Greek gods of old.

They aren't immortal. They just have a really expanded long span as alicorns and significant members of the royal family.

P.S No offense, but I wanted to post the meme "Because shut up" from YGOTAS so badly. Such an overused topic.

Well, Luna was banished to the moon. What happens on the moon?

You're exposed to roughly 100x more UV (what causes sunburns) radiation than on the hottest beach on Earth at noon, there's no air to warm the side of you that's in the shade, there's no air to cool you off (roughly 2/3rd of your cooling comes from air around you), there's intense cosmic radiation and solar wind from the sun (a kind of radiation that Earth's magnetic field protects us from, or we'd call get cancer and die), the decompression would do a lot of pain to any mortal (make the saliva boil of your tongue, if you're decompressed instantly your lungs will collapse (so breath out as you decompress to prevent this from happening* astronaut safety tip XD ) , and the most immediate threat of all: a total lack of any atmosphere.

(Normally it takes about 30 seconds to lose consciousness from suffocation. But in space, your lungs which normally allows oxygen to flow from the air into your bloodstream, will allow oxygen from your bloodstream to flow into the vacuum of space, so you have 15 seconds of consciousness, 10 seconds before you get too loopy to do anything, and estimated 5 minutes until you die, but nobody really knows exactly. If your lungs or trachea collapse, though, you'd probably get your full 30 seconds, but lung collapse pretty much ensures rescue is impossible, so you want to avoid that).

In other words, unless Nightmare Moon / Luna was immortal, they'd die a lot of different ways on the moon.

Of course, two possible alternative explanations are either that she wasn't banished to the surface of the moon, but her essence was banished into it or something (I mean, watch S1E1 when she escapes. Her form is on the moon in craters. Doesn't seem like she's actually there on the surface as a mare), or NMM was immortal and she wasn't.

But whatever the case, they've lived more than a 1,000 years at least, so we know they don't get deathly ill, age, etc. etc.

It's very possible, though, that they can be born as babies, grow up in 20 years, then stay that age for thousands of years.

Posted Image

I would have said that it was due to their status as royal alicorns. But then Cadance appeared, and from the flashbacks Twi had it's apparent that she has grown. So we may assume that either Cadance is not immortal, in which case Tia and Luna's immortality has no known source. Or Cadance is still very young, and hence will grow until she reaches a similar size as Tia/Luna then she'll stop growing. I think this is the most likely scenario, as when Luna was freed from Nightmare Moon she was about the same size as a regular pony. And a year later we see Luna fully grown again. So I think this means that the alicorns' size is irrelevant, as Luna is still immortal as fa as we know, so Cadance's growth may not be attributed to her potential mortality. And hence all three known alicorns are immortal, leading me to believe that Tia and Luna's immortality is due to their race.

I'm sorry if all that didn't make sense.

I've always thought of it this way:

Luna died when Nightmare Moon took over her. NMM was infused with her and they became one individual. When the Mane 6 used the elements, they destroyed NMM, so the part of NMM that was the old Luna was all that was left (I get this from the smoking debris around Luna the first time the camera cuts back to her). However, Luna at that point was just a part of what was an Alicorn, so Luna was small, and weak. Her magic was destroyed, too, so she didn't have the flowing mane.

Over time, with healing and care under Celestia, she's returning to her previous state, regaining her magic, and growing again, since the Mane 6 partly destroyed her before when they tore her in half and destroyed the NMM half with the elements. So, much like a wound heals, she grew back to her previous state, so in "Luna Eclipsed" she was big and had the flowing mane.

So, her small size in S1E2 was different than young age. Something else entirely.

Yet, I do think that they're born normally and grow until an age and stay that way.

Immortality is actually something they're looking at in genetics and biology. Take a glance at this wiki article on immortality. Aging and death, theoretically can be avoided with the correct genetics. You wouldn't be invincible - you could still die from disease or injury - but you would reach a certain age and stop aging. The key would be to prevent DNA damaging, according to DNA damage theory.

I guess it could be done with the right genetics. So maybe, alicorns carry those genetics.

