Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you like to be immortal?

I_wesley125

234 users have voted

1. 1. would u want to live 4 ever

• Live 4 Ever
    • live a normal life
    • Stare at the moon
    • how did i get here like seriously a minute ago i was looking up cat videos

Two things are wrong with immortality.

1) Boredom. in a few hundred you will have done everything. Been there done that will define your life from now on.

2) The longer you live the less you will have in common with the rest of humanity. You will cease to be human after a while. Humans will be unable to say anything you have not heard before a million times. Some guys here talk about partying for ever, but even in  our brief lifetimes the endless party end up boring and shallow.

Finite lives of humans will come and go. A pretty gal you liked, will end up dead if you procrastinate asking her out. Time, events, all will have no meaning for you. The endless dreary existence will be a curse.  My guess is the immortals will end up flying a ship into a black hole-even if they do not die, it will be a new experience.

what good is immortality if you have no one to share with?

I will take a short but sweet life, accept death, and explore immortality the way I was meant to. to quote the Mummy...death is just the beginning.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be nice but at the same time ups and downs.... 

I think I am alright living this one life we all have been given. It is a special thing given to us and we ought to be thankful for the things in our lives.

I would love to be immortal I believe that would be awesome especially since you can't become sick or injured. I would do everything in life. I would love to see how our civilization changes over thousands of years. Do we finally solve all the worlds problems? The only issue with immortality I see is the fact that you could become content with things and nothing would press me to do anything (I mean why do today when I literally have forever to do it).  As long as I got to choose the age of which my body was at all times then I would take immortality instantly.

I would only want immortality if I still had the ability to die normally, by injury or disease. Having to kill myself? That would be terrible. If I had to kill myself, I'd rather just live a normal life. After all, I value my life a bit more knowing I only have one shot at it. If I could survive everything, what would be the point? After a while, there wouldn't be anything else for me to do, and I would become horribly bored and depressed. I voted live forever, but if I ever got the chance, I might just refuse it.

(edited)

Life is change. And death is just a part of life. To accept that and try to make the best out of it is the real challenge. Many people fear to leave because they think they lose something, they didn't achieve something.

There is no point in living forever. And to think that it could be useful is probably just selfish. What could you do better than in a normal lifespan? Improve something? Who tells you, that you are right? And don't forget: As long as there are still people born or people living for a normal amount of years, there will always be change. Do you think, you can change forever? Or even at all?

The only thing I fear is being weak and sick when I am old. Not death itself. At least not that much that I would like to be immortal.

Edited by StatesTheOblivious

Yes I absolutely would! As long as I could chose myself whenever I want to end my life. I'd like to see the future, I can take the loss of my loved ones. Like.. I could travel across the world by feet!

And then when there are no more humans......

SNAP.

it would be kind cool being immortal.You would be able to see technology take over the world and then destroy all the robotic thincs without being kill by them.You would have to buy food aswell.

It depends what we mean. I wish to be unable to die through means of old age and such. However, I don't want to be able to get my head cut off and still be alive. That kind of immortality I do not want.

Even though I'd see all my loved ones die and such, I would be fine with immortality. One's mind would get used to such a thing, and we would eventually learn coping skills. That kind of stuff, I would not be worried about. For the first major depressing things such as death of all loved ones, it would be miserable, yes, but I would be immortal; I'd go through it so many times that I'd be numbed to it. 

I'm just afraid I'd get bored. 

Of course not, for all the obvious reasons (It's boring, you have to watch your loved ones wither and die, you'd be the only homo sapien while the rest of humanity evolves, etc.)

I would if i getto kill myself. So incase life gets too boring i could opt out. What i would do with my time on earth well i would get every college  degree ever. then travel to every corner of the world just by walking, swimming, ect. create world peace. destroy world peace. create world peace. Just cause i can.

(edited)

Immortality. Heh, funny thing that within 40-50 years we can achieve near immortality. I'd love to be immortal. I'd want to be there when everything begins, when everything's happening and ultimately when everything falls. I want to be there when empires start to form in our universe. I want to be there when we achieve a greater understanding of the brain and everything around us. There's one condition though. I want to have the ability decide when I die, wether it's extremely painful or not, I want to decide when I die, I wouldn't want to exist long enough to see the lives of many people I love end.

Edited by Winterbass

If the opportunity arouse and I was granted this power, I would take it. I'd use it to advance humanity in some way or another. Being Immortal, one thing I could do even though it goes against the will of the gods, is to act as a messenger and have followers. Change the world so all man is united and reach for the stars. Being immortal I'll have age and wisdom and also people who may think that the Gods have blessed me in that sense. If anything I'd freeze rather than die not because I want to be selfish but because once I deem humanity to be going in the right approach I'd freeze myself and wait to see what happens. At the expense of my happiness I'd bring a whole new world to existence. 

And having the ability to kill myself would allow me once humanity disappears from the universe and no other intelligent life be present I'd finally be able to sleep.  

Sure, I would choose to be immortal, since I can kill myself whenever. If I couldn't and would lie forever, I think I'll pass. Things would get pretty boring once humanity goes extinct. Could be fun to see how everything ends though.

• 2 weeks later...

I already hate being alive, so no thanks. I'd rather die than go through an eternity of living with no one but myself to keep me company. It doesn't sound like the kind of life I'd enjoy anyway. There is only so many things you can do by yourself before you grow bored of it all and want to end your life.

Wow, more people would like to be immortal than I expected.  Personally, I'm not sure I want to live to be older than fifty.  There's just only so much life I want to experience, considering how challenging it can be sometimes.

As much as i hate being human i would be immortal only because i would eventually find a way to come into power and wage a war of unification to unite the world under one banner so that we can start focusing on scientific advancement instead of the next cool weapon to kill ourselves with. War would be abolished and rebellion would not be tolerated. Even if that means becoming the tyrant in everyone's eyes, once i had the world in my hand, it would be for the betterment of humanity.

If you were presented the opportunity to be immortal, would you?

You are immune to injury and disease, the only way you can die is if you kill yourself.

You are also granted the ability to kill yourself by thought, incase you lack a means to do so.

Would you take it?

If not, what would you change in order to accept it?

Under those circumstances, I would definitely accept it.  I don't see any down side.  You get to choose to live as long as you want and die whenever you want.  The thing that makes immortality a scary concept is that you might end up getting buried alive for eternity or something.  If you could choose to die whenever you want, it is all win. 

(edited)

I'd rather be a mortal than an immortal.All stories have an end to them,and life is no exception to that rule.The ending is what makes the impact on the people around you.If you're immortal,what impact could you expect to make around others?

Re-read post and saw that I could choose to end my life when I desire to.If that's the case,then hell yeah do I want to be immortal.Live life as long as I wanted to and go out with a bang when I'm done with it.

Edited by CaptainBlue808

Sure. I don't really have a deep personal connection with anybody, so it wouldn't totally devastate me to see the people I know disappear. But I am rather interested in the future--evolution and stuff like that. So if I had a chance to be immortal without preying on other people (like a vampire), I'd probably take it.

Nahh. A normal life. I wouldn't want to outlive all of my loved ones. I would be lonely for the rest of time. I would rather be dead WITH my friends and family.