Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Anyone sick of "regular" humor?

PCutter

This meaning that over time, I get especially sick of anyone being given a label because of some personality trait or something they said or did. Maybe it made sense for a number of months or a year even. But using that same old joke for decades on end? People who double or triple or quadruple down on doing that are nothing but irritations. In fact those same old "jokes" aren't jokes anymore,  but a sentence that shouldn't even be around anymore.

And I realize that regular humor here is vague.

I already made a topic that said I was became in favor of dark humor. Because this kind is the sort of layer that isn't too transparent or opaque. But it's the kind that shows us how much we don't want certain people around and what we want to happen to them. I'm already embracing those higher echelons of schadenfreude, since it's the only relevant kind of humor in this age.

• Brohoof 1

39 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

Gonna need an example. Currently I have no idea what you’re talking about.

Hypothetical scenario

Person A accidentally spills some milk on him/herself by accident. When everyone notices and s/he explains it, everyone calls him/her "Milk Spiller" as some joke. S/he decides to laugh it off too.

This treatment may continue on for a while where s/he laughs it off whenever it's brought up. But then after a few years, s/he no longer finds it funny and everyone still calls him/her Milk Spiller. Everyone calls him/her this because they insist that the name Milk Spiller defines her character. 

It's "jokes" like these that set me off.

• Brohoof 1

I'm kinda sick of it, it's just memes at this point, repeated til death. But today's humor need to appeal for everyone, which is hard by today's standards, anything can get you into trouble because it's insulting to a minority.

I say this but my sense of humor is pretty rare to find today, it's controlled but unpredictable chaos, like in the amazing world of Gumball, or those GMOD videos on team fortress 2.

20 minutes ago, A French Derpy full of Salt said:

I'm kinda sick of it, it's just memes at this point, repeated til death. But today's humor need to appeal for everyone, which is hard by today's standards, anything can get you into trouble because it's insulting to a minority.

I say this but my sense of humor is pretty rare to find today, it's controlled but unpredictable chaos, like in the amazing world of Gumball, or those GMOD videos on team fortress 2.

I can emphasize with what you say, even though my humor is different. The standard humor isn't mine, which makes it very hard to find something that appeals to me. Most Animations on YouTube for example are extremely violent. Memes are getting repeated to death, like you said. Vines are boring, too. Every time I find a video with my humor is like finding the Holy Grail, it's so rare! :D

MLP has the right humor for me. And especially Derpy. :muffins:

So am I safe to assume you really didn't like Season 6, Episode 7, "Newbie Dash" where she's assigned an embarrassing nickname by the wonderbolts that just so happened to have been used as a foalhood insult?

I don't think this sort of "humor" is all that common outside of groups that purposefully make up nicknames for each other, or settings where you'll be singled out by bullies, but words are just words, and these days there's more opportunity to not have to associate with those sorts of people.

Part of my nickname at one of my old places of work was Hairy Whale. I didn't like it originally, but the absurdity grew on me, and I only have it because I just happened to be standing by our face painting station when we realized the spout on this cartoonish whale looked more like a toupee while going through our image reference sheet.

(edited)
3 hours ago, A French Derpy full of Salt said:

It even seems that the only humor everyone likes nowadays is when people are really wounded in the heart or are killed. Either I laugh at it or I understand the deeper meanings of it.

Take the first Terror tales of the Park in Regular Show. I was terrified when that insane wizard actually killed off the entire main cast. Because usually I expected it to be some sort of joke where everyone turns up alive. Even though it was only a story, when I realized that they all truly died, I was frightened. But now I find it hilarious. For me, something that I expected to be a joke turning out not to be one at all is already hilarious.

Edited by PCutter

(edited)

I don't know whatta regular humor means exactly, I guess what is common.

I like British comedies but mostly the older ones cuz of political correctness a lot of topics have become out of bounds and also a lot of gruesome stuff is trending like comedy that is literally just swearing. I like it when people who are willing to make fun of themselves in a fun way self deprication (apparently Americans don't like that as much though? Cuz they like to big themselves up)

Silly humor like harry hill is good too. And smosh like the old stuff.

Surreal humor like monty python is a bit weird to me tho sometimes i like it. 

Edited by flurry

7 hours ago, PCutter said:

Hypothetical scenario

Person A accidentally spills some milk on him/herself by accident. When everyone notices and s/he explains it, everyone calls him/her "Milk Spiller" as some joke. S/he decides to laugh it off too.

This treatment may continue on for a while where s/he laughs it off whenever it's brought up. But then after a few years, s/he no longer finds it funny and everyone still calls him/her Milk Spiller. Everyone calls him/her this because they insist that the name Milk Spiller defines her character. 

It's "jokes" like these that set me off.

Oh, but that's elementary school cafeteria humour. If highschoolers did that, they should probably be sent back to magic kindergarten for being so dense to begin with, kupo.

7 hours ago, A French Derpy full of Salt said:

Not so hard to find. Just wander around any youtube poop and you might find your thing ;)

3 hours ago, SharpWit said:

So am I safe to assume you really didn't like Season 6, Episode 7, "Newbie Dash" where she's assigned an embarrassing nickname by the wonderbolts that just so happened to have been used as a foalhood insult?

I don't think this sort of "humor" is all that common outside of groups that purposefully make up nicknames for each other, or settings where you'll be singled out by bullies, but words are just words, and these days there's more opportunity to not have to associate with those sorts of people.

Part of my nickname at one of my old places of work was Hairy Whale. I didn't like it originally, but the absurdity grew on me, and I only have it because I just happened to be standing by our face painting station when we realized the spout on this cartoonish whale looked more like a toupee while going through our image reference sheet.

Me and my college friends had absurd nicknames for everyone in the group of friends, most of them heavily charged with irony or plain over-the-top absurdity. My nickname was made out of 10 words exagerating ponies and feminine traits which clashed with my actual behavior and look. We had the irony for beefcake-chan (a ripped otaku with a rather stoic personality), the fingerlicking good dude (a fatty dude who made jojo poses) and so on. The point with those weird nicknames is they only work at a local joke dominion.

Anyway, to add one last thing on the topic, I think what you refer to as "regular" humour is more american humour than a standarized sort of humour seen worldwide. In mexico we consider that sort of humour dull and simplistic and call it "gringo humour". Is the kind of humour children and childish adults would enjoy. Then again, mexican jokes are full of double entendres, sarcasm and saucy comedy, along with death.

• Brohoof 2

The nature of how jokes are treated in MLP is a prime example of beating a dead horse.

A few of many "Jokes" that made sense then:

20%

AJ= background pony

Sweetie Belle= dictionary

Celestia= Eats only cake

Luna= Perfect in every way

I swear it's like people want them to be reduced to these 1 dimensional traits just so they could make these "jests"  still relevant after nearly a decade. The ones making these jokes feebly attempt to make themselves still relevant in a time when the jokes have already worn out their welcome. They were the least bit funny at all only during their proper timeframes. These cheap jokes only last so long and they become infuriating instead of originally amusing.

And before anyone calls me out on me having no sense of humor, how would you like it if everyone back in your past still calls you by some label because of some triviality that involved you which happened too long ago? A century say? Wouldn't you just be driven mad if you kept on hearing the exact same thing 24/7?

On 7/16/2020 at 3:04 AM, Jesse Terrence said:

.Anyway, to add one last thing on the topic, I think what you refer to as "regular" humour is more american humour than a standarized sort of humour seen worldwide. In mexico we consider that sort of humour dull and simplistic and call it "gringo humour". Is the kind of humour children and childish adults would enjoy. Then again, mexican jokes are full of double entendres, sarcasm and saucy comedy, along with death.

All the more reason why those making the "standardized American" humor should get it through their thick skulls that not everyone will get the context or even care about it at all.Not everyone of us can relate to every mundane situation in the US.

On 7/16/2020 at 3:04 AM, Jesse Terrence said:

Oh, but that's elementary school cafeteria humour. If highschoolers did that, they should probably be sent back to magic kindergarten for being so dense to begin with, kupo.

Which apparently even grown adults still insist on doing to make themselves feel relevant again because being ignored equates to being dead to themselves. Can they just please stop thinking of their egos for one millisecond?!

• Brohoof 1

15 minutes ago, PCutter said:

Sweetie Belle= dictionary 

Wow, it's been many many years since I heard the Sweetie Belle thing. I thought it died out by when that season ended.

16 minutes ago, PCutter said:

Luna= Perfect in every way 

This one I never heard of. I thought the general perception was her being sort of an antiquate dork with emo tendencies. Guess I'm trapped back in 2011 xD

17 minutes ago, PCutter said:

AJ= background pony 

This one is merely to make AJ fans mad. Though they are playing this with AJ on pony life in a way she's more conscious and that makes her break the 4th wall often. Like, she's so much of a bg pony she is somewhat immune to the lolrandom crap going on and doesn't seem to be affected by the idiot ball either.

20 minutes ago, PCutter said:

20%

Is the fandom's fault this one lived on for so long. It became our motto for a while, and even ashcorp made it a song.

I guess is more of a case of "they ruined it" rather than anything else. It was fun when it was our inner joke and not the forced sitcom joke used by the show writers.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
53 minutes ago, Jesse Terrence said:

This one I never heard of. I thought the general perception was her being sort of an antiquate dork with emo tendencies. Guess I'm trapped back in 2011 xD

The general attitude was that Luna came out on top on every poll, she had more substance than every pony put together individually and combined and you can't even do a simple Google without seeing some disgusting adulation for her that shouldn't even involve her.

And no. Don't blame yourself. Blame every single stubborn jackass who insists that everything about MLP in 2011 is still relevant like some time loop.

Is the fandom's fault this one lived on for so long. It became our motto for a while, and even ashcorp made it a song.

I guess is more of a case of "they ruined it" rather than anything else. It was fun when it was our inner joke and not the forced sitcom joke used by the show writers.

No. This inner joke became the forced sitcom joke that you (not you specifically) created. Another dead horse that must stay dead.

Wow, it's been many many years since I heard the Sweetie Belle thing. I thought it died out by when that season ended.

ters.

It's a small percentage, but still a nuisance nevertheless like all the others.

This one is merely to make AJ fans mad. Though they are playing this with AJ on pony life in a way she's more conscious and that makes her break the 4th wall often. Like, she's so much of a bg pony she is somewhat immune to the lolrandom crap going on and doesn't seem to be affected by the idiot ball either

Well it certainly pisses me off to the end of existence. These people do this with clear hostility towards her and her fans. I mean, what exactly has she done to send your world crashing down?

Edited by PCutter

10 minutes ago, PCutter said:

Well it certainly pisses me off to the end of existence. These people do this with clear hostility towards her and her fans. 

I myself am a fan of hers. For years she's been my favorite mane 6 character. But I myself take a jab at her every now and then with the bg pony thing. We must admit she's a neglected character, but mainly because she has always been the most matured one from the mane 6. She didn't have much room to grow because she didn't really need to grow much, passing to be a rather stationary character (or background character). Even on the movie she had very little lines and screen time.

37 minutes ago, PCutter said:

The general attitude was that Luna came out on top on every poll, she had more substance than every pony put together individually and combined and you can't even do a simple Google without seeing some disgusting adulation for her that shouldn't even involve her. 

People loved Luna because the 1000 years of banishment was present on the mind of everyone. It was inspiring for many, too, as it portrayed isolation which was something most of us went through in the early days. Being a brony wasn't merely an excentricity back then. We were constantly harassed by other fandoms and the media. People grew on Luna because they could feel empathy for her. She used to win the polls back then because she was a character we wanted to see but never got to until season 2. Fan comics and fanfics also did their part to portray her as a woobie destroyer of worlds and her first design made us feel bad for her. She looked like sort of a filly instead of a grown mare. The collective idea was that she was a confused filly strugling with neglection and rage who had been isolated when she needed her sister the most. Unfortunately, just like with Celestia and Cadence, the show did little justice to expand on their characters and we have barely any actual information on their real personalities, motivations and emotions. Luna is just a stoic creep who watches ponies sleep, Celestia is a slightly mischievious goodiepants ruler and Cadence is... well, the mom of a baby (Sad to think her character was reduced to that).

Neither has enough substance.

16 minutes ago, PCutter said:

And no. Don't blame yourself. Blame every single stubborn jackass who insists that everything about MLP in 2011 is still relevant like some time loop. 

Problem is, the 2011 era is the one that defined the fandom. I was there, and I can tell you people were happier and kinder to each other. The fandom nowadays is nothing like back then. Even fan content has dropped incredibly. I can't blame other fans for trying to keep alive the lights of better times. Is not like newbloods do much to innovate or keep the fan content flowing. And back then some ideas created trends that people explored in several ways and gave us amazing twists. Several golden era musicians made their best songs based on popular fics and some even on jokes and scandals. Some games became the base for fics and comics that explored new situations. Many fics opened up paths for all sorts of spin-off fics, topics and more. Even I preserve these memories and share pieces of history so people doesn't forget.

All well, I kind of not get how Luna comes into the humor thing from the topic if we're not taking the comical approach on her writing fanfics or being awkward, but ok

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
20 minutes ago, Jesse Terrence said:

I myself am a fan of hers. For years she's been my favorite mane 6 character. But I myself take a jab at her every now and then with the bg pony thing. We must admit she's a neglected character, but mainly because she has always been the most matured one from the mane 6. She didn't have much room to grow because she didn't really need to grow much, passing to be a rather stationary character (or background character). Even on the movie she had very little lines and screen time. 

Look, I'm really angry about this because I have a number of people in my life who have been underdogs, who are neglected and spat on by the rest of society. They are never given chances because everyone else wants to have their stereotypes, and thus themselves, confirmed. Yes I'm fully aware that may be irrelevant. But I care about the little person. I care about the invisible, the insignificant faces in the crowd and the "worthless" or "just another (insert label here)."

Shouldn't they have the same opportunities and happiness like the rest? Why should I be a criminal for projecting those oppressed onto her and then projecting those feelings into this case?

Edited by PCutter
  • Brohoof 1

I only like things that make me laugh. Some humor just doesn't do that. Others do. Sometimes it is brutal. Sometimes it is evil. I wish it wasn't!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

For so long I've always disliked everyone who tried to always joke around because I equated them to never treating anything seriously. In my case all those who chose to be so lackadaisical flunked their classes, lost their own friend circles, got disowned by their parents, and even got jailed.

Edited by PCutter

After reading these posts, I still don’t understand what qualifies as “regular” humor.

I am going to add my two cents anyway... I have no problem with any and all jokes. They can be the most offensive thing I have ever heard or something totally random/stupid. I think that a lot of people just need to chill out and not be so offended nowadays.

3 minutes ago, Bakugou is my Man said:

I am going to add my two cents anyway... I have no problem with any and all jokes. They can be the most offensive thing I have ever heard or something totally random/stupid. I think that a lot of people just need to chill out and not be so offended nowadays.

Even when said jokes end up truly hurting someone?

Just now, PCutter said:

Even when said jokes end up truly hurting someone?

If someone gets that offended by a joke, they need to take a step back and realize that it’s just that, a joke. Anything and everything should be okay to joke about.

Just now, Bakugou is my Man said:

If someone gets that offended by a joke, they need to take a step back and realize that it’s just that, a joke. Anything and everything should be okay to joke about.

Well to be fair, some people use the “just a joke” excuse in order to try and get away with abusing others or just being a garden variety jerk. It deflects the interpersonal consequences.

Also “know your audience” is a key tenant of comedy for a reason. Not everything you say, even in jest, will be appreciated by everyone.

When people makes jokes at the expense of autistic people in front of me, an autistic person, I tell them I don’t appreciate it. The only reason they thought it was okay was because I come off as a neurotypical person on the surface.

“It’s just a prank, bro!” is a meme for a reason. Sometimes, you’re just not funny.

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

Well to be fair, some people use the “just a joke” excuse in order to try and get away with abusing others or just being a garden variety jerk. It deflects the interpersonal consequences.

Also “know your audience” is a key tenant of comedy for a reason. Not everything you say, even in jest, will be appreciated by everyone.

When people makes jokes at the expense of autistic people in front of me, an autistic person, I tell them I don’t appreciate it. The only reason they thought it was okay was because I come off as a neurotypical person on the surface.

“It’s just a prank, bro!” is a meme for a reason. Sometimes, you’re just not funny.

Of course. Sometimes people use the “it’s just a joke bro” to just get away with being an asshole. If you’re telling jokes to straight up only be a dick, you’re not funny. I’m mostly referring to actual jokes that are told similarly and casually to: “Why did the chicken cross the road?” (Obviously can’t tell a super offensive joke here). That being said, that doesn’t mean I can’t ever understand where someone is coming from when they may be offended by a joke. I certainly can. For example, I don’t really approve of jokes about animal cruelty but if someone makes one, I’m not going to go off on them. I’ll just tell them I’m not a big fan of that kind of humor. In the end, I know it’s just a joke and no real harm was likely meant by it.

1 minute ago, Bakugou is my Man said:

Of course. Sometimes people use the “it’s just a joke bro” to just get away with being an asshole. If you’re telling jokes to straight up only be a dick, you’re not funny. I’m mostly referring to actual jokes that are told similarly and casually to: “Why did the chicken cross the road?” (Obviously can’t tell a super offensive joke here). That being said, that doesn’t mean I can’t ever understand where someone is coming from when they may be offended by a joke. I certainly can. For example, I don’t really approve of jokes about animal cruelty but if someone makes one, I’m not going to go off on them. I’ll just tell them I’m not a big fan of that kind of humor. In the end, I know it’s just a joke and no real harm was likely meant by it.

We’re pretty much on the same page then. I definitely don’t approve of EXPLODING at someone for a joke that seems mean-spirited. You can express your feelings calmly.

If they care about you, they should definitely care when they’re overstepping your boundaries.