Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Travel stories

Muffinnz

(edited)

Your story could be funny, scary, etc. Must be real though.

One of my travel stories:

First I must provide some background for this to be understood, in my area it is illegal to pump your own gas so someone is hired to stand by the gas station, wait for someone to drive up, ask how much, insert card, insert the pump etc. One time, we flew to Europe to visit my family for a 2 month stay, which about 90% of my family live there. I wasn't old enough to drive yet so my grandpa lend my mother a car for our stay so we can move around town without paying for buses all the time. One day my parent was driving me back from the grocery store and we stopped at a gas station to get gas and so we forgot that it is legal to pump your own gas so we just waited until we went to go ask if somebody works here to realize the truth. Not only that, we accidentally pumped the diesel car with gas because we are just so used to seeing gas powered vehicles everyday since about 95% of cars in my country run on gas.

Edited by Muffinnz
  • Brohoof 2

At a museum cafe in Germany I forgot that sparkling water is the default water (still water is the default in the US)

So I ordered water. Cue me taking a big sip and then accidentally spitting it all over the waitress in surprise :laugh: 

Mine was at Las Vegas..let just say there was a lot of flashing especially during nighttime. I lost count on how many time I've seen topless women on a street..let alone other weirdos...

Also if you're a first timer like me, never take a picture with anyone in an awesome costume. I once took a picture with a guy in a legit bumblebee costume. After the picture was taking the guy held his hand out. I didn't know what he was doing but then he told me to "pay up." So I gave a dollar to him and he just look at it. I could tell he was disappointed the way how he stares at the dollar and  then he look at me again. He was getting in my personal space and he look like he's about to say something, till someone asks him for picture. I took off right away knowing I do not want any trouble from this guy.  That was a last time I ever want to take a picture with anyone in a costume knowing they will be asking for money. 

Last, it was hot as hell. It feels like I'm getting baked in there, plus the water are expensive. 

Overall, Las Vegas is clearly not my kind of vacation. Horrible experiences. 

This past February, I went on a road trip with my parents and some family friends to Red Wing Minnesota to see my brother play in his band in a music festival. It was a weekend event but my the band only played for one day. I thought it wasn’t going to be an enjoyable experience but it was actually really fun! We went to various restaurants and went shopping at all sorts of different places. We also went to this pie place that was marvelous.

Some summers ago I went to the town of Remedios to enjoy the festivities. That was one of the best days of my life! Fireworks iluminated the night sky, music everywhere you went, it was heaven for me.

And there my mother met her actual boyfriend who is awesome! One of my best friends IRL.

You can google "Parrandas de Remedios" and see it for yourselves I guess.

A travel story I can never forget...

Once upon a time, Splashee was part of a group of friends going to LAN parties in Sweden. One of those were called Dreamhack. That meant bringing your heavy computer many miles from your home. We managed to get one of our friend's dad to drive us, though he was so mad, and kept talking about how pissed he was at our friend's mom for doing this (since they had just separated). Well, we made it after 4 hours of driving, and we were in one of these huge dome places with 1000 of lit computer screens and loud music. Cool huh?

Well, here is the real plot. We were there for 4 days, but we had no one to drive us home. So when were were all leaving, we stole a store's shopping cart, put all our computer stuff on it, and rushed to the train station. It was the worst, and the last train was leaving for the Sunday. We made it, barely, without any tickets... meaning, we had to pay cash and sit somewhere not occupied, on a full train, while our expensive computers were all standing by the exit doors of the train cart we entered.
So for whatever hours to travel back home we had to find somewhere temporary to sit, we hadn't had any sleep for at least 12 hours, since the music was so loud at that Dreamhack place, and there were no places to sleep at Dreamhack (except a room that smelt like someone had died in it), we finally found a place to sit, in the kindergarden play room.... And there was this little kid running around starting punching our legs with his fists, while the parent was not looking. The pain of being so tired, trying to avoid the kid's random attack (that also hurt)... It was enough for me. I ran to the train's bathroom, locked the door, and slept there the whole way home!

When I got home, I slept for 18 long hours.

I went on a road trip to las vegas  and in the middle of the desert they have areas were its like "only one gas station for 103 miles fuel up now or prepare for trouble" it was terrifying but such a cool experience at the same time  I loved the beautiful scenery of the desert rock formations with the cloudless sky that day. next time I wanna do it when its not 113 degrees in the desert of Utah and Nevada maybe during the winter next year. we ended up taking route 66 all the way back home and just everything was so beautiful seeing the scenic routes of the US

Once as a kid, I traveled (with my mom and my brother) through half of Europe on trains. My mom had gotten some special ticket because she was a bus driver back then, and we could go anywhere for free.... Or so I thought.
We went to Germany, France, Spain. it was cool! I don't think it was completely free though. But it was an experience I needed, to fully understand Europe.

So many to choose from. Okay, my family and I spent two months in Hawaii when I was a teen, but neither my brother, sister nor I had any money for entertainment (we forewent our allowances to offset the cost of having such a lengthy vacation there). So we made it part of our entertainment to sneak into anyplace we couldn’t afford to pay for. We did one major attraction per week. My brother would select the target, my sister would arrange transportation and supplies, and I would do the scouting work on site and anything artistic like forging hand stamps. One such excursion involved finding a back entrance to an upscale animal park my brother found and we went cross-country through literal jungle where we encountered a man with hair down to his butt apparently living off the land and my brother lost a shoe sinking thigh-deep in mud. We had to dig to retrieve his shoe because it would have been a quick giveaway in a park that required shirts and shoes to enter. When we finally gained entry to the park, we were a mess and nearly ruined the plumbing in the restrooms cleaning up (one of many reasons I’d never do anything like this nowadays). But for our troubles we enjoyed a nice afternoon on premises, managed to get free animal feed with some adroit handling of the on-site dispensers, and free souvenirs (they were just postcards in exchange for filling out a survey; we didn’t steal them!) and we were treated to a free bus ride home. When we went on these ‘missions’ we pretended we were the A-Team (for those familiar with the ‘80s TV show); my brother was Hannibal, my sister was Face and I was Murdock. We didn’t have a B.A. Baracus unfortunately. That particular location was notable for being one of our less tidy outings. 

My childhood trips were almost never peaceful. The worst of them all being when we went to Disney World and I fell and almost died. Later trips were rife with relatively minor (to the aforementioned incident) incidents but were always eventful with stuff like car troubles (including a tire flying off into a swamp).

In high school, I finally had a couple of good trips, to Washington D.C./Baltimore and Southern California. It was neat to get to see all of the museums in D.C., since by then I had began to be interested in history. And Southern California was the first time I had been to a beach since I was really young (and incidentally, I also haven't been to a beach since... We're talking 15 years this summer lol). California was a beautiful place to visit. I loved the mountainous terrain and those tall skinny palm trees.

I swear I took a lot of pictures on the California trip, but I don't have many of them left, here's one of the beach when the sun was setting:

h3IabEE.jpg

On 4/2/2020 at 7:54 PM, SparklingSwirls said:

At a museum cafe in Germany I forgot that sparkling water is the default water (still water is the default in the US)

So I ordered water. Cue me taking a big sip and then accidentally spitting it all over the waitress in surprise :laugh: 

It sounds like I need to live in Europe! I wish sparkling water were available to order at places. Meals are so much better with a carbonated drink, yet so few places in the US offer sparkling water (like Olive Garden is the only place I know of).