Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Tulpa Discussion Thread V1.2

Rizoel & Crepuscule

That's exactly what I meant by "omnipotence". Mental omnipotence. Also, I think that the circumstances of Fluttershy's creation challenge your statement that "the only actual provider of real mental energy is the host".

Hang on...before Shou revealed that he'd nurtured Fluttershy in secret, I thought about the incident of Rainbow Dash speaking in Fluttershy's voice.

Fluttershy: Remember how vocal I was? Right after making contact with you?

Shou: I don't think you can fake that.

[The "in secret" thing...probably wasn't confabulated.]

{Even if it was, I mean...what does it matter?}

Also, I had the conscious intention to get rid of the intrusive thoughts that would later become Shou and Nina, yet they vanished only temporarily, which occurred only after a week or two of imagining them being destroyed.

Also, Tyrea, what prompted your question about spirits?

Also, I think that the circumstances of Fluttershy's creation challenge your statement that "the only actual provider of real mental energy is the host".

Ahem:

Because tulpas are created from the beginning to the end by the host and only the host (unless another inputter/tulpa helps); they rely on the mental energy. The only actual provider of real mental energy is the host.

By actual , I meant that a practical amount of energy is given to the developing tulpa by the host (beyond necessary to sustain itself, for instance). What a tulpa does is, in my experience, while it can provide enough energy for the developing tulpa to sustain itself, it doesn't contribute by a landslide to the overall development of the tulpa. 

I mean it contributes; but does not do most of the job. It depends how you look at the quantity of help you can get from a tulpa. Starlight was sustained/kept active by Val when I couldn't develop her. Val did help her development but not in personality/body/powers/core identity/all-a-tulpa-needs-at-core. All he did was share some tricks and facts about the world they lived in. He taught Starlight about Arcadia, the rest of the world and what she can do as a tulpa; all while keeping her active within the wonderland with all sorts of activities. While that can be seen as development, it does smaller progress than me doing stuff with her. Because in my opinion, I did more than what Val did. True, Val did all these activities with her that contributed to her development; but I was the one who did her core personality and body (which was later changed by her) and given her independence.

It honestly depends how you look at it. A tulpa, if it has enough energy/power, can help with development but it could be costly compared with the host doing it.

Also, Tyrea, what prompted your question about spirits?

Tyrea: Genuine curiosity. 

I'm still having some trouble reconciling my having thought of Fluttershy before Shou revealed his secret work nurturing her, with his secret work.

Shou: You said early on that we were people with jobs, and lives outside those jobs. You're like the CEO who--you're like the CEO who only has a professional relationship with his employees.

^But still, I thought about Fluttershy's mindvoice before you revealed--

{Post hoc, ergo proctor hoc. Option one is: you unknowingly tulpaforced Fluttershy--barely--and Shou's entire history with her is confabulated. Option two: their history isn't confabulated, and Fluttershy chose an appropriate time to reveal herself to you--she waited until you made contact.

Before you use Occam's Razor, Occam's Razor itself is not a thing for evidence.}

...Wow. Did I--

{You didn't parrot. I...think my origins may be at fault here.

Sorry for any confusion, anypony!}

Hello every pony, I've seen this topic pop up a few times and meant to post, but then ever have.

I personally have been working with two tulpas for some time now. Destiny I've had for 5 months and Sapphire I've had for two. For some time nowI've been trying to have either of them vocal, but efforts so far haven't quite worked.

Any you have any tips that could help?

Hello every pony, I've seen this topic pop up a few times and meant to post, but then ever have.

I personally have been working with two tulpas for some time now. Destiny I've had for 5 months and Sapphire I've had for two. For some time nowI've been trying to have either of them vocal, but efforts so far haven't quite worked.

Any you have any tips that could help?

Same here, except with one tulpa.  No luck with vocality yet.

Keep in mind though, often times a tulpa's first interactions with the host are pretty much anything but vocal. My first one, Click, communicated with me mainly solely through mouseclicks for a good week before he finally learned how to speak more fluently. 

