Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Any Video Game Collectors Floating Around?

The Historian

Are there any other fellow video game collecting enthusiasts around here? I imagine at least or two must be around. I'm probably, like always, the odd man out being the one who collects, primarily, PC games. Short of the Facebook groups I'm in, I'm always the oddball collecting big box PC games. :p

Here's a few random pieces of my collection:
https://i.imgur.com/m5EOHvj.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/prTtEFl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/4LxX47u.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ePRa8MK.jpg

No, that's not even close to a tenth of what I have overall. xD I've got shelves, boxes and tables full of stuff.

Anywho, any other fellow collectors of video games and video game accessories?

• Brohoof 1

I could be considered a collector, seeing as I sometimes go out of my way to acquire old games. I don't have much of my own money, so I haven't been able to collect as much as I wish.

Watching MetalJesusRocks always make me want to, but retro video games can be expensive to collect for and I am pretty cheap. MJR likes collecting big box PC games as well. Personally, it doesn't interest me as I never really had a PC capable of playing games on, but to each their own.

Edited by joanro
  • Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, Cash In said:

I could be considered a collector, seeing as I sometimes go out of my way to acquire old games. I don't have much of my own money, so I haven't been able to collect as much as I wish.

If you're angling for console games, it's brutally expensive. Looked at collecting some NES and Super NES favorites. Expensive as balls.

21 minutes ago, joanro said:

Watching MetalJesusRocks always make me want to, but retro video games can be expensive to collect for and I am pretty cheap. MJR likes collecting big box PC games as well. Personally, it doesn't interest me as I never really had a PC capable of playing games on, but to each their own.

You can safely ignore MJR. The downside to his popularity is that his videos make game prices skyrocket for whatever title he made a video about. Collecting big box PC games is all about collecting games from a golden era. Back when you got cool things in the boxes like maps and coins, and didn't need to spent outrageous amounts on some stupid "collector's edition." Finding a deal on what you're after is always the best part.

I am a collector myself. Though, I regretted leaving a lot of my games back in the states, but I am trying to get a lot of them back. I currently have like... almost 60 PS4 games I know. Huge supporter of physical media.

4 hours ago, Kzr haekS said:

I am a collector myself. Though, I regretted leaving a lot of my games back in the states, but I am trying to get a lot of them back. I currently have like... almost 60 PS4 games I know. Huge supporter of physical media.

Physical media is underrated. I get the convenience of digital but things like LRG prove that people do still want physical goods. Then again, I collect things that came long before the era of digital goods.

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, The Historian said:

Physical media is underrated. I get the convenience of digital but things like LRG prove that people do still want physical goods. Then again, I collect things that came long before the era of digital goods.

Same, I’m trying to rebuild my SNES collection up. Also just got a Sega Genesis for free.

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Brony_2A said:

I have about 2700 video games, mostly console. I love old games.

I'm the reverse. Mostly PC, though not into the 1000s quite yet. I got some cool stuff in recently though. Might have to make a thread or some such for my updates. :p

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, The Historian said:

I'm the reverse. Mostly PC, though not into the 1000s quite yet. I got some cool stuff in recently though. Might have to make a thread or some such for my updates. :p

Do you buy to collect or to play? I mean, how do you play old games? Some kind of backward compatibility or old computers?

On 3/26/2019 at 2:20 AM, The Historian said:

If you're angling for console games, it's brutally expensive. Looked at collecting some NES and Super NES favorites. Expensive as balls.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I was looking into a couple of SNES games and I really couldn't believe some of the prices. I guess it's warranted given how old they are, but I still feel that it can be overkill sometimes.

• Brohoof 1

15 hours ago, Brony_2A said:

Do you buy to collect or to play? I mean, how do you play old games? Some kind of backward compatibility or old computers?

A little bit of both. Some games have modern releases like the Doom franchise, but I want the physical releases. I'm in the process of getting old hardware to play some of this stuff on, though I may not for any floppy-based media. The disks are very fragile and I'd rather play on an emulator or with disk images on original hardware. Damaging the disks is not something I want to do.

3 hours ago, Cash In said:

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I was looking into a couple of SNES games and I really couldn't believe some of the prices. I guess it's warranted given how old they are, but I still feel that it can be overkill sometimes.

It's not warranted. Prices for games ~10 years ago was reasonable and you didn't need to empty your life savings to get a complete copy of, say, Chrono Trigger. Thanks to youtubers and idiots paying high prices, said prices have inflated over time. Thankfully the PC market hasn't gotten that bad, except from notable developers like id Games, LucasArts or Sierra.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, The Historian said:

It's not warranted. Prices for games ~10 years ago was reasonable and you didn't need to empty your life savings to get a complete copy of, say, Chrono Trigger. Thanks to youtubers and idiots paying high prices, said prices have inflated over time. Thankfully the PC market hasn't gotten that bad, except from notable developers like id Games, LucasArts or Sierra.

I find that it depends on the game, 
for example my mum got Donkey Kong Country for like £25 (~$50, because things here are more expensive due to the exchange rate, even if we make less),
when we'd need to pay like £200 for Legend of Zelda:Link to the past on the SNES,
I only own the GBA version.

and I am a casual collecter of games

• Brohoof 1