In other words, it's realistically plausible that genetics could cause that immortality, so it's a reasonable assumption that alicorns are like that, so Cadence is.

Well, I could keep going into this, but the truth is it really boils down to this:

Only three plausible reasons in my mind are:

A: Cause they're alicorns

B: Cause they're royalty

C: Cause they got empowered by using the elements of harmony for so long *back when defeating Discord, etc*, and it's granted them that power.

Except I'd snip the royalty part.

I'd think it's either because they're Alicorns, or because of their connection with the elements and using them.

If it's the first part, then Cadence is immortal, and Shining Armor will age and die while she stays young.

If it's the second part, then the mane 6 will become immortal in like manner.

Or, it could be just because Luna and Celestia are kinda like roman gods.

• Brohoof 4

Only three plausible reasons in my mind are: A: Cause they're alicorns B: Cause they're royalty C: Cause they got empowered by using the elements of harmony for so long *back when defeating Discord, etc*, and it's granted them that power.

If that were true, then the Mane 6 could become immortal, so I doubt it. I for one am a firm believer of A. ;)

I kind of just thought it was because they were supposed to be gods

This. They are goddesses, so they're kind of supposed to be immortal.

(edited)

This. They are goddesses, so they're kind of supposed to be immortal.

So it's magic then? One evil person could steal the magic that makes them immortal for themselves.

Edited by Rush

One evil person could steal the magic that makes them immortal for themselves.

We don't know what that magic is. It could be their own souls for all we know, or the elements of harmony or something. It might be a physical object that can be stolen, it might not.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

We don't know what that magic is. It could be their own souls for all we know, or the elements of harmony or something.

Well if one has the power to suck the soul out of another being and use it's power they could make themselves immortal that way. As for the elements of harmony, wouldn't the main six be immortal now?

It might be a physical object that can be stolen..

Quite possible. If the object is breakable they would die though.

Edited by Rush

I have a question, was it ever mentioned in the show that Tia and Luna were goddesses?

Or is that part fabricated by us?

• Brohoof 1

Well if one has the power to suck the soul out of another being and use it's power they could make themselves immortal that way. As for the elements of harmony, wouldn't the main six be immortal now?

A soul-sucking creature? 0_o That's a bit too scary for the MLP world. :(

I have a question, was it ever mentioned in the show that Tia and Luna were goddesses?

Or is that part fabricated by us?

I dunno, but they do do a full face-bow whenever they see her.

And apparently, by AJ's actions, it looks like taking off your hat isn't a sign of respect in Equestria like it is on Earth :P

But I'm pretty sure they stay away from the word "God" for fear of meeting a swift retaliation by atheistic parents.

But if they do anything outright atheistic, they lose an even bigger majority of viewers (since atheists are a minority).

So, the business decision is to stay as neutral as possible. As such, they'll probably never say "God", but Rarity in "Sisterhooves Social", and I think AJ at some point, have said "Celestia as my witness!..."

And, something in the back of my mind says at one point somepony said "Thank Celestia!", though I can't remember exactly.

(edited)

I think the royal alicorns age like vampires from certain stories.

They age normally and then at their prime they reach stagnation where the aging process ends so they eternally at theier best state.

Luna being younger than celestia and being sent to the moon would halt this process

so when luna returned she was still fairly small but after say a year she is older and closing in on stagnation. I think the missed years hit her at once and made her grow to the luna eclipsed version fast.

anywho this is my theory

Edited by Mareinthemoon
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Who said they are immortal? Maybe they just have really, really, really long lifespans.

But wouldn't that mean once Princess Celestia and Luna die of old age, all life on Equestria would die out? Possibly not, because maybe when they die two new alicorns both with the same cutie marks can restore balance to the sun and the moon thus saving Equestria from being a lifeless icy rock.

---

Edit: And I just found this on Google but not in search on this site a old thread talking about: Is Celestia immortal?

Edited by Rush

If they had lifespans It would leave a gap considdering candace..

also..

Pony logic defies logic...

we have relatives comming out of the wordwork...

with no answers

ponys with grip and rhythm

and a pony whos ingested more sugar than producable and has yet to have diabetes

• Brohoof 1