Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's wrong with "overthinking"?

FlareGun45

Sometimes when I do a theory about the show, people say I'm "overthinking" some of it. Good job stating that fact, smarty pants! :P You say it like it's a bad thing? It can be sometimes, but there are times when it's useful! 

Now just because FIM is a kids show, does that automatically mean it's "predictable"? At first, yeah, it felt that way, but as the show went on, it started doing the unexpected! Especially in season 9! Every episode so far in season 9 (as I'm writing this, we're up to episode 4) has done something unpredictable so far! I won't say specifically here as to how they were unpredictable, but they just were! ;) The unexpected in this show can go all the way back to Canterlot Wedding! We thought it was just gonna be a plain ol wedding, but then there was a conspiracy that made the finale so interesting!

Kids show means "kid friendly" and "kid understanding", but it doesn't mean "predictable"! Just because this show is predictable half the time, unpredictable has started becoming more common! That's what makes this show cool! It looks like a plain ol kids show, but if you watch it - that's the thing about looks - they can be deceiving! ;)

Actual quote by Spike in episode 4 - which I believe is a foreshadow! Might not be, but if it's true, I wouldn've thought of that without "overthinking"! :P

Edited by FlareGun45
  • Brohoof 1

What is wrong with overthinking? I overthink all the time to the point where I am more anxious about what the future holds then living in the present.

Sometimes, it takes the fun out of being in the present moment and enjoying the show for what it is. Coming up from fridge brilliance and such is one thing, but too much overthinking can spoil the fun for some. Especially, when certain overthinkers try to force their beliefs onto other.

As long as overthinking doesn't go too far, it's fine though.

Edited by Will Guide
  • Brohoof 1

8 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

Sometimes, it takes the fun out of being in the present moment and enjoying the show for what it is. Coming up from fridge brilliance and such is one thing, but too much overthinking can spoil the fun for some. Especially, when certain overthinkers try to force their beliefs onto other.

I'm a writer, a storyteller, it's in my nature to overthink, that's what makes my work so successful! I don't force my beliefs into someone else, but if someone tries to persuade me otherwise, hey, they started it! ;) 

1 minute ago, FlareGun45 said:

I'm a writer, a storyteller, it's in my nature to overthink, that's what makes my work so successful! I don't force my beliefs into someone else, but if someone tries to persuade me otherwise, hey, they started it! ;) 

I'm a storyteller too. I got a few seasons of stories in my head..I simply meant to be open-minded. That's all. :sealed:

Edited by Will Guide

Just now, Will Guide said:

I'm a storyteller too. I simply meant to be open-minded. That's all. :sealed:

Oh right - no you're right about that! I don't wish for anything specific - just if I really believe in something in this show, and I don't expect it to be my way, cause only I can do my way! :) However, it doesn't hurt having a satisfied alternative! ;) It's just bad when a certain story on this show goes somewhere and leads to nowhere, but there are many paths! I'll be happy if any gets chosen - but if none get chosen and a story is left in the dust, that's when it's a problem.

8 minutes ago, Mirage said:

It's a mild psychosis, aka, Neuroticism, which we should all be careful with. 

Just chill out man! Everything is going to be fine.

I really hope you're right, buddy!

Oh what am I saying? Of course you're right! :D 

I think that 'overthinking' is only a problem when you're talking about canon and creative intent. For example, I often complain that Celestia is incompetent, but I don't think that the intention is that she is. At least not in the way most think of it, and certainly not at the time of the conception of the idea of the events that led to that interpretation of her character.

Something I see often is when someone writes a fanfiction based on some event of the cartoon, and extrapolates on that. I don't think that this is overthinking. That happens when someone in the comments section says that the author intended to take that extrapolation and then extrapolates it into some consequence that does something completely different in the end. It's the extreme Fridge Horror.

1 minute ago, Metemponychosis said:

I think that 'overthinking' is only a problem when you're talking about canon and creative intent. For example, I often complain that Celestia is incompetent, but I don't think that the intention is that she is. At least not in the way most think of it, and certainly not at the time of the conception of the idea of the events that led to that interpretation of her character.

Something I see often is when someone writes a fanfiction based on some event of the cartoon, and extrapolates on that. I don't think that this is overthinking. That happens when someone in the comments section says that the author intended to take that extrapolation and then extrapolates it into some consequence that does something completely different in the end. It's the extreme Fridge Horror.