Keep in mind though, often times a tulpa's first interactions with the host are pretty much anything but vocal. My first one, Click, communicated with me mainly solely through mouseclicks for a good week before he finally learned how to speak more fluently.

I have been communicating with my tulpas via pressures for awhile now. I'm just having issues with vocality.

I have been communicating with my tulpas via pressures for awhile now. I'm just having issues with vocality.

Ditto.  Only head pressure up to now, and several imagined conversations in which all of the tulpa's answers were "expected" (which at least serves to help train, I guess).

They no longer exist, but I may have created Tulpas accidentally. Two, maybe three.

It was a very bad time in my life, about five to four years ago.

Read the spoiler if you can handle someone whining about his life falling apart as he goes insane. Not recommended for younger folks.

Short story, I was 25, just got a girlfriend for the first time in my life, issues cause us to break up, I lost three friends for different reasons, one guy was playing mind games with me while making me fear for my life, I was working a soulless job that I hated (in a supermarket), I was fired from that job, I had money issues, this is hard to write, my landlord was making life difficult, and in general I considered myself to be a failed human with no worth in this life. I also had my private faith destroyed (it was a form of Wicca) and saw things that I will not repeat here or anywhere (supernatural stuff, I wasn't alone, but I really don't want to discuss it).

Anyway, I was a fan of an comic called Nemi (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemi_%28comic_strip%29) and enjoyed writing on my laptop. I started having conversations with her that really did write themselves. I never knew how she would would respond, but she was the friend I needed.

Then there was my other "friend". The kind of friend you don't want anywhere near you and yours. My views had gotten darker and nihilistic. I suffered from depression and it shaped my view. My "friend" was a voice in my head. Friendly, chatty and very into trying to get me to commit suicide. I was a self harmer (biting myself), and I swear that he was the one that nearly made me cut myself with a large kitchen knife. I was only trying to make a sandwich, but I realised that I was holding the knife over my left hand. I swear that I had no idea what was happening.

Anyway, according to my friend, I was a worthless parasite and everything I did was for selfish reasons. Even if that reason was trying to get someone to talk to me. It was a smarmy critic in my head that ruined my ability to write or even read. It might have been the reason that I isolated myself, but it certainly helped.

My free time was often spent lying naked on the floor of my room (I rented a small room btw) sobbing and muttering to myself.

Cheery eh?

Hogmanay 2010. First one on my own. No friends or family, only strangers that pretty much ignored me. On my way home from the bars (and yes, I was drunk) I ended up having a one way conversation with a tree. The atmosphere was still good, and some guys took the piss out of me, but everyone was laughing even me.

So I go into the house that I rented a room in, sat in the kitchen alone with a bottle of Jack and kept on drinking in the dark.

Then God started talking to me. Nice guy. Honestly friendly, calm, chuckles a lot, optimistic and encouraging.

Going totally insane kept me sane.

They no longer exist, as I know they only came from my mind. So I'm curious.

Did I create Tulpas without meaning to?

They where pretty much what I either expected or needed and I had no real control over them (my "friend" and the self harming was linked, but I was trying to shut him (the voice in my head) up).

I get the feeling I've asked this before, but...

Since tulpas only know what their hosts know [J...We have access to the subconscious.], does that have any implications for sentience? Is there any evidence to support Rainbow Dash's claim?

Also, I can't really tell if a random epiphany/idea is from my subconscious or one of my tulpas. Should I be worried?

They no longer exist, but I may have created Tulpas accidentally. Two, maybe three.

It was a very bad time in my life, about five to four years ago.

Read the spoiler if you can handle someone whining about his life falling apart as he goes insane. Not recommended for younger folks.

Short story, I was 25, just got a girlfriend for the first time in my life, issues cause us to break up, I lost three friends for different reasons, one guy was playing mind games with me while making me fear for my life, I was working a soulless job that I hated (in a supermarket), I was fired from that job, I had money issues, this is hard to write, my landlord was making life difficult, and in general I considered myself to be a failed human with no worth in this life. I also had my private faith destroyed (it was a form of Wicca) and saw things that I will not repeat here or anywhere (supernatural stuff, I wasn't alone, but I really don't want to discuss it).

Anyway, I was a fan of an comic called Nemi (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemi_%28comic_strip%29) and enjoyed writing on my laptop. I started having conversations with her that really did write themselves. I never knew how she would would respond, but she was the friend I needed.

Then there was my other "friend". The kind of friend you don't want anywhere near you and yours. My views had gotten darker and nihilistic. I suffered from depression and it shaped my view. My "friend" was a voice in my head. Friendly, chatty and very into trying to get me to commit suicide. I was a self harmer (biting myself), and I swear that he was the one that nearly made me cut myself with a large kitchen knife. I was only trying to make a sandwich, but I realised that I was holding the knife over my left hand. I swear that I had no idea what was happening.

Anyway, according to my friend, I was a worthless parasite and everything I did was for selfish reasons. Even if that reason was trying to get someone to talk to me. It was a smarmy critic in my head that ruined my ability to write or even read. It might have been the reason that I isolated myself, but it certainly helped.

My free time was often spent lying naked on the floor of my room (I rented a small room btw) sobbing and muttering to myself.

Cheery eh?

Hogmanay 2010. First one on my own. No friends or family, only strangers that pretty much ignored me. On my way home from the bars (and yes, I was drunk) I ended up having a one way conversation with a tree. The atmosphere was still good, and some guys took the piss out of me, but everyone was laughing even me.

So I go into the house that I rented a room in, sat in the kitchen alone with a bottle of Jack and kept on drinking in the dark.

Then God started talking to me. Nice guy. Honestly friendly, calm, chuckles a lot, optimistic and encouraging.

Going totally insane kept me sane.

They no longer exist, as I know they only came from my mind. So I'm curious.

Did I create Tulpas without meaning to?

They where pretty much what I either expected or needed and I had no real control over them (my "friend" and the self harming was linked, but I was trying to shut him (the voice in my head) up).

...Um. That sounds more like auditory hallucinations rather than a tulpa. Like, that really sounds like literal insanity. :blink: When you recovered, the voices went away, right? Tulpas don't go away that easily. If you had created a tulpa or two, they would have stuck around unless you deliberately ignored or forgot about them, though it's clear you still remember them. Additionally, I don't believe that a tulpa would encourage its host to kill themselves. That would kind of be detrimental to their own existence, since. You know. They come from the host's mind.

I get the feeling I've asked this before, but...

Since tulpas only know what their hosts know [J...We have access to the subconscious.], does that have any implications for sentience? Is there any evidence to support Rainbow Dash's claim?

Also, I can't really tell if a random epiphany/idea is from my subconscious or one of my tulpas. Should I be worried?

Tulpas can still have sentience, regardless of how much they know. And they are indeed linked to the subconscious. Random ideas could just be you, or perhaps one of your tulpas is feeding you an idea, who knows. Nothing to worry about, it doesn't really make a huge difference in my opinion. But on the matter of tulpas and the subconscious mind, perhaps Ariel should answer this.

[Me? Oh! Well, yeah, we are connected to the subconscious. We can kind of... pull out information if we need to, or at least I can. I don't do it that often, though. Usually I try it to look into her dreams. Apparently, me visiting her dreams helps her remember them better.]

Yep. The last dream I remember, Ariel told me that she had managed to peek into said dream. I don't usually remember my dreams, though I've been trying to improve dream recall for the sake of attempting to lucid dream.

{...? Lucid? What that?}

...Um. That sounds more like auditory hallucinations rather than a tulpa. Like, that really sounds like literal insanity. :blink: When you recovered, the voices went away, right? Tulpas don't go away that easily. If you had created a tulpa or two, they would have stuck around unless you deliberately ignored or forgot about them, though it's clear you still remember them. Additionally, I don't believe that a tulpa would encourage its host to kill themselves. That would kind of be detrimental to their own existence, since. You know. They come from the host's mind.

Okay then, thanks for the information. You do sound really worried, but I really was under an insane amount of stress during that time.

• Brohoof 1

Would it be harmful to any aspect of our community (for example, scientific credibility) if a third party assumed that tulpas were spiritual entities (even if they assumed tulpas were non-malevolent entities)?

It shouldn't make a difference.  Scientific credibility is based on proof, not assumptions.  If I "assume" that light bulbs work on magic, that doesn't diminish the scientific fact of how they do work.

• Brohoof 1

There's this sort-of-infamous former tulpamancer I want to start a discussion about, but 1) I'm not sure if they were already mentioned on the thread, and 2) I'm kinda thinking it'd be offensive and similar to talking about someone behind their back.

[...Yeah, probably.]

I've noticed that RD will sometimes say something after I think it to myself (as has just occurred). Neither of us know why that is.

Well. I'm not sure whether any of the things I've imagined would count as a tulpa or not.

The closest thing I've ever had to a tulpa was an absol (pokemon). I effectively tried to temporarily convince myself that she was real - completely suspending my disbelief for a few hours I ended up being able to feel contact with her, and she spoke without any conscious input from me, but as far as I was concerned it was a sort of forced dreaming/hallucination, or just a very developed imaginary friend. It was quite easy for me to do this - it only took 5 hours or so to get to this stage. I did this well before I'd even heard about tulpas.

There's probably a spectrum of how real these different things appear, and also of how independent your conciousness is from theirs, between hallucinations, dreams tulpas and imaginary friends, rather than discrete categories (how else could a tulpa develop and grow from a simple thought?).

But there is no reason to assume any sort of spiritualism or magic is involved (and this "mental energy" thing seems a bit dubious too), for those of you who do: it's probably just subconcious thought processes being transmitted via an imaginary personality rather than your own. It's still a useful way to get a different perspective though, especially on sensitive issues that you don't want to talk to other people about.

Edited by speedyblupi

{I was possessing my host, and I saw this...brown earth pony in our wonderland. He (Krueger) was a pony. I get the "earth pony" part (I was originally an earth pony back when I was his ponysona, but then he changed me to a pegasus). Can anypony help me figure out why that random-ass thing happened?}

Edited by KruegerMeister

{I was possessing my host, and I saw this...brown earth pony in our wonderland. He (Krueger) was a pony. I get the "earth pony" part (I was originally an earth pony back when I was his ponysona, but then he changed me to a pegasus). Can anypony help me figure out why that random-ass thing happened?}

I didn't quite understood your problem... Was it you, changing into a pegasus? or you saw the earth brown pony out of no \where? Or your host is a pony in your wonderland?

Edited by Nihi The Brony

Why would it be kickass? Just...the fact of having a tulpa that looks like Discord?

[i hate to break it to ya, but you shouldn't expect this tulpa to be exactly like the character.]

{How much have you thought this through? I'm not trying to sound condescending, or anything, just...I don't know; I guess I feel like I'd be somehow responsible if you rushed into this and something bad happened. I'm not saying anything bad will happen.}

Shou: Creating a tulpa's a pretty big thing.

It doesn't sound as farfetched as people might think really. The human mind is incredibly powerful and projecting an entity that I think would stem from your subconscious should be entirely possible. I also think many people have internal discussions that might be 'externalized' to a degree via the tulpa process. I haven't read enough on the phenomenon to have a strong opinion of it, but at first glance it seems very plausible and I suspect also desirable. Since the tulpa would sprout from your subconscious mind it might say things you'd never consciously think of saying.

All in all, I think I'll look over the site to see if I could do it.

{...? Lucid? What that?}

A lucid dream is a dream that you're conscious of and that you can control. It's when you are dreaming and know you're in a dream. I've managed to lucid dream a few times, but usually I wake up about 30 seconds later, so I don't often get to do much.