Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Thread placement question

Latecomer

While swimming deep in the memory of Sugarcube Corner, I came across the following old thread

I understand if no-one remembers, but I'm quite curious as to why it is there rather than in Past Generations. There are also other threads that seem like they might fit Show Discussion... but I'm not quite clear where the line is there either.

(I have a very "filing cabinet" sort of mind. Sorry if it's a bother.)

3 hours ago, Latecomer said:

While swimming deep in the memory of Sugarcube Corner, I came across the following old thread

I understand if no-one remembers, but I'm quite curious as to why it is there rather than in Past Generations. There are also other threads that seem like they might fit Show Discussion... but I'm not quite clear where the line is there either.

(I have a very "filing cabinet" sort of mind. Sorry if it's a bother.)

Past Generations wasn’t a forum until 2016. Most of the forum structure was different in 2011 and it was basically a small staff too. 

By 2016 nobody could reasonably dig through 5 years of topics and move them. 2013-2014 was massively busy and the number of new topics exploded. 

Today with the forum a bit smaller I’m not going to fuss over placement much. There are topics that can fit in multiple areas and that is actually one of them. Though I do feel the best places for that would be PG or SD and not SCC

Just now, Beetlejeric said:

Past Generations wasn’t a forum until 2016. Most of the forum structure was different in 2011 and it was basically a small staff too. 

By 2016 nobody could reasonably dig through 5 years of topics and move them. 2013-2014 was massively busy and the number of new topics exploded. 

Today with the forum a bit smaller I’m not going to fuss over placement much. There are topics that can fit in multiple areas and that is actually one of them. Though I do feel the best places for that would be PG or SD and not SCC

Perhaps there could be a thread to post topics like that? Then you or other staff could look in when you're less busy and maybe switch the  ones you agree with.

Hm

Actually that was decidedly the co founder of MLPF who missed that one. It was right after he launched this place and I don’t think they started to take on any staff. 

@Twilight Sparkle  you are in big trouble now mister! :P

Just now, Latecomer said:

Perhaps there could be a thread to post topics like that? Then you or other staff could look in when you're less busy and maybe switch the  ones you agree with.

You can always report the topic. It’s actually the number one reason why we get reports. 

2 minutes ago, Beetlejeric said:

Hm

Actually that was decidedly the co founder of MLPF who missed that one. It was right after he launched this place and I don’t think they started to take on any staff. 

You can always report the topic. It’s actually the number one reason why we get reports. 

Ah. Is there a specific way to do that, or should I just report the first post?

(Also, i suppose you could count this as a report of that one... and where is the line between Show Discussion and Sugarcube Corner? )

39 minutes ago, Latecomer said:

Ah. Is there a specific way to do that, or should I just report the first post?

(Also, i suppose you could count this as a report of that one... and where is the line between Show Discussion and Sugarcube Corner? )

No line but the general rule of thumb is ... if it is about the fandom it goes in SC. Show? SD. 

1 minute ago, Beetlejeric said:

No line but the general rule of thumb is ... if it is about the fandom it goes in SC. Show? SD. 

What about in-universe matters, like Equestrian culture?

(And I assume I'm right about the first post thing.)

23 hours ago, Beetlejeric said:

Hm

MLP Forums was a FiM-exclusive community at launch by design due to the founders' vision of a gathering space that was predominantly focused on the G4 TV show and fan labor surrounding it, to the exclusion of virtually everything else (gaming, politics, other shows, movies, "general discussion" were all underemphasized discussion areas here as well). Though other FiM- and MLP-themed forums existed at the time, a laser focus on the G4 TV show itself was surprisingly rare in the world of pony forums at the time.

A 'previous generations' section wasn't "missed"; it was deliberately omitted as MLPF was not specifically intended to attract their fans (fans of G4 who also happened to be fans of previous generations fell into this target audience, of course).

Having a clear, specific focus area is extremely important for small fledgling communities as, for users to stick around, they need a critical mass of other users and content that are interesting to them. If you're only gonna have 200 users in your first month, it's easier to achieve this when they're all interested in celebrating the FiM TV show than when 50 of them are into FiM, 50 are into fan art but not the FiM show, 50 like the previous gens but don't care for G4, and 50 don't care about ponies at all but wanna talk politics and video games with people who wear pony avatars.

Threads about previous generations that were relevant to G4 in some way (ex. comparing G4 art style to prior gens, tracing the history of the MLP franchise, comparing similarities and differences across generations, etc.) had a home in Sugarcube Corner or Show Discussion before 2016 and arguably still do. As MLPF stepped on its hooves and secured a robust identity as a FiM fan forum, it had enough strength in that core competency to begin "allowing" other lines of discussion.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Jetset Troblems said:

Putting in my two cents, I’d say SD more than PG, as it’s referencing Celestia as it’s primary subject, and questioning her appearance in past generations as a secondary. Anyway @Latecomer, did that answer your question?

In general yes. If I see any more threads that don't seem to fit, I guess I'll report them?

(Actually, that's another question - do reports get replies? Or is the only way to tell if any threads do get moved or not to check them individually?)

On 10/29/2019 at 7:05 AM, Latecomer said:

(Actually, that's another question - do reports get replies? Or is the only way to tell if any threads do get moved or not to check them individually?)

Unless specifically required, reports don't get replies, however if you created a thread, you should get a mention from the mod who is moving said thread. Otherwise, you won't get a notification unless you're following the thread, which is always an option.

6 minutes ago, Jetset Troblems said:

Unless specifically required, reports don't get replies, however if you created a thread, you should get a mention from the mod who is moving said thread. Otherwise, you won't get a notification unless you're following the thread, which is always an option.

OK then. (These aren't my threads - I would put them where I thought they fit best in the first place - so I'll just follow any ones I report.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • The topic was locked