When I overthink something, it starts off from a canon hint. Like I've been thinking about Spike's destiny lately - which sounds like something that won't be talked about on the show, but I found many sources that actually brought this to my attention, like my Spike plushy, his description on the Movie behind the scenes book, and Meghan McCarthy herself! That's the whole reason why I started making theories, cause there's at least a hint of it existing! Could be overlooked, but if it's there, then it was considered at one time, and still could!

• Brohoof 1

If there would be nothing wrong about, it would be called just "thinking" instead of "overthinking". But sometimes people also label it wrong. Thinking about extra things about the show is good for your nerdy part of the brain and your (or others') interest of the show. Thinking is not a crime. There are just crappy ideas and good ideas.

Sometimes "overthinking" is obviously incorrect. If you're trying to predict a future event in the show, then "overthinking" is wrong when you focus on tiny details that are clearly unintentional. 

So only when it's poorly thought out is it considered bad.

The show tends to fall apart if you overthink things - mostly because it's not designed to be overthought. Overthinking leads to things like in Fame and Misfortune, where everyone questions why the Main 6 are as useless as the princesses and it sucks the fun out of the show for people who don't think too hard about it and enjoy it for what it is

Overthinking leads people to criticize the show and that leads to the same people hating it based on the tiny imperfections only they are dissatisfied with.

With a television series or any kind of ongoing media franchise, you risk setting yourself up for extreme disappointment when you try to read into characters/stories too much. And then everyone else has to endure your rants about how stupid the writers are because they don't think like you.

Edited by n1029

What i don't get (and one reason why I've not been posting as much recently) is the people who come into a thread just to say you're overthinking or "Why are you worrying about that its just a kids show." For some (like me) playing around with all these little details is a fun way to relax and unwind while world building something we like. Sure some points are going to just eventually have to be filed in the  "don't question it" box (like Pinkie sliding up a slide from a room that doesn't fit into the cakes house plan or the mane 6 joining the princesses in being sidelined and then welcoming Starlight to the club) but to me discussing those points is fun. Maybe I'm right in my views, maybe I'm wrong, maybe someone else has a view either similar or different that puts the whole thing in a different light for me and encourages me to make connections. Some work well in the world, others have flaws and some are just wacky theories for fun not intended to be taken too seriously. However if you click on a thread that's obviously "overthinking" only to tell the person to stop it because they overthinking it you're not actually contributing anything to the thread and can in fact spoil the fun for the person looking to discuss it with other like minded individuals (those who overthink not those who necessarily agree with them).

Sure you risk setting yourself up for dissapointment or confusion (Spike and Twilght's relationship for example) but you're having fun at the time. Take my current attempt to work the episodes into at least a rough timeline season 6 is a pain in the neck and there are huge gaps of "blue skies/green fields spring/summer?" but its also a good way for me to relax and put other stresses behind me such as work and every now and then I get something like cucumber sandwiches which mean the episode probably happens in late spring or early summer as cucumbers don't handle cold or wet weather well even though they're a year round crop and have a relatively long growth cycle. I'm not forcing anyone to read my theories beyond a thread title which if they don't like it they don't need to click on it yet several times I've had people post in threads just to tell me not to ask questions about the show or an aspect of it. One of which was enough to drive me away from the forums for awhile and I'd still not be back if I hadn't gotten an email notification about them PMing an apology.

Different people enjoy different things just like one person can love an episode and another hate it but what is gained by telling someone not to question something when you could just avoid that thread and leave those who do enjoy the debate to argue for or against a particular viewpoint?

Edited by Senko

Usually, "overthinking" this show means I have more fun with it than I would otherwise, so I don't think there's anything wrong with it at all. When I complain it's usually based on a visceral reaction. 

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

There's plenty of head canon I've given the characters based on the show that could be considered overthinking. I do it anyway... cuz it's fun trying to put logic to it.

Discord and Celestia are best friends and possibly ruled together back in the day.

Celestia vs Nightmare Moon is more Neutral vs Neutral-Evil than Good vs Evil. I think Celestia is more neutral than good.

The Main 6 are in their late 20's some could even be in their early 30's. 

The CMC are High School Age.

A moon is about 30 days... or a month.

Fallout Equestria is Daybreaker.

Equestria is Earth far into the future where people have evolved into ponies and other magical creatures. 

Equestria Girls is our earth... the mirror allows them to travel through time.

Just to name a few.

Edited by Kadeda