Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

EQG's character design is bad. (edit : I think-)

Sepul-Coloratura

Which Twilight do I prefer (the picture below↓)  

21 users have voted

1. 1. Which Twilight do I prefer (the picture below↓)

• The first one
    • The second one
    • I don't see the difference

Just now, Amanita said:

I honestly don’t really like Equestria Girls, but probably not for the reason you’re thinking... The reason I don’t like is simply this: I CAN’T FRIGGIN DRAW THEM 

Call me crazy, or untalented if you will, but I’ve tried and tried and tried! Nothing works, maybe it’s just my style of drawing humans that won’t let it work though? Because the proportions are all messed up?

Compared to the pony drawings, doesn't people usually make their own versions of EQG adaptation when drawing, relatively speaking?

14 hours ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

ots of characters including Celestia and Luna looks wired and awkward, sort of eerie vibe that I could only explain right now by comparing it to a blackface actors from the 19th century. And Celestia looks exactly like a Pharaoh's mask from ancient Egypt. Oh, and even all the character's fashion choices were ugly too. There are many fan drawing and vector images out there that made the characters look so much better while yet keeping the original pony character feeling

Oh.. I agree.. Although some of the drawings look fine, celestia and Luna (and cadence) are very badly drew.. But I'm not saying I dislike the eqg series.. The storyline is fine.. But the drawings.. Uhh.. :mlp_maud:

• Brohoof 1

On 3/25/2019 at 9:51 AM, Sepul-Coloratura said:

The big shiny eyes were the key factor that made ponies cute especially in Gen 4, but in this case, they are slightly dipping their toes into the uncanny valley. (many badly drawn anime girls are notorious of this same issue.)

The eyes are really big because the character design is still aiming for cuteness, so the reflections help offset the characters' large pupils. 

Even the creators of EQG themselves made a better version of the characters and included in the first movie. I can't wrap my head around why they didn't make the rest of the franchise that the characters look like this.

Human_Main_5_freshman_photo_EG.thumb.png.0fcf061fba8c77206ce7c32d2b32c36b.png

This is so much better. They feel much more like the original pony counterparts, they feel much more human, and they kept the juvenile and innocent nature of ponies. And most of all, even while their heads and eyes are huge, they don't look awful. It's not close to perfect, but why they didn't go with this design? They even got the clothes right. (I still don't know what's with all those huge boots.) Fortunately, the recent animations cleaned up some of these problems like clothing and movements, but it is still a half-fixed mess.

I don't mind Equestria Girls but I do agree that a style kinda like this might be better. I think the reason the current proportions were used is because Hasbro was trying to sell a very specific type of toy, which admittedly has its own problems. But I also think these designs look younger than the designers were aiming for. 

The other big part that bothers me is it isn't hard to make it look better! Look at what I did in 3 minutes, and they had all the time to do it in the studio!

Equestria-Girls-Digital-Series-Twilight-Sparkle-official-artwork-my-little-pony-equestria-girls-the-digital-series-41173396-1030-1546.thumb.png.258a52602ed3a4aff8749a979e50e632.pngEquestria-Girls-Digital-Series-Twilight-Sparkle-official-artwork-my-little-pony-equestria-girls-the-digital-series-41173396-1030-1546(2).thumb.png.756f419f82acecf634762c186e0fd752.png(Don't look back to the first one after seeing the second one. It might hurt your brain.)

I'm so used to the first one that it's the second one which looks weird to me now, but ultimately I don't think the difference is that big of a deal. The heads are a little too big as is, but it doesn't bother me that much, and I don't think shrinking the head actually makes that big of a difference. What stands out to me about these character designs is facial expressions and colour schemes, which I think this show does very well. I mean, the idle promo images of the ponies don't interest me that much either. 

(I don't like the adult characters' designs either, though; too much emphasis on being different, not enough on being cute.)

On 3/25/2019 at 2:15 PM, Sepul-Coloratura said:

I was aware of these figure series. I think this interpretation of ponies are more true to the characters. You can just look and them and easily guess what kind of character they are. And Japan is very good at character building based on archetypes.

These designs are very good but for some reason Pinkie's hair doesn't look right to me. It's too... normal. 

Edited by AlexanderThrond
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...

I used to don't mind the EQG designs, but looking back on it, I hated it.

It looked so unnatural, uncanny, and it looked like Hasbro trying to cash in on Monster High.

And don't even get me started on the fan service (especially the beach scenes)...

I said it before: I'm not the biggest fan of EqG and I don't know what to think about it. There a several things which I was not in favor but also had few things which were interesting. I think this EqG character design has something to do wit it too. It always feels strange to me, if I see the EqG girls. On the other hand

On 2019-03-25 at 8:31 PM, Goat-kun said:

Pssst, Anon-san. Kotchi, kotchi 3Y6uKBJ.png

1209121166_Dy3oiRUUcAE7UcC.jpglarge.thumb.jpg.a91d0ac04a589a0ebfe19023b0ccf436.jpg

I'm far more in favor of these designs. Still feels strange to see the mane six in human form to be honest, but not as much as EqG designs. Also if I remember back: At first I needed also some time to get used to watching pony characters. So I'm much more open to these.

As for Twilight's design (see first post): I see the differences, but I don't prefer any of these two designs.

• Brohoof 1

I've never watched EqG and I will never watch it. B) One of the main reasons being how they look. :stressed: It's rather unavoidable when I'm looking for FiM pictures to post because EqG material almost always pops up. :wacko: Honestly, they look hideous to me. It was a horrible idea in the first place to even consider doing that to them and making a stupid hip, trendy and anime-esque thing for modern teenagers. :mlp_wat: They look way too tall, the hair is disgusting and the facial expressions are ugly:blink: If I ever even considered imagining how the Mane Six would look as humans, they would not look like this. Aside from possibly Rarity, none of them look in any way good at all. :( Nerdy Twilight does look quite attractive however. 

Whenever I see anything from EqG, I don't at all see the ponies I love, I see complete and utter imposters. :worry: There are other reasons why I don't like it too such as giving them phones (WHY?!) and STUPID teenage romances! :angry: (The Mane Six are not teenagers!) but the designs are definitely the core reason why for as long as I live, I will never watch it.

I'm just glad it's not in any way canon to FiM because if they suddenly came out and said that it was or snuck in a reference, I would've actually left the fandom. 

• Brohoof 1

I don't really think much about Equestria Girls, let alone the character design. They felt rather plain to say the least, but I wouldn't say that's a bad thing since I think if it's any more real than that and we have an uncanny valley situation.

1 hour ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

I've never watched EqG and I will never watch it. B) One of the main reasons being how they look. :stressed: It's rather unavoidable when I'm looking for FiM pictures to post because EqG material almost always pops up. :wacko: Honestly, they look hideous to me. It was a horrible idea in the first place to even consider doing that to them and making a stupid hip, trendy and anime-esque thing for modern teenagers. :mlp_wat: They look way too tall, the hair is disgusting and the facial expressions are ugly:blink: If I ever even considered imagining how the Mane Six would look as humans, they would not look like this. Aside from possibly Rarity, none of them look in any way good at all. :( Nerdy Twilight does look quite attractive however. 

Whenever I see anything from EqG, I don't at all see the ponies I love, I see complete and utter imposters. :worry: There are other reasons why I don't like it too such as giving them phones (WHY?!) and STUPID teenage romances! :angry: (The Mane Six are not teenagers!) but the designs are definitely the core reason why for as long as I live, I will never watch it.

I'm just glad it's not in any way canon to FiM because if they suddenly came out and said that it was or snuck in a reference, I would've actually left the fandom. 

Just listen to their music then.... Them the bomb.. specially the remix.

1 minute ago, Sparkly sparks said:

the fact that rainbow dash decides to wear a skirt instead of short/pants still makes no sense to me

she would never

See? I knew they were imposters!!!! :angry:

• Brohoof 2

5 minutes ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

See? I knew they were imposters!!!! :angry:

the real rainbow dash hates that frau frau nonsense

applejack works on a farm

rarity doesnt look nearly glamorous enough to be normal

this is all so wrong:worry:

• Brohoof 1

15 hours ago, JMTV99 said:

I used to don't mind the EQG designs, but looking back on it, I hated it.

It looked so unnatural, uncanny, and it looked like Hasbro trying to cash in on Monster High.

And don't even get me started on the fan service (especially the beach scenes)...

it had fanservice????

THEY PUT A BEACH EPISODE IN THERE WHAT

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Sparkly sparks said:

the real rainbow dash hates that frau frau nonsense

applejack works on a farm

rarity doesnt look nearly glamorous enough to be normal

this is all so wrong:worry:

I knew they weren’t the ponies I know! I knew it all along!! 

• Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, Sparkly sparks said:

it had fanservice????

THEY PUT A BEACH EPISODE IN THERE WHAT

I'm not joking. Go watch Forgotten Friendship because it has plenty of that and some of the EQG shorts too like the Yacht one and the majority of S1 Better Together shorts.:(

It's like Hasbro intentionally and shamelessly wanted to make the MLP characters look hot and sexy as possible just to fit with the toys and have the brony fanbase going 'goo goo ga ga' over it. I don't know about you, but it just didn't really feel right to me. I can understand the if MLP characters wearing swimsuits was through fanart and made by fans, but the fact that it was made officially made by toy company, oof.

Just be glad the CMCs were not involved.

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, JMTV99 said:

I'm not joking. Go watch Forgotten Friendship because it has plenty of that and some of the EQG shorts too like the Yacht one and the majority of S1 Better Together shorts.:(

It's like Hasbro intentionally and shamelessly wanted to make the MLP characters look hot and sexy as possible just to fit with the toys and have the brony fanbase going 'goo goo ga ga' over it. I don't know about you, but it just didn't really feel right to me. I can understand the if MLP characters wearing swimsuits was through fanart and made by fans, but the fact that it was made officially made by toy company, oof.

how on earth did they get away with that?

and why didnt the actual ponies get a beach episode?

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Sparkly sparks said:

how on earth did they get away with that?

and why didnt the actual ponies get a beach episode?

To answer both of those questions:

• Brohoof 2

5 hours ago, Sparkly sparks said:

the fact that rainbow dash decides to wear a skirt instead of short/pants still makes no sense to me

she would never

Thankfully she stopped

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, JMTV99 said:

That is actually appalling. What were they thinking? :stressed:

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I recall reading something about this when the first one came out, it was a garbage political article but I seem to recall a quote from Hasbro saying something to the likes of "they were designed to be comical to avoid the "all teens should have bodies like this" that other toy lines have"

Edited by TheGleaner
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)
49 minutes ago, Sparkly sparks said:

but who's idea was it to put a farmer and the fastest pony in equestria in skirts to begin with?

it makes no sense whatsoever

1) It's easier to produce for dolls

2) the whole "being tomboys shouldn't wear skirts" complaint is one hell of a generalization. They should be allowed to wear whatever they want

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)
17 hours ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

I knew they weren’t the ponies I know! I knew it all along!! 

15 hours ago, JMTV99 said:

Beach themes are standard fare for doll-lines and even then, their beach wear was incredibly tame compared to what we normally see

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Megas said:

Beach themes are incredibly normal for doll-lines and even then, their beach wear was incredibly tame compared to what we normally see

lets just be glad it wasnt anime level beach episode

shudders

1 hour ago, Megas said:

1) It's easier to produce for dolls

2) the whole "being tomboys shouldn't wear skirts" complaint is one hell of a generalization. They should be allowed to wear whatever they want

pretty ironic

they would've sold way better if they were tomboys

• Brohoof 2