Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is Spike considered a "main character"?

FlareGun45

I've been speculating Spike for many years, sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong - mostly wrong, and alot ain't even answered yet! But there is one thing about Spike that I just don't understand the most! It's not the origins, it's not Sparity, it might have something to do with his destiny but I'm not sure; none of those, it's this: why is Spike considered a "main character" by the staff?

He's done alot in the show, but I wouldn't consider them "main character-worthy", more like in the same spot as Starlight, the Student 6, and Discord, only difference is, he hasn't had a heroic role in a finale yet. The staff may call him that, but how are they gonna PROVE it? Appearing with the Mane 6 all the time doesn't answer the question, and it's not even all the time - sometimes Starlight's with them or Discord, and both did the same amount of saving and support as Spike did. So why aren't THEY main characters? Why isn't Spike considered a supporting character instead? He coulda been in Starlight's group in the season 6 finale and avoid this whole speculation - the staff coulda just said 6 main characters, it was always the Mane SIX, only Mane 7 in Equestria Girls! But they didn't, and that's so weird!

I can't be the only one that sees this. Something's obviously coming for Spike - we just dunno what it is, and the show's just misleading us with his supporting roles. Hell, in the season 9 promos, Spike's in front of the entire group now right in front of the screen! Episode 200 is dedicated to the "5 VAs that brought us this far", four are Tara, Tabitha, Andrea, and Asheligh, and the fifth is Cathy!

I know most of you aren't gonna believe me, but something doesn't add up with him! Only I seem to see it! To me: what makes a main character is how involved they are in the story - not just appearances, and his involvement ties with Starlight and Discord.

Edited by FlareGun45

The upcoming episode is called "Twilight's Seven", so that pretty much confirms Spike's status as a main character. Don't forget that without him, there is no Crystal Empire, Dragon Land, or Changeling Kingdom the way they are. As a character who has actively changed the world around him, I feel that his status as a main character is well-deserved. :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 6

This is my most simple answer in a while:

Because since the beginning, he's been a part of the Mane Cast. Heck, in the Friendship Castle, he was given his own "Throne" next to Twilight's in the Cutie Map Room. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
20 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

This is my most simple answer in a while:

Because since the beginning, he's been a part of the Mane Cast. Heck, in the Friendship Castle, he was given his own "Throne" next to Twilight's in the Cutie Map Room. 

It's not explained WHY he has a throne though. Everyone else has a throne cause they're the elements. Spike... who knows? Maybe he's connected to the elements in some way then? That's the only possible explanation that I know of.

28 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

The upcoming episode is called "Twilight's Seven", so that pretty much confirms Spike's status as a main character. Don't forget that without him, there is no Crystal Empire, Dragon Land, or Changeling Kingdom the way they are. As a character who has actively changed the world around him, I feel that his status as a main character is well-deserved. :fluttershy:

And without Starlight there's no Changeling Kingdom the way it is or Equestria due to the Pony of Shadows, and no Equestria if Discord hadn't helped out with that Changeling Kingdom thing, helped defeat Tirek, and gave the Mane Six confidence to defeat Sombra. And the Student 6 defeated Cozy on their own. See?

Edited by FlareGun45
  • Brohoof 1

I don't even know why he got to see the Treehouse of Harmony and most of the rest of the Mane Six didn't. He didn't even have anything to do with the destruction of the old Tree of Harmony anyways.

2 hours ago, FlareGun45 said:

It's not explained WHY he has a throne though. Everyone else has a throne cause they're the elements. Spike... who knows? Maybe he's connected to the elements in some way then? That's the only possible explanation that I know of.

Because the Tree gave him some respect. Not everything has to be explained and spoon fed to its audience. Sometimes, I feel your questions have the simplest answer and you're coming off as "They didn't explain it, therefore it's a bad thing". Which in my opinion is a pretty petty way of complaining. Be grateful that Spike has gotten respect and honor from the Big Good of the Equestria World. Spike himself never question why he was given a throne. He'd be happy as long as he gets to help his friends.

Edited by Will Guide

2 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

I couldn't have agreed more :P 

I like Spike. Even when he had his own bad apples from time to time, his character progression has come a long way and I'm glad he improved over the years  ^^

• Brohoof 1

15 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

Because the Tree gave him some respect. Not everything has to be explained and spoon fed to its audience. Sometimes, I feel your questions have the simplest answer and you're coming off as "They didn't explain it, therefore it's a bad thing". Which in my opinion is a pretty petty way of complaining. Be grateful that Spike has gotten respect and honor from the Big Good of the Equestria World. Spike himself never question why he was given a throne. He'd be happy as long as he gets to help his friends.

Alright can't argue with that. But there's definitely something coming for him! I know it to be sure! Just dunno what it is yet! His character description mentions a "destiny". No joke, look it up, it was from the Movie Art Book and in the plushy I got of him, and Meghan referenced it one time, you can find it on his character description on Wikipedia. 3 places? Can't be a typo then! No need to complain about his role if there's something coming! ;) 

The sad thing is, he works best when he's a SUPPORT character (Lesson Zero, The Crystalling, Gauntlet of Fire) and every time he's been the main character, the episode is a hot mess (Equestria Games, Spike At Your Service, Princess Spike, Power Ponies)

So long as they don't actually follow up on Spike's claims of being important (the show's been VERY good at ignoring potential plot threadst; ie, Cutie Map, Student Six, Starlight Glimmer back in Season 5)

On 4/13/2019 at 4:26 PM, FlareGun45 said:

Appearing with the Mane 6 all the time doesn't answer the question, and it's not even all the time - sometimes Starlight's with them or Discord, and both did the same amount of saving and support as Spike did. So why aren't THEY main characters? 

I would argue that Starlight and the student 6 are main characters, and if the staff don't agree, then that's what I'm confused by. My criteria has always been that any character who is regularly the focus of episodes is a main character. Spike has at least one such episode every season. Last year he had two!

On 4/13/2019 at 5:10 PM, FlareGun45 said:

The thrones are a representation of Twilight's closest friendships. Spike, to put it very lightly, is one of Twilight's closest friends. Mystery solved. 

On 4/13/2019 at 5:18 PM, FirePuppy said:

I don't even know why he got to see the Treehouse of Harmony and most of the rest of the Mane Six didn't. He didn't even have anything to do with the destruction of the old Tree of Harmony anyways.

You mean in the latest episode? It's because he was with Twilight at the time. Presumably tons of other characters will see it in time. 

Just now, AlexanderThrond said:

I would argue that Starlight and the student 6 are main characters, and if the staff don't agree, then that's what I'm confused by. My criteria has always been that any character who is regularly the focus of episodes is a main character. Spike has at least one such episode every season. Last year he had two!

The thrones are a representation of Twilight's closest friendships. Spike, to put it very lightly, is one of Twilight's closest friends. Mystery solved. 

Yes that first one is definitely true! That's what I said earlier in the post! CMCs as well! Though, as of late....

Mystery not really solved cause she has other close friends too like Starlight (though she wasn't at the time, but she is now), Celestia and Luna? Cadance? Moon Dancer?

Just now, FlareGun45 said:

Starlight

Wasn't there at the time, and like Discord, arguably isn't quite ready yet. Maybe she's getting there, though. 

2 minutes ago, FlareGun45 said:

Celestia and Luna? 

Very different relationship. Besides, they technically already have thrones. 

3 minutes ago, FlareGun45 said:

Cadance? 

I think they have a (very slightly) more distant relationship, if only because they live further away. And like the other princesses, Cadance already has a throne. 

4 minutes ago, FlareGun45 said:

Moon Dancer?

I do not believe that Moondancer is one of Twilight's closest friends. 

On 4/14/2019 at 7:55 PM, TheTaZe said:

Is he one? I guess. He seems more like the Mane Six's punching bag to me.

Don't talk nonsense. He's not the Mane 6's punching bag in-universe. If he's a punching bag, then his episodes were simply not written well.

5 hours ago, Will Guide said:

Don't talk nonsense. He's not the Mane 6's punching bag in-universe. If he's a punching bag, then his episodes were simply not written well.

Sweet and Smoky will hopefully not let that happen.

I say that Spike is a main character for three reasons:

1) He appeared first on the show with Twilight to introduce the whole story and world.

2) Episodes were made with Spike as lead character.

3) He has had significant impact on the success of the mane 6 against villains.

So he's obviously not a background character, nor is he a fill in. He's Twilight's sidekick! So if Robin, and Hermione, and The Hulk, and 9S, and Olaf, and Patrick are 'main' characters in their stories then so is Spike.

All characters apart from the main protagonist, in our case Twilight, are in fact support characters.

So it's just matter of what you mean by 'main', and apparently your view differs from the creators.

To be honest, Starlight breaks a lot of storytelling rules, which is why I suspect many don't like her involvement in the show. But Spike is totally orthodox as a sidekick.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Mirage said:

I say that Spike is a main character for three reasons:

1) He appeared first on the show with Twilight to introduce the whole story and world.

2) Episodes were made with Spike as lead character.

3) He has had significant impact on the success of the mane 6 against villains.

So he's obviously not a background character, nor is he a fill in. He's Twilight's sidekick! So if Robin, and Hermione, and The Hulk, and 9S, and Olaf, and Patrick are 'main' characters in their stories then so is Spike.

All characters apart from the main protagonist, in our case Twilight, are in fact support characters.

So it's just matter of what you mean by 'main', and apparently your view differs from the creators.

To be honest, Starlight breaks a lot of storytelling rules, which is why I suspect many don't like her involvement in the show. But Spike is totally orthodox as a sidekick.

And now it's about time he got a promotion. He's been in the same position for all these seasons and still treated inferior despite all he's done and all the help he provided! Surprised he hasn't snapped yet. It's only a matter of time! Sidekicks ALWAYS get that one episode where they either snap or villain tries to lure them away with promises and false rumors about the ones help out!

• Brohoof 1

Because he’s been In the show since the beginning and has episodes focused on him every season. And has appeared in most episode of the series. 

I don't know what his destiny is. He is sorta elevated with the rest of the mane 6 both by proxy AND merit (let's not forget his stunning courage and faith by sticking up for Thorax and basically triggering the redemption of the Changlings).

4 minutes ago, Mirage said:

I don't know what his destiny is. He is sorta elevated with the rest of the mane 6 both by proxy AND merit (let's not forget his stunning courage and faith by sticking up for Thorax and basically triggering the redemption of the Changlings).

Yes I agree with that 100%! Unfortunately though, the writers seem to be forgetting about Spike and Thorax's friendship by teaming Thorax up with Starlight or Ember. I really thought that Spike's friendship with Thorax was gonna lead to something bigger for him, but oh well, apparently that's not it. It's stuff like that which makes me unsatisfied with Spike's character arc - he gets something, and then it's forgotten about. The Dragon arc looks like it's leading to something, but that's a personal arc - which all characters have. I'm talking about his main arc which is how he's connected to the Mane Six, or how that his purpose isn't with them after all. Don't care which, just hope it gets talked about. Just being a sidekick to Twilight isn't really enough for his character - not by fanpandering standards, I'm talking about by story standards. His crush on Rarity is fanpandering. Giving him a bigger story - that's story-pandering!

• Brohoof 1