Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology How many times have you booted into "Safe Mode"?

Splashee

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Yeah. I was on a computer that was running windows 7 and was secured with sophos endpoint security and applications and some websites were blocked. The only browser that was on that computer was IE. If tried to run Firefox or Chrome I would get an error (access denied or asked for administrative privileges) and the app would show up in the controlled applications in sophos endpoint security. I remembered that safe mode only loads essential windows services and nothing else. So I booted into safe mode and as I expected windows didn't start any sophos related services and then I didn't have any problems running firefox, chrome, dosbox (which was also blocked). Win key + r and accessing command prompt was also blocked on the windows level. I made a batch file (.bat) put in the “cmd“ command saved that file as *.bat  and I got access to the command prompt. The drives in my computer were also hidden. If you tried to type c: In explorer you would get an access denied error. Typed explorer c: In the command prompt and it opened the partition. Funny thing the bios was on that computer was also unlocked. Other people who used that pc didn't even know what safe mode was and booted the pc normally and had websites blocked.

Edited by zerox
Typo