Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you like to be immortal?

I_wesley125

234 users have voted

1. 1. would u want to live 4 ever

• Live 4 Ever
    • live a normal life
    • Stare at the moon
    • how did i get here like seriously a minute ago i was looking up cat videos

Immortality is overrated.

Boredom is an issue that you will not be able to beat. Been there, done that will define your life.

But there is another issue at hand. The longer you live the less you will have in common with the lesser man. Vampires may start out with a good heart. But after a few hundred years, people are just food. they cannot hold up a conversation on your level of sophistication. They will have nothing in common with your personal tastes, your culture, your life. Eventually you would cease to be human.

and immortal will eventually turn evil...at least to the minds of ordinary men.Human life will have no importance to the immortal, he will sacrifice them on a whim. In the end humans will need to kill the immortal in their midst. And since they are unable to kill him, they will bury him alive under tons of rock and cement. burried alive, for all eternity. No madness can prepare you for a torment like that.

--in such a case, I wonder if an immortal will fossilize, still alive and screaming for millions of years.

No immortality for me.

Edited by Silverhoof
  • Brohoof 2

• 7 months later...

Just a question would u want to live 4 ever and if u could be given the option would u or would u want to live a normal life with a family and everything and be happy or live 4 even but out live everyone u now but have infinite knowledge

Edited by TechnoDash

I don't really have close bonds with the people in my life so I guess living forever it is. I'd have to grow a beard so I could wander the earth as the supreme wise guy.

Hell no, living forever would be a curse. Seeing all your family and loved ones die. Sure you can see great new civilizations rise and technology develop to extraordinary lengths but no thanks. Just show me the Detroit Lions winning the Super Bowl and then you can strike me down right after the victory parade.

I already got the beard covered. So staying alive forever and spreading the awesomeness of myself it is! I'll be the all wise Soviet Man who likes MLP.

My family is already almost completely dead....so no worrying there. The only problem is that MLP would get new voice actors eventually. I'll just stick to living in the forest and practicing drawing and writing until I am a god amongst men,

Edited by Comrade-Dimitri-Hammer

I probably would, but here's the thing. Would I still feel physical pain? Would something happen to me to get me emotionally scarred for the rest of my life? There's so many circumstances that are really stopping me from imagining on a scenario, so for me, it's hard to say.

So I get to be practically invulnerable to harm, and the ability to self-terminate?

Of course I would take the deal! Posted Image

I would travel around the world, see all the sight this planet could offer, experience all things humanity can get, and be a rich bastard. After a few centuries I would self-terminate, but of course after i wrote down everything from my journey

Edited by Star Weaver

Since I don't really have any real connections to anyone or thing, it would be a defiant yes from me, I would love to see the human race spread to the stars.

Now some interesting news!

http://www.tgdaily.c...tal-in-20-years

http://www.telegraph...-scientist.html

http://mysteriesunso...0years-ago.html

Immortality here I come ^.^

Edited by zRevenantz

Read "To Be an Alicorn" on deviantART. This would change a person's mind to be immortal forever.

So the answer is no, I would not want to see my friends and family die. If I don't make friends, then living forever without even experiencing friendship just isn't worth it.

Well if I have the option to end my life whenever, of course! I would love to see things change, history happen, and help humanity through it all. With all that time, I can do so much for humanity. And when everything and everyone I love dies, or I go insane from doing the same things everyday, I can "retire" from life lol. Now one more factor that's very important is aging. I may not take this if I'm still going to be aging the whole time D:

person's mind to be immortal forever.

Just read it, I have to say it really didn't change my mind at all.

Heres a question for you, would you change your mind if you friends became immortal as well?

Normally I'd say no, because immortality would be unimaginable torture after some time. However, this case allows me to kill myself, even by thought, so I'd say yes. Not to actually be immortal, but to be guaranteed a normal-length life.

I think there's one big problem here. The question is logically incoherent.

You are asking whether you'd like to be immortal with the ability to kill yourself. The two are entirely contradictory.

If you can kill yourself, then you aren't immortal.

Personally, watching everyone die around me would sting for only the first 100 years or so. I'd get used to it after a while.

But "immortality" isn't really what I'd like, in this sense anyway. Personally, I'd prefer "immortal health:" it's hard to explain, but things like cuts and such would just heal instantly, and any sicknesses would not affect me. If you ever saw Jackie Chan Adventures (it's on Netflix, watch it now) this is pretty much the Horse Talisman. I'd prefer that over immortality any day.

I would take that offer for sure; think of all the things that we will never see in our lifetimes. We will not witness the colonization of Mars or the rest of our solar system; we will never meet our great-great-great-great grandchildren; we will never get to play Half Life 3.

Think of all the possibilities eternal life brings, as well as a means of ending our adventure when it no longer brings us happiness.

Edited by Heisenbrony

Short answer: No. I wouldn't want to see my friends, family, and society I grew to know and love die around me, and also I wouldn't get to go to heaven (yes, I'm a Christian).

Reference/deeper analysis: The only story that truly intrigued me on this subject was the video game Mother 3. In the character of King Porky, you see the only type of man who would want and go to huge lengths to actually acheive this, and how messed up he is:

He hated everyone, so he wanted to live past them and see them die, to watch them exit his life.

He wanted to live until the end of the world so he would be the only one. Alone, and not have to be made fun of or hated anymore.

I'm sure nopony here would be like he was, or want what he did. I'm just sayin that this is the kind of motivation which would drive a "yes" answer from some.

If I could be immortal, then I feel I could finally properly actualize my favorite hobbies, watching and listening. I would just be a minor deity, watching the world revolve while I sucked it in like good TV, free of worry, obligations, fear.

True there would be times of boredom and certainly stress. But life would no longer be about me. All I did, or didn't do, would simply be about everything else, or the observation of everything else at the very least. Without my well being in the equation, all that's left is...everything!

In a nutshell...yes, I would very much like immortality, and with your little 'ability to kill oneself' cop out, even more so. Considering if I ever stopped liking it I wouldn't have to live on in regret.

Edited by Blackcat

i wouldnt be immortal if there was no way for me to die, i see being alive that long as a punishment, but as you added the whole end your life thing then yeh i would like to be immortal as i would have all the time in the world to do everything and end it when i have fulfilled what i always wanted to do.

Being able to kill yourself by thought is the kind of thing that would not lead to a very good life -- That could be interpreted as the slightest suicidal urge you got means you are now dead.

Now, if it was that if you astrally travelled to the higher planes and resided there beyond your capacity to survive there then you would pass on as if you had died -- that is a more reasonable terminating condition.

I do have a certain weakness for immortality, even with the knowledge that I do have. I would be interested in taking a turn on the wheel as an alicorn in equestria.

I have no trouble whatsoever with the outliving of comrades aspect of immortality.

Edited by silvadel

I'd wait for technology to evolve to such a level that I could become a cyborg. Then I'd take over the world and kill anyone in opposition to my rule. I'd travel the world for a thousand years or so, then kill myself because of boredom.

Normal life. If I were immortal, we'd have to experience the terrible things that happen year to year. Also, you have to remember that the stresses that come with every day life will be there as well. You will still have to work day by day to get by.

If I were to accept it, everything around me would have to be immortal as well. TV/internet would have to live on, the world would have to live on, my friends would have to live on. A nice bonus would also be the worries and stresses would have to disappear.

Too picky, rather would die.