Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think the show has ever had a BAD moral message?

Azureth

(edited)

The Cutie Re-Mark: Literally any crime is forgivable no matter how awful, as long as you provide a "tragic" sob story.

Every Little Thing She Does: Continuing to make the same mistakes over and over again is perfectly acceptable behavior.  Also you don't have to work at all in order to gain forgiveness from the people you hurt in the first place.

Edited by cmarston1

(edited)

Oh yes, here's a few more.

Magical Mystery Cure: 'Who cares about friends? I'M more important than everyone else is!'

Feeling Pinkie Keen: 'F*** logic, because it always fails where nonsensical BS succeeds' (Not a bad episode because it had pretty good slapstick humor, but my word was the moral horrific)

Forever Filly: 'It's okay to torture your siblings as long as you think it's right'

Edited by DusksuD
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

The Mane Attraction: If you don't like something, go ahead and sabotage it. Everyone else will see it your way.

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Rarity Investigates: One can be accused of a crime, presumed guilty, and burden to prove innocence is on the accused. It's okay to have a conflict of interest friend doing the investigation.

Fluttershy Leans In: Customers are always right. Even when they are vague on their request.

Edited by Singe

Feeling Pinkie Keen : Disregard scientific thinking when you can't explain something.

The Mysterious Mare Do Well : Don't fix a problem with facing it with honesty, try to trick and manipulate em.

The Cutie Re-Mark : What Starlight Glimmer did was ok.

Newbie Dash : Compromise with absurdity.

Fame and Misfortune : You are already perfect the way you are. (I see this moral everywhere, which is not true. No, you are not fine the way you are, always try to improve yourself.)

School Daze : Friendship can be taught by books and education.

Every Little Thing She Does, Fake It Til You Make It : You can always be forgiven when you apologize and acknowledge your fault.

Grannies Gone Wild : Applejack is an idiot.

The Parent Map : Starlight and Sunburst's parents weren't wrong when it comes to parenting.

Molt Down : A physical growth can fix your problem.

Yakity-Sax : Sacrifice your friend's well-being for pursuing your dream.

A Matter of Principals : When a friend misbehaves, give em what they want.

What Lies Beneath : An omnipotent sentient being can set up things and trap you, but you can't do anything about it but to do according to it's plan.

School Raze : Even a smallest innocent looking child could have been faking you completely, and even a child deserves a place in hell.

The Beginning of the End : Friendship can do anything, even defying logic.

She's All Yak : You deserve a trophy for nothing.

• Brohoof 2

"One Bad Apple" has by far the worst message, and is quite possibly the worst episode in the entire series.

It essentially says that if you're being bullied, then it's okay to bully others as a coping mechanism. No, it isn't! Bullying is NEVER okay, no matter how bad your life situation is.

• Brohoof 2

On 6/7/2019 at 2:49 PM, Puppet Panzy said:

28 Pranks Later: If someone pranked you, it's okay to get them back by traumatizing them for life. 'Cause it's just a prank, bro.

It becomes a lot better if you treat it like an actual zombie outbreak and Dash gets taken out by the Cake twins and is subsequently replaced by a Changeling

On 6/6/2019 at 5:57 PM, AlexanderThrond said:

"Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?" - 'If you're depressed, just get over it.'

That's assuming the episode even was about depression.

This is a great topic

The first Flim and Flam episode always bugged me. Their machine was capable of making cider of the same quality as the Apple family, and did so much quicker, thus making the townsponies happier. Applejack and co didn't want to lose the cider revenue so they essentially forced them to leave. This is really not okay, and I don't like the actual moral either - just because some method is natural/traditional, doesn't necessarily make it better.

• Brohoof 2

Some people seem to forget this show was originally meant for female children and not for grown adults. I kind of give that as an excuse for lackluster morals.

5 hours ago, Frostgage said:

This is a great topic

The first Flim and Flam episode always bugged me. Their machine was capable of making cider of the same quality as the Apple family, and did so much quicker, thus making the townsponies happier. Applejack and co didn't want to lose the cider revenue so they essentially forced them to leave. This is really not okay, and I don't like the actual moral either - just because some method is natural/traditional, doesn't necessarily make it better.

When I watched "Super-Speedy" for the first time I was on Applejack's side because I thought Flim & Flam were jerks.

Looking at it now, I think that the Apple's were the ones who were being jerks. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
18 hours ago, Frostgage said:

This is a great topic

Yeah, that episode is pretty problematic. It wants to have a "pony" vs machine conflict, but it's a meaningless conflict because the machine was clearly superior and still capable of producing quality cider as Granny Smith's expression confirmed. Then the episode tried to do a quality vs quantity conflict toward the end, but it's also meaningless as quality was always available from both sides with quantity being a major problem with the Apple family. Sure there's the brothers giving away bad cider as a result of the contest, but it's worth noting that they didn't purposefully give away bad cider earlier in the episode. Finally, the Apples could apparently make enough cider for Ponyville in 1 hour with help from the Mane 6, and the contribution from the Mane 6 somehow quintupled cider production. That means the Apples would need to work for 5 hours (or more if physical exertion was an issue) to produce enough cider for Ponyville, so I have to wonder how long they actually worked on cider production before the Flim Flam Brothers showed up. If working for 5+ hours really was too much, they could've asked for help, or they could impose limits on cider purchase as ponies like Pinkie shouldn't be allowed to take more than one mug if other ponies get screwed over.

12 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

When I watched "Super-Speedy" for the first time I was on Applejack's side because I thought Flim & Flam were jerks.

Looking at it now, I think that the Apple's were the ones who were being jerks. 

I'd say both sides were idiots. The Apples didn't know how to handle the problems with supply and demand and refused help from the Brothers, and the Brothers made such a stupid deal to the Apples. Too bad neither side could've offered a different deal that could still net them both a profit. I don't know why the Brothers even wanted to break into the cider business if they had no apples of their own to use.

Edited by Number62
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

I mean there are few or more things that triggers me, but then again it's just a cartoon. Thus it's best not to dwell in it. Just as long you're aware it's a bad moral massage then the lesson is done. 

Edited by TBD

On 6/11/2019 at 2:47 PM, AlexanderThrond said:

It’s at least about self-harm.

It mentioned self-harm, but it didn't actually talk about it, so it's essentially the same as not being about self-harm.

17 hours ago, Number62 said:

It mentioned self-harm, but it didn't actually talk about it, so it's essentially the same as not being about self-harm.

I don't think that episode was intended to be about that topic, but since Luna created the Tantibus to punish herself, the comparison is unavoidable - something the writers should have considered. 

Just now, Mongo said:

Putting Your Hoof down did mid-way through but dialed it back a littleat the end.

I quite liked Putting your hoof down - Flutters let praise go to her head and started acting increasingly badly - but fairly rapidly realised she had gone too far, and overcompensated (locking herself away in her cottage to avoid hurting anypony else) then finally found a balance - enough inner strength and confidence to stand up to Iron Will (which after the Dragon, wasn't exactly going to be scary) but without having to be nasty to anypony in the process. I think the episode worked out well, moral ending wise.

3 hours ago, CypherHoof said:

I quite liked Putting your hoof down - Flutters let praise go to her head and started acting increasingly badly - but fairly rapidly realised she had gone too far, and overcompensated (locking herself away in her cottage to avoid hurting anypony else) then finally found a balance - enough inner strength and confidence to stand up to Iron Will (which after the Dragon, wasn't exactly going to be scary) but without having to be nasty to anypony in the process. I think the episode worked out well, moral ending wise.

Exactly!  I liked it a lot too but was just highlighting the only immoral part was the bullying until she realized how to properly be assertive.  And this show was one of my top 3 favorites

• Brohoof 1

On 6/13/2019 at 4:25 PM, AlexanderThrond said:

I don't think that episode was intended to be about that topic, but since Luna created the Tantibus to punish herself, the comparison is unavoidable - something the writers should have considered. 

The episode's awfulness just piles higher and higher, doesn't it? It's not about depression or self-harm because it didn't do anything with those ideas, so what was the episode about? You already know the answer.

• Brohoof 1