Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who is Grogar?

Ayvid_Reader

So MLP: FIM is the first of the whole MLP series that I've actually watched. This season is the first I'm ever hearing of this Grogar villain, but it seems everyone else here knows who he is. Did I miss something? I've watched each of the episodes at least three times (if not more) and I don't recall him being talked about at all. I'm with Cozyglow on this. I know they explained his past in the first two epsidoes, but I was wondering if there was more to it though. Is he from past generations or is he completely new?

Please be nice.

• Brohoof 1

Like Tirek, Grogar started off as a Generation 1 villain.  In the original series, he was this demonic ram who was said to have controlled the city of Tambelon, which once ruled Dream Valley and Pony Land 500 years ago.  His power came from a magic bell that melted when the Ancient Bell in Tambelon was rung.  He was also very abusive towards his minions like Bray the Donkey AND the Troggles.   In the Return of Tambelon, his goal was to capture every creature and banish them to the Dark Realm.

• Brohoof 5

He was mentioned in FiM previously as well. I think it was in the episode where Twilight was babysitting Flurryheart, he was the villain the book she was reading. 

• Brohoof 2

He's going to be cut in half with a lightsaber halfway through season 9 and we won't know anything about him anymore :love: .

Jk, because we already have just a bit of backstory to him than characters who suffered a fate as stated in the former.

And it looks like he didn't appear out of nowhere either, as it appears he has made appearances before :wacko: .

8 hours ago, Ganondox said:

He was mentioned in FiM previously as well. I think it was in the episode where Twilight was babysitting Flurryheart, he was the villain the book she was reading. 

A Flurry of Emotions is the specific name of the episode. Indeed is true, his name was dropped as a children’s story, alongside Gusty the Great, who also turned out to be real

• Brohoof 2

10 hours ago, SaburoDaimando said:

Like Tirek, Grogar started off as a Generation 1 villain.  In the original series, he was this demonic ram

Finally someone referring to him as a ram! I keep seeing people calling him a goat.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

He's a magical warlord ram who has the ability to shoot lightning and make cages from his horns. The bell around his neck connects to a larger bell that holds his magic. He also had an army of enslaved Troggles under his command, as well as a donkey named Bray. He almost succeeded in conquering Dream Valley.

He was also not afraid to get physical and tried to charge and trample Spike and several of the ponies.

He was defeated when  North Star, (not Gusty,) flew back into the castle and rung the bell to break his power.

His goal was to conquer ponyland and he decided to send the ponies into the realm of darkness when they proved to be too troublesome to be slaves.

He was a typical 80s villain personality. Mean, cruel and abusive to his lackeys.

Edited by Leave a Whisper
  • Brohoof 2

17 hours ago, SaburoDaimando said:

Like Tirek, Grogar started off as a Generation 1 villain.  In the original series, he was this demonic ram who was said to have controlled the city of Tambelon, which once ruled Dream Valley and Pony Land 500 years ago.  His power came from a magic bell that melted when the Ancient Bell in Tambelon was rung.  He was also very abusive towards his minions like Bray the Donkey AND the Troggles.   In the Return of Tambelon, his goal was to capture every creature and banish them to the Dark Realm.

Ah ok. That explains why I didn't know who he was. Thank you.

16 hours ago, Ganondox said:

8 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

A Flurry of Emotions is the specific name of the episode. Indeed is true, his name was dropped as a children’s story, alongside Gusty the Great, who also turned out to be real

Thank you both. I remember the episode and vaguely remember the story she was reading more in the sense I remember she read one. I'll have to go back and rewatch it now lol.

2 hours ago, Leave a Whisper said:

He's a magical warlord ram who has the ability to shoot lightning and make cages from his horns. The bell around his neck connects to a larger bell that holds his magic. He also had an army of enslaved Troggles under his command, as well as a donkey named Bray. He almost succeeded in conquering Dream Valley.

He was also not afraid to get physical and tried to charge and trample Spike and several of the ponies.

He was defeated when  North Star, (not Gusty,) flew back into the castle and rung the bell to break his power.

His goal was to conquer ponyland and he decided to send the ponies into the realm of darkness when they proved to be too troublesome to be slaves.

He was a typical 80s villain personality. Mean, cruel and abusive to his lackeys.

Oh wow he sounds like he may be intense depending on how they change his character to reflect the shows ideas. Thank you!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
3 hours ago, Ayvid_Reader said:

Ah ok. That explains why I didn't know who he was. Thank you.

Thank you both. I remember the episode and vaguely remember the story she was reading more in the sense I remember she read one. I'll have to go back and rewatch it now lol.

Oh wow he sounds like he may be intense depending on how they change his character to reflect the shows ideas. Thank you!

I highly suggest watching Return of Tambelon to get a better feel for him. Its a good episode, with creepy medieval imagery, a top tier baddie who didn't put up with incompetence or betrayal, some intelligent tactics used against him and a good victory song.

Edited by Leave a Whisper

4 hours ago, Leave a Whisper said:

I highly suggest watching Return of Tambelon to get a better feel for him. Its a good episode, with creepy medieval imagery, a top tier baddie who didn't put up with incompetence or betrayal, some intelligent tactics used against him and a good victory song.

I'll have to see if I can find it somewhere.

And it seems that they have carried a bit of that over to FIM for him. Gotta wonder if the banishing to the dark realm will added back to his character later on

6 hours ago, bwrosas said:

And it seems that they have carried a bit of that over to FIM for him. Gotta wonder if the banishing to the dark realm will added back to his character later on

Ooh that would be interesting, but if it's like the rest of the show they will try to reform him before doing that.

I didn't know who he was until coming to the forums, as I had never watched G1. But he was the main antagonist in a year long forum event right here, leading into S9. 

It really seems like Sombra may originally have been a repackaged Grogar. A lot of their backstories and behavior match up pretty well. But for better or worse, G1 had something G4 never did beyond 2-part premieres or finales. Overarching storylines. But is sounds like S9 will actually be that - a chess game between good and evil.