Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you like to be immortal?

I_wesley125

234 users have voted

1. 1. would u want to live 4 ever

• Live 4 Ever
    • live a normal life
    • Stare at the moon
    • how did i get here like seriously a minute ago i was looking up cat videos

(edited)

If you're talking about the type of immortality that LOTR elves have, in that they don't age but they can still be killed, then sure.  A very long life seems like a cool idea.  But immortality such that you can never die, no matter what, would actually be the worst torment imaginable.  Few people seem to understand this concept, which is baffling to me.  It's simply tantamount to a lack of imagination, in my view.  What people don't seem to understand is that eternal consciousness, no matter the experience, would be a curse.  Given enough time, it would become agony, just because you'd be sick of it and want it to be over.  This is why the very concept of an afterlife is totally bogus.  The idea of eternal paradise is an oxymoron.  The fact is that, given enough time, paradise and torture would become indistinguishable.  You wouldn't be able to tell the difference between Heaven and Hell after long enough.  It may take millions, or billions, or trillions of years, but eventually, Heaven and Hell would just be one and the same.  The difference would in the beginning, of course.  Heaven would start out very, very good, and Hell very, very bad, and then Heaven would slowly move towards the bad until they were indistinguishable.  Although, Heaven would never quite touch Hell.  It would be an asymptotic relationship--it would continually get closer and closer forever without ever reaching it.  But it wouldn't matter, because after long enough, there would be no discernible difference.

On 2/13/2012 at 12:46 PM, Shadow Stallion said:

Agreed. While it may be cool to live forever, you would want to eventually get your

eternal rest.

On 2/13/2012 at 12:47 PM, Fizz. said:

Which is why the thread says you can choose when you die at any given moment.

On 2/13/2012 at 12:48 PM, Shadow Stallion said:

Facehoof.

...omg, and I did the same damn thing.  Didn't bother to read it carefully.

On 2/13/2012 at 11:24 AM, I_wesley125 said:

You are also granted the ability to kill yourself by thought, incase you lack a means to do so.

1296235381647-(n1297333368977).jpg?12973

Buuuhhhh....  That'll learn me to not read the OP carefully.  Well, seems a shame to not post what I wrote, so... I'll just leave it like this.

Edited by Justin_Case001

• 1 year later...
(edited)
44 minutes ago, Pastel Heart said:

Sure, if I can bite the people I like and make them immortal too~

Edited by Splashee
  • Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

I think it would be better if I was able to kill myself not with a single thought but maybe if there was a ritual I had to go through instead?  Instead of it killing me on the spot, it would simply start the process of aging again.  If it were like that, sure, I'd totally go for it, I could pursue the arts more and have more time to master the craft.  I'd have more time to do things in my life that I probably wouldn't have time to do.  I could watch the events of mankind unfold without dying wondering what will happen to us 100 years down the road or whatever.  It'd be neat to see.

I'm gonna leave a quote from The Talos Principle here that basically sums up my feelings about the matter

If I had a genie right now, I'd wish for immortality. Who wouldn't? "Oh, but you wouldn't REALLY want to be immortal," the pseudo-philosophers say. Pretentious drivel! Everybody wants to live forever. Maybe everybody deserves to live forever, too.

But we can't, so here we are. Live with it.

Or rather, don't.

• Brohoof 1

Of course. Infinite time to pursue things and no fear of death to stop you. Never understood the goofy assumption that it will get boring or be torture. That is simply admission of one's own inability to be imaginative with their time.

• 3 years later...

Being able to live indefinitely and see how humanity progresses would be really cool. Having to watch every single person you know die before you do would not be really cool. 

in this scenario since you can still die intentionally I guess I’ll say yes… if nothing else it guarantees you won’t die from some freak accident or disease and can choose when you die.

• Brohoof